Ein plötzlicher Todesfall by Joanne K.…

Ein plötzlicher Todesfall (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joanne K. Rowling, Susanne Aeckerle (Übersetzer), Marion Balkenhol (Übersetzer)

5,288431836 (3.41)2 / 260
Member:Golo
Title:Ein plötzlicher Todesfall
Authors:Joanne K. Rowling
Other authors:Susanne Aeckerle (Übersetzer), Marion Balkenhol (Übersetzer)
Info:Carlsen (2012), Ausgabe: 1., Auflage, Gebundene Ausgabe, 576 Seiten
Rating:****1/2

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Good books, unlikeable characters.
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (400)  Dutch (8)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (430)
I really enjoyed this book. It took a little bit for me to get into it but I think it has to do with the thick English accents and the huge amount of POVs. I thought that the book being a about a small town felt just like living in a small town. It was a bit hard to keep track of all the people at first, but once you get that straight its very interesting and does a good job conveying the smallness of the town. Every so often the POVs change very quickly and at some points it takes a minute to realize that its switched to someone else's POV.

Overall I enjoyed the story although it is a tad dark. The story is beautifully woven together. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Jul 26, 2016 |
Wow, loved it. The intricacy and believability of each individual was enchanting. You could condemn or love each and every one of them. It has shown me that nobody is perfect, everybody struggles against their own demons. Nothing is as clear cut as it seems. ( )
  RoseyEm | Jul 14, 2016 |
I came into this book not expecting much as I'd heard from some that they found it underwhelming and full of too many characters. But I really really enjoyed this. Rowling is just so so good at creating detestable qualities in her characters and I loved the ways in which she interwove her characters paths together. Yes, the amount of them can be overwhelming in the beginning but once I had a hold on who is who and what their relations to one another were, I was engrossed. At times I found this book to be incredibly depressing (as the subject matter is often quite heavy) but I just really wanted to keep reading in order to find out what would become of the characters. ( )
  pattjl | Jul 12, 2016 |
I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this book. It's been sitting on my TBR list and I kept passing it up. Then I saw that HBO was making a mini-series out of it and I didn't want to watch it before I read it.

What an incredible character study. Rowling connects the citizens in Pagford to one another in interesting and sometimes unexpected ways. I wasn't sure where most of the story lines were going much of the time and I didn't want the book to end. I felt like I knew these people, the good and the bad.

Now I'm off to watch the show. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
I’m a J.K. Rowling fan and a huge Harry Potter fan so I was looking forward to reading this book. Just because an author is really good at one genre doesn’t necessarily mean they are good at another. I stuck with the book because it was J.K. Rowling. If it had been an author I had never read before, I would have stopped at about 50 pages. This book never really grabbed my attention. There were so many “main” characters I got confused at who belonged to whom. Even to the end I’m still confused at which kid belongs to which adult. Towards the end when there was discussion of a Maureen I thought “Who is Maureen?” I also didn’t care for the way Krystal spoke in the book. There is one thing to have an accent, but another to have every word a character speaks, be almost not there. ‘e , ‘ere, ‘obbie and so forth. When every word in a sentence starts with a ‘ it can slow down the reader who has to stop and figure out what the person is saying.

It’s really too bad that this book was a disappointment for me. Maybe if there had been excitement at the beginning to pull me in (Barry dying wasn’t that exciting), and the characters were more likeable to begin with, I might have stuck with it. I just didn’t feel any flow like I usually do with a book. I like to be “carried” along with the characters and instead I felt like I was being dragged. I was disappointed and feel like that is a week I won’t get back.
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,565,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible