The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by J.K. Rowling

5,431435799 (3.41)2 / 260
Member:Hecate1118
Title:The Casual Vacancy
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (2012)

The Red House by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    NW by Zadie Smith (bibliothequaire)
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (jll1976)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: English small town nonsense, nobody's life flowing smoothly, lots of headstrong people making unwise choices, and social standing is king.
    Capital by John Lanchester (jll1976)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (kinsey_m)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Good books, unlikeable characters.
    The Children of Dynmouth by William Trevor (Imprinted)
    Solar by Ian McEwan (raulvilar)
    When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (jll1976)

English (404)  Dutch (8)  German (5)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (435)
Unappealing characters, depressing story and zero spark in the prose equals to one of the worst reading experiences I've had in a long time. After two attempts at trying to read Harry Potter and now this dreary book, I've given up on Rowling as an author. There isn't a single character in the cast that the reader can care about, most are insipidly stupid to make a point about class or simply irredeemable losers with stories that seem to all add up to a common theme, human beings are miserable creatures. In leaving the world of YA-friendly fantasy, Rowling seems to revel in the seedier side of adult and teen life equally, with plenty of hormones and some sexual deviant behavior that the author seems to think is her ticket to being recognized as an adult author. Her talents would have been focused on crafting a more solid and less rambling story. Both with the Potter books and here, the nature of class and what one's status of birth entitles you in society form the backbone theme in her storytelling. However, wherein the Potter books offers the readers a generous amount of fantasy and adventure to enjoy, there are no such pleasures here. A terrible book. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I knew I shouldn't compare it to Harry Potter but, at the same time, it was a little difficult not to at the beginning-- it was the only thing by JK Rowling that I had read and the series had been such a large part of my childhood. Clearly, this book had nothing in common with Harry Potter besides the superb writing.
This is a character-driven novel as opposed to a plot-driven novel. This made it quite a bit difficult to get through the first hundred pages or so. In fact, I almost put it down several times with no thought of finishing the novel. However, I felt that I owed more to JK Rowling so I pushed through and it was certainly worth it. ( )
  serogers02 | Aug 27, 2016 |
I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this book. It's been sitting on my TBR list and I kept passing it up. Then I saw that HBO was making a mini-series out of it and I didn't want to watch it before I read it.

What an incredible character study. Rowling connects the citizens in Pagford to one another in interesting and sometimes unexpected ways. I wasn't sure where most of the story lines were going much of the time and I didn't want the book to end. I felt like I knew these people, the good and the bad.

Now I'm off to watch the show. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
First, I am going to say I finished this book because I had to for a challenge.
Second, I am going to say that I did NOT read this book ONLY because it was written by one of my favorite authors.
Third, This book was nothing like I expected.
This book was horrible and I swear I had to push myself to even finish it.
It was boring, all over the place, and I am sad that I had to take the time out of my life that I will never get back after reading this book.
Sorry. If the truth hurts it is how I feel.
Everyone else loved it so hell you might too. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
After a local councilman dies, a group of teenagers causes chaos and misunderstandings among the candidates, oldtimers face off against newcomers, and the rich, settled families of the small town against the inhabitants of a public housing development nearby, with tragic results. ( )
  lilibrarian | Aug 1, 2016 |
Set in the fictional village of Pagford, The Casual Vacancy at first seems to have all the trappings of the adorable-English-town novel—an updating of Jane Austen viewed through the loving lens of a Merchant Ivory production. But the book’s misanthropy is more indebted to Hardy or Somerset Maugham, both known for their deep distrust of humankind and their sense of the viciousness that can spring up among neighbors.

Rowling has spoken of the sense of risk in embarking on this novel. The Harry Potter series must have been a tough act to follow. What she wanted to do here, I guess, was to seize on the world we can all see without going through Platform 9¾. She has done that to stunning effect.

This is a novel of insight and skill, deftly drawn and, at the end, cleverly pulled together. It plays to her strengths as a storyteller. That will not stop the envious from carping.
added by eereed | editThe Economist (Sep 29, 2012)

It is not the sort of book that hordes of people would choose to read if its author had not also written a far more comforting series of stratospheric bestsellers. But perhaps the world will be better for them reading it. Rowling may not be an easy woman, but she uses her powers for good.
added by lampbane | editSalon, Laura Miller (Sep 28, 2012)

The Casual Vacancy is a sour novel, one that seems designed to leave Rowling’s biggest, most avid fans feeling as though she sort of hates them. For all its readability—I had no problem tearing through the whole thing today after buying it from a bewildered bookstore clerk at 7:30 in the morning—the book reveals that though she remains a careful observer of human foibles, Rowling the writer isn’t well-served by her enforced isolation.
added by DieFledermaus | editSlate, Dan Kois (Sep 27, 2012)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Demarty, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Neil
Barry Fairbrother did not want to go out to dinner.
He thought that it was all over, finished, done with. Andrew had never yet had reason to observe the first tiny bubble of fermenting yeast, in which was contained an inevitable, alchemical transformation.

The early death of a small town councilman reveals deep-rooted conflicts in the seemingly idyllic community of Pagford, which rapidly deteriorates in the face of cultural disputes, generation clashes, and a volatile election.

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock and the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,217,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible