Ein plötzlicher Todesfall by Joanne K.…

Ein plötzlicher Todesfall (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joanne K. Rowling

4,0653471,249 (3.43)2 / 220
Member:Cornelia16
Title:Ein plötzlicher Todesfall
Authors:Joanne K. Rowling
Info:Carlsen Verlag GmbH (2012), Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:England, Kleinstadt, Gesellschaft, Roman

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

English (317)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (346)
Overall it was slow to start, but it picked up quite a lot in the second half. This book is pretty intense and doesn't shy away from anything.

More to come... ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Well, this was depressing! Centred around the replacement of a popular local councillor and focussing on local politics, gossip, issues and scandal, it was peopled with generally unlikeable and/or miserable characters. All life is here: domestic violence, mental health issues, a teenager who cuts herself, drug addiction, rape, child neglect, adultery, professional misconduct, deaths, etc, etc. I think Kay might have been the only reasonably normal, well-intentioned, hard-working, caring parent among all the main characters. Style-wise the writing reminded me of Joanna Trollope, although her novels generally include an element of redemption and/or hope. Not recommended. ( )
  pgchuis | Jan 26, 2015 |
I was really hoping that this book would be good, but I was really disappointed. I managed to get to page 331, and that was a struggle. The only reason I read on that long was because I believed that stopping earlier would not allow for a truly fair review. I am now convinced that I read more than enough to know that this book is not worth the time.

The whole thing seemed clumsy and felt like she was trying to do more with the story than she actually had the skill to do. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I've read the series twice now and plan to read it again, but I feel that maybe Rowling should stick with the YA genre. While the writing was a little more mature than we saw in the Harry Potter books, I still do not feel that it was to the caliber of adult fiction.

On top of this, I had plenty of other issues with the book that I felt could have been fixed, but I have this nagging feeling that she didn't have a great editor since they probably figured that her name would sell the book. These issues are:

1.There were too many characters. While reading I kept having to turn back pages to figure out who was related to who. At the same time, I didn't understand why some of them were even characters as they weren't highly important to the story or the development of other characters.

2.Because of the huge amount of characters she often had POV problems. The POV often changed in the middle of a chapter with no warning, not even a paragraph break, which sometimes led to me keep thinking I was in someone else's head rather than who's head I was actually in. Cutting down the amount of characters would have helped since it appears that she wanted to get into everyone's head when she didn't have to, thus leading to confusion.

3.There were often these long sections that she would but into parenthesis to explain back story for whichever character was being focused on at the time. They were distracting and took the reader away from what was actually happening in the story. Sometimes this even happened in the middle of conversations and they were so long that I would have to go back and remind myself of what was being talked about before the interruption. If she really wanted the back story, she should have incorporated into the story rather than taking us out of it to explain certain details. Also, some of these extra back story tidbits were not important to either the story or our views of the character.

4.She has a character in the book that is practically a carbon-copy of Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye, and I hate that book solely because I hate Holden Caulfield. The only main differences are that Fats uses the work inauthentic instead of phony (which is just a pretentious way of saying phony), and he has a sort of girlfriend that he actually has sex with. This, of course made me hate this character with every fiber of my being right off the bat.

5.The story is uninteresting. It's a very slow crawl of a plot about people in a town fighting over gets the vacated seat in the city council and along the way lots of family stuff crops up that sometimes affects how the characters react to things.

That's about it. I don't care about any of the character since none of them are totally likable and there are some characters that I would just like to push in front of a bus. And not in that, "I love to hate them" way. Just in a "you are super annoying and need to leave" way.
In the end, I would not recommend this book to anyone, unless they would like to read a book that is an example of an editor dropping the ball. Many issues could have been fixed that weren't and even then, I'm still not sure that the book would have been any good, it just would have been a little less painful to read. As it is, I should have stopped earlier on and used the time that I spent on this book reading A Feast for Crows. This being said, I'm still going to try The Cuckoo's Calling, but my hopes are not very high. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I had read her justifiably famous Harry Potter series and enjoyed it as charming fantasy fiction, written for children but enjoyable for this adult. When I started The Casual Vacancy, I didn't free fall into the plot and characters as easily as I expected to. But somewhere along the line, fairly early in, the characters became more round, and I found myself wanting to know more about their lives, which was quite sophisticated plotting. I look forward to more from Rowling. NOTE: I imagine this would be an excellent YA read as the teenage characters as well as the plotting should be relatable. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor,
teenagers at war with their parents,
 wives at war with their husbands,
 teachers at war with their pupils….

Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

2202 wanted8 pay11 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,160,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible