The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J.K. Rowling

5,349432819 (3.41)2 / 260
Member:curvymommy
Title:The Casual Vacancy
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Started, Not Finished
Rating:*
Tags:Abandoned

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Good books, unlikeable characters.
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (402)  Dutch (8)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (432)
I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this book. It's been sitting on my TBR list and I kept passing it up. Then I saw that HBO was making a mini-series out of it and I didn't want to watch it before I read it.

What an incredible character study. Rowling connects the citizens in Pagford to one another in interesting and sometimes unexpected ways. I wasn't sure where most of the story lines were going much of the time and I didn't want the book to end. I felt like I knew these people, the good and the bad.

Now I'm off to watch the show. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
First, I am going to say I finished this book because I had to for a challenge.
Second, I am going to say that I did NOT read this book ONLY because it was written by one of my favorite authors.
Third, This book was nothing like I expected.
This book was horrible and I swear I had to push myself to even finish it.
It was boring, all over the place, and I am sad that I had to take the time out of my life that I will never get back after reading this book.
Sorry. If the truth hurts it is how I feel.
Everyone else loved it so hell you might too. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
After a local councilman dies, a group of teenagers causes chaos and misunderstandings among the candidates, oldtimers face off against newcomers, and the rich, settled families of the small town against the inhabitants of a public housing development nearby, with tragic results. ( )
  lilibrarian | Aug 1, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It took a little bit for me to get into it but I think it has to do with the thick English accents and the huge amount of POVs. I thought that the book being a about a small town felt just like living in a small town. It was a bit hard to keep track of all the people at first, but once you get that straight its very interesting and does a good job conveying the smallness of the town. Every so often the POVs change very quickly and at some points it takes a minute to realize that its switched to someone else's POV.

Overall I enjoyed the story although it is a tad dark. The story is beautifully woven together. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Jul 26, 2016 |
Wow, loved it. The intricacy and believability of each individual was enchanting. You could condemn or love each and every one of them. It has shown me that nobody is perfect, everybody struggles against their own demons. Nothing is as clear cut as it seems. ( )
  RoseyEm | Jul 14, 2016 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

The early death of a small town councilman reveals deep-rooted conflicts in the seemingly idyllic community of Pagford, which rapidly deteriorates in the face of cultural disputes, generation clashes, and a volatile election.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible