Heresy: Ten Lies They Spread About…

Heresy: Ten Lies They Spread About Christianity

by Michael Coren

Heresy is a book that should be kept handy by almost all Christians, today. Too many of us today do not have a solid base in knowledge of our own religion. While we may read the Bible, some, and listen to the preacher when we go to church, often we are inundated with media that we accept as fact about Christianity. The media is often not well researched, and possibly even anti-Christian, and since our own base is fragile, we have nothing with which to rebut the information. We watch movies that have vague connections to Biblical facts, and we believe they are true, or someone challenges us about our beliefs and we can only give enigmatic statements that may allow others to loose interest in Christianity or even shake our own beliefs. Michael Coren has completed the research for the top ten challenges of non-Christians to Christianity.

Coren, the best-selling author of fourteen books, as well as an award winning print and television journalist, uses his research ability and capacity for argument to defend Christianity on such topics as Jesus is a myth, Christianity supports slavery, is racist, anti-intellectual, and others. Coren gives historical background, and explains reasons for such attacks and presents information that solidifies defenses with facts other than the Bible. While Christianity is based on the Bible, history holds information that supports the Bible, and often Christians are unaware of the historical facts.

This is a very interesting read and I would recommend this book for anyone interested in furthering their knowledge of the Christian faith, and all Christians to strengthen their beliefs and their arguments for those beliefs. ( )
  Glenajo | Jun 9, 2012 |
Reason for Reading: I'm a fan of Michael Coren both in print and on TV, I enjoyed his last book and the topic is of interest to me.

Reading this book is like sitting down and having an intelligent conversation with someone who shares all your interests but happens to have quite a bit more knowledge on the subjects than you do. Totally fascinating. Awe-inducing. I have basic information on these topics to begin with but Mr. Coren goes deep into the historical background of Christianity on many varied aspects and this book is a goldmine of inspiring information. Coren proves all his conclusions with samplings from the words of great thinks throughout the ages and my list of authors to read in the future has multiplied: from ancient sources, to saints, theologians from the middle ages up to scientists, newscasters, medical professionals and so on.

Coren's purpose in this book is to provide the Christian with "logical ... self defence." "A handbook for followers of Christ who want to intellectualize the instinctive and provide a solid response to the increasingly malicious anti-Christian propaganda campaign...." This book is certainly for the intellectual but also for the person wanting to put their thoughts together more intellectually with the right materials. It's all here, everything you could possibly want to know to defend ten common misconceptions about Christians (regardless of denomination), but it is also simply terribly informative to someone who doesn't know his own Christian heritage, our heroes, how we shaped the world, how we changed the world, what the world would look like today without the advancements made by Christians whose Christianity made them seek out to better the world. Fascinating reading! ( )
  ElizaJane | May 12, 2012 |

Bestselling author Michael Coren explodes popular myths about the history, beliefs, and culture of Christianity.

Michael Coren explores why and how Christians and Christian ideas are caricatured in popular media as well as in sophisticated society. He takes on, and debunks, ten great myths about Christianity: that it supports slavery, is racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-intellectual, anti-Semitic, provokes war, resists progress, and is repressive and irrelevant. In a climate that is increasingly as ignorant of Christianity as it is good at condemning it, Coren gives historical background, provides examples of how these attacks are made, and explains the reality of the Christian response, outlining authentic Christian beliefs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:17:07 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible