A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the…

A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the Pga Tour (edition 1995)

by John Feinstein

Member:jburlinson
Title:A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the Pga Tour
Authors:John Feinstein
Info:Little Brown & Co (T) (1995), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 475 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Golf

A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the PGA Tour by John Feinstein

Recently added byprivate library, boelsner, JohnKoh, lynch, bookie53, jayemac, sst99, ganderlibrary

John Feinstein captures the world of professional golf as it has never been captured before. Traveling with the golfers on the PGA Tour, he gets inside the heads of the games greatest players as well as its struggling wannabes. IN golf, Feinstein eloquently relates, the line that separates triumph from disappointment is incredibly fine. "One week you've discovered the secret of the game; the next week you never want to play it again." ( )
  Gatorhater | Jun 26, 2013 |
This is the 1st book I've ever read that made golf interesting and made me consider taking it up. It chronicles the almost soap opera events in a year of the US PGA tour.
It is brilliantly written and made me seek out other works from the author . ( )
  Vin1 | Nov 9, 2008 |
One of the best books about the PGA tour. Even if you are not a fan this is a good read. ( )
  foof2you | Oct 1, 2008 |
I loved the golf commentary, especially when Feinstein covered the majors, Q-school, and the Ryder Cup. The book drags quite a bit otherwise. I lost interest in a lot of the "off the course" stuff. This almost seemed like two different books, one fascinating and one dull. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jun 11, 2008 |
I greatly enjoyed this book. It gives a lot of insight into the players who we watch on weekends, and definitely demystifies them. What I found astonishing (although not surprising I guess) was how most players are so conservative--whining and complaining about how they have to pay taxes on their huge winnings. I would not say that this "spoils" my view of players, but certainly diminishes them in my eyes.

I always enjoy Feinstein's writing and comments on NPR. ( )
  readertyme | Feb 1, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316277371, Paperback)

On those magnificent days on which your drives split the fairway down the middle and your wedge shots leave you putting for birdie, you think: "I wonder if I could do this for a living." After all, guys in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, guys no one heard of until recently, are making planeloads of money on the various golf tours (and buying private planes to take them from one big-money tournament to the next). A Good Walk Spoiled is a bit of a reality check. John Feinstein chronicles the struggles of the top golfers in the game, as well as those trying to get onto the PGA Tour. These are gifted players who've devoted their lives to the game, and on any given day they could just flat out stink. A Good Walk Spoiled is a completely engaging book from first page to last, a wonderfully observed and masterfully told story of pain and profit in the world's most frustrating sport.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:52 -0400)

John Feinstein captures perfectly the world of professional golf. Traveling with the golfers on the PGA Tour, Feinstein gets inside the heads of the game's greatest players as well as its struggling wannabees.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible