The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J.K. Rowling

4,0533451,255 (3.43)2 / 220
Member:dragon178
Title:The Casual Vacancy
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

English (311)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (340)
Twelve year olds can read this easily! It's not middle school! I don't know how to use Goodreads, but I started this book on the day after Christmas and finished it by Lauren Conrad's birthday on February first before Groundhog Day. I think she was 26. LC by Lauren Conrad is perfect for dressing up to go to prom. I think that's for prom. Flirt! She just turned 27 two days ago. Her 28th year for 28 Records is about to expire, and we need a new book! It's not the last Mary Russell novel. I really can be as mature as at least two years younger than 29 at Kohl's by now. Stop going to two years older than me! iJustine, MyHarto, Olsen twins, Life-Size, & Tumblr. Goodreads is really complicated. I keep thinking I am Krystal Meadows, the voice of Ladonna Compson on Arthur 2012 season 16. We just got it on Netflix. ( )
  allygggggg | Jan 10, 2015 |
It is impossible to forget the author when reading this book. It is to her credit then to have written both the Harry Potter series and this, it's antithesis. A world without magic, hope, a hero, or redemption.

I always enjoy Rowling's obsessive attention to detail; however it took me a while to fully appreciate the effort here. About half way through the book I wasn't sure that I cared about the characters regardless of their depth, by three-quarters I'd formed allegiances and hatreds, and by the end I breathed with and loathed them.

This is a slow read without a gripping central plot. However, if you appreciate reading for the sake of good writing it is well worth the effort. The full impact of the novel sneaks up on you, and is ultimately satisfying. ( )
  Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |
Rowling proves she can write poorly if she wants to.

This book is about how much J.K. despises the English middle class. There are no good people in this story even though it has twenty main characters.

I don't care anything about British domestic politics but if you do, you may either be entertained or hate this political diatribe.

In each scene, Rowling tells you what every character is thinking. The writing is lazy. There is no plot. The characters are developed by Rowling telling what to think about them.

The story is that some mediocre guy dies and leaves a vacancy on the town council. Several people want it because they lead completely empty lives and have nothing of interest to do. There is a middle school girl whose mother is a drug addict and was a favorite of the dead councilman. She seeks self worth by having sex with a fat boy whose fat father runs a small business. The father goes to an Indian doctor who hates him and everybody else.

In the end, the girl kills herself for no apparent reason and you are supposed to feel sorry for her. But don't because she escapes this awful story and it ends--which is the only good part. ( )
  Mister.Furkles | Jan 4, 2015 |
The book tells the tale of how one event, significant to one, seemingly insignificant to others, can steamroll changes in other people's lives without them being aware of the source. The death of a man in a town changes the lives of almost every one in it. It does not have a fairy tale ending, and strings are left loose, in a way that they should be. One of the main characters leaves a stain on the lives of others, while at least one person remembers to view them for the soul that they are--not what others believed. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, but it is difficult to put down. ( )
  ms.gaudreault | Jan 2, 2015 |

Very well written and an excellent plot with deeply flawed characters. It is a highly realistic book and won't put a smile on your face whatsoever. Won't ever live up To expectations of fans but I very much enjoyed this. Quite similar in style to Jonathan Franzen. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor,
teenagers at war with their parents,
 wives at war with their husbands,
 teachers at war with their pupils….

Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

2202 wanted8 pay11 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,064,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible