I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence…

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

by Amy Sedaris

"This is not a joke cookbook." says the intro. It's true: the recipes look legit (I love the ghost sheet cake with the flaming eyes), and there is a lot of actually good advice. Although, stick-in-the-mud that I am, I was a little put off by some of the references to substance use.

The main philosophy of the book is to make your guests happy and comfortable, and not feel out of place. That's good etiquette. But this particular hostess will go out of her way to accomplish that, with suggestions that, if followed to the letter by a normal (boring) person with regular friends, will get a few odd looks. Creative, yes. Attempt in real life? Hmmm. I suppose if you're in an artistic group then this just might work for you. People will love how Dada it is (shock value! how unusual!) Think ghetto-Martha. So proceed to read with tongue firmly in cheek, because that's how many sections seem to have been written.

I imagine this is what kind of hostess I'd be if I planned and threw a party while inebriated: earnest, intense, well-meaning, but a little wacky, and any filters/censors dissolving by the third glass of strong punch. Like My Drunk Kitchen, but doing a better job at covering up the alcohol/pot fumes and putting on a pretty face.

mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Very entertaining as an audiobook. The sound affects are funny. Hard to get the recipes but that's okay. I tried not to snort out loud as I listened to this at work. I don't think it would have been as funny as a printed book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
It may just be that I'm not cool enough for this book, but after I was bored and annoyed by the audibook, I checked out the hardcover copy to scan for recipes. I hated the book much more. I felt that most of her tips were obvious, useless, not as funny as she was trying to be, and overall just dumb. The pictures, although I'm sure there was some creative and artistic brilliance involved in making it just so, were offensively UGLY, making even the recipes I had thought I might like to try look disgusting.

If you're interested in amazing recipes like, "The best rootbeer float: Add 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in your favorite glass and fill with root beer. Serve with spoon and straw.", you'll perhaps just love this book. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This book is really fun. If you aren't familiar with Amy and her humor, you might not know what you're getting into, but it's great. It's not meant to be taken TOO seriously (like, I don't think she's advocating taking your kids across town blindfolded and the first one who finds home wins) but it's also not entirely a joke. The recipes and hosting ideas are really great, generally, except for the ones that are obviously jokes. Some of the negative reviews confuse me because it seems so obvious to me what is and is not a serious recommendation, but take it as you will.. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
Smutty cookbook, hate to have it lying around. Read for bookclub. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
Dedicated to...Mom, Dad, Lisa, David, Gretchen, Tiffany, Paul, Aunt Joyce, Madelyn Rose, Paul Dinello, and Mr. Mushroom
Dear [your name here], Whether you live in a basement with the income of a ten-year-old girl or on a saffron farm in the south of Spain, the spirit of hospitality is the same.

Are you lacking direction in how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks?  A dinner party for white-collar workers?  A festive gathering for the grieving?  Don't despair.  Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving.  No matter the style or size of the gathering-from the straightforward to the bizarre-I LIKE YOU provides jackpot recipes and solid advice laced with Amy's blisteringly funny take on entertaining, plus four-color photos and enlightening sidebars on everything it takes to pull off a party with extraordinary flair.  You don't even need to be a host or hostess to benefit-Amy offers tips for guests, too!  (Number one:  don't be fifteen minutes early.)  Readers will discover unique dishes to serve alcoholics (Broiled Frozen Chicken Wings with Applesauce), the secret to a successful children's party (a half-hour time limit, games included), plus a whole appendix chock-full of arts and crafts ideas (from a mini-pantyhose plant-hanger to a do-it-yourself calf stretcher), and much, much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

Are you lacking direction in how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks? A dinner party for white-collar workers? A festive gathering for the grieving? Don't despair. Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving. Readers will discover unique dishes to serve alcoholics (Broiled Frozen Chicken Wings with Applesauce), the secret to a successful children's party (a half-hour time limit, games included), plus an appendix of arts and crafts ideas (a mini pantihose plant-hanger), and much more.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible