The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J.K. Rowling

4,6713841,014 (3.42)2 / 247
Title:The Casual Vacancy
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (345)  Dutch (7)  French (5)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (375)
This book was gut wrenching, gritty, dirty and it felt real.

It focuses on a community that lives in Pagford, and the reader is introduced to the daily reality of ordinary people's lives in a way that is as bizarre as an episode of 'Desperate Housewives'. The reader is introduced to several issues such as: domestic violence, rape, drug use, mental illness, infidelity, teenage sex and much more of the seedy part of life. I loved reading about everybody's back stories and got engrossed in the issues that were affecting Pagfords residents.

The end of the book was sobering but completely realistic and I thought it was a perfect ending.

A great departure from Harry Potter by Rowling! ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
I don't know what to say about this. It didn't deserve the goodreads award for "best fiction". I liked it. It's well, real life I suppose. Rowling's isn't the best prose author, but she's never been known for her prose. It's not a murder mystery, It's not harry potter, and it's definitely not a children's novel. It's a story about a small british town with a small slumish run down drug addled area stuck on to it and the fight to push the run down section back off to another town. ( )
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
I got this from the library and I am glad I did. I didn't finish it, the characters didn't draw me in and when I stopped I found I did not care. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Non sono riuscita ad andare oltre la metà. Magari lo riprendo più avanti.
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
In the small English town of Pagford, a local officeholder dies suddenly, leaving his seat vacant. The ensuing events, including political maneuvering, revealing, devastating posts online in the name of the dead man's ghost and much backstabbing and gossip, make an interesting story. I enjoyed the book very much. Although there are some English references unfamiliar to Americans, the human frailties, class diferences and biases, small town gossip and basic relationship issues make the book relatable. With no wizardry or magic involved, it is not for Harry Potter fans, but is a good adult read. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.
Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.
This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)
It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)
The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rowling, J. K.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,913,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible