I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence…

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

by Amy Sedaris

This book is really fun. If you aren't familiar with Amy and her humor, you might not know what you're getting into, but it's great. It's not meant to be taken TOO seriously (like, I don't think she's advocating taking your kids across town blindfolded and the first one who finds home wins) but it's also not entirely a joke. The recipes and hosting ideas are really great, generally, except for the ones that are obviously jokes. Some of the negative reviews confuse me because it seems so obvious to me what is and is not a serious recommendation, but take it as you will.. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
Smutty cookbook, hate to have it lying around. Read for bookclub. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
I like this book.

Dear Amy –

I like your book. No, I love it. No, wait, I totally *heart* it, in fact. It is way awesome. Much like you. I bet you throw the craziest parties. Will you kindly invite me sometime? I know I’m one of those annoying vegans who will totally muck up your dinner menu, but I promise to make it up to you by bringing plenty of booze.

Anyway, back to your book. Why do I *heart* it so? Well, the pictures totally kick it; it takes a special lady to pull off the bottomless-but-for-pantyhose look. Your gourmet masterpieces look yummy despite the animal ingredients. And your diy décor is do-able even for the not-so-crafty among us. Googley eyes on peanuts! Who woulda thunkit? And you’re so retro, too, Amy! Like a Fiona Apple video, or those ‘70s douche ads that all us hairy-legged feminist bloggers like to pass around on the internets. I LIKE YOU is, like, the perfect coffee table book for people who think people who have coffee table books are kinda sorta pretentious jerks. For reals.

But wait! There’s more! Your book also has words! And they make me laugh, and laugh, and laugh. And then chortle and guffaw. And then some more lolz. Your sections on entertaining the elderly, babycakes (sorry, “children”), ladies’ nights and “when you get to play nurse” (not as fun and/or dirt-ay as it sounds) are especially amusing. Even the book flap provides several minutes of enjoyment.

In sum, Amy, you give this misanthrope hope! Plus, you taught me how to locate my vagina with a hand mirror. I will always remember you for that. With much fondness and warmth. Make of that what you will.

hugs & kisses

- k

PS – Did you by chance ever go by the name of Charlene, maybe in the early ‘80s? Because you totally remind me of Dr. Stephen Colbert, DFA’s ex-lover of the same name. No? Whatevs, nm.

PPS – I know it’s you.

PPPS – I am eagerly awaiting my dinner party invite. ( )
1 vote smiteme | Oct 13, 2013 |
Read the first 95 pages and laughed hysterically. After that it seemed to get less funny, though perhaps my mood just changed. I tended to skim the recipes (also all of the food photography was less than appealing - very yellowy-orange), but the text is definitely riotously funny at times. Probably not for all audiences, but her wacky brand of humor will definitely appeal to some. ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 15, 2013 |
Terrible index. ( )
  rhiannong | May 15, 2013 |
Dedicated to...Mom, Dad, Lisa, David, Gretchen, Tiffany, Paul, Aunt Joyce, Madelyn Rose, Paul Dinello, and Mr. Mushroom
Dear [your name here], Whether you live in a basement with the income of a ten-year-old girl or on a saffron farm in the south of Spain, the spirit of hospitality is the same.

Are you lacking direction in how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks?  A dinner party for white-collar workers?  A festive gathering for the grieving?  Don't despair.  Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving.  No matter the style or size of the gathering-from the straightforward to the bizarre-I LIKE YOU provides jackpot recipes and solid advice laced with Amy's blisteringly funny take on entertaining, plus four-color photos and enlightening sidebars on everything it takes to pull off a party with extraordinary flair.  You don't even need to be a host or hostess to benefit-Amy offers tips for guests, too!  (Number one:  don't be fifteen minutes early.)  Readers will discover unique dishes to serve alcoholics (Broiled Frozen Chicken Wings with Applesauce), the secret to a successful children's party (a half-hour time limit, games included), plus a whole appendix chock-full of arts and crafts ideas (from a mini-pantyhose plant-hanger to a do-it-yourself calf stretcher), and much, much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:49 -0400)

Are you lacking direction in how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks? A dinner party for white-collar workers? A festive gathering for the grieving? Don't despair. Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving. Readers will discover unique dishes to serve alcoholics (Broiled Frozen Chicken Wings with Applesauce), the secret to a successful children's party (a half-hour time limit, games included), plus an appendix of arts and crafts ideas (a mini pantihose plant-hanger), and much more.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible