Une place à prendre by J. K. Rowling

Une place à prendre (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J. K. Rowling, Pierre Demarty (Traduction)

5,223425851 (3.41)2 / 260
Member:Steph.
Title:Une place à prendre
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Pierre Demarty (Traduction)
Info:Grasset (2012), Broché, 682 pages
Collections:Livres lus
Rating:***1/2

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Good books, unlikeable characters.
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (394)  Dutch (8)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (425)
Much better than expected. Rowling exhibits literary chops not in evidence in the HP series. I enjoyed it. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
I tried reading this (almost exactly) a year ago. I made it less than 100 pages before giving up. Here we go again.
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I was hooked. I thought it made a good point in how social work and those who need help are treated. Very glad to have read it. ( )
  wolfeyluvr | Jun 22, 2016 |
Pagford is a small town in England which reminds you of any small town you may know. The people are everyday people and the issues are everyday issues that people face in their lives - health, marriage, relationships, drugs, abuse, neglect, suicides.
J. K. Rowling has written The Casual Vacancy which to me could have been entitled The Death of a Small Town. The characters are well developed, self-centered and entertaining. The writing is very good and at times very funny but still very sad.
Barry Fairbrother has died and left an empty seat on the parish council and has sent the town into a frazzle. Read this book to see how the characters in Pagford react to his death and how it has affected their lives.
I could really identify with this satirical book. Having served 12 years on my borough council, I found this book to be a true study of vivid characters in a small town. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 4, 2016 |
  EadieB | Jun 4, 2016 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,786,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible