Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom…

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (1967)

by Tom Stoppard

Hamlet by William Shakespeare (guyalice, kxlly)
    guyalice: Reasons should be obvious
    Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (guyalice)
    guyalice: Stoppard's play's been called "Waiting for Hamlet," as both are existentialist plays featuring a pair of clueless (yet tragic) idiots.
    The Reduced Shakespeare Co. presentsThe Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr by Adam Long (meggyweg)
    The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard (palaephata)
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both (in vastly different tones) play with the awareness that the events are part of a play
    The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis De Sade by Peter Weiss (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Plays about plays with absurdist humor

English (65)  French (1)  All (66)
My sisters and I were kind of obsessed with this play (and movie) when we were younger. So when I saw this book at a garage sale for ten cents, I had to buy it. Then I spent most of the afternoon in a lawn chair in my yard, reading it.

It was, of course, every bit as clever in this later reading. But it was perhaps more biting in its commentary on how much control we have over our own lives -- and when do we know if we're living our own stories, or are just side stories in someone else's play?

But as my friend Heather points out, "at least there is the comfort of companionship." ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
A very entertaining and fairly funny (existentialist) play. Having a knowledge of Hamlet definitely will ADD to your understanding and enjoyment of the play, but is definitely not a requirement. I enjoy off-beat plays/books where they take side-characters from a previous work and re-work them to have their own 'true moments'. ( )
1 vote BenKline | Jul 13, 2017 |
From Amazon: "Acclaimed as a modern dramatic masterpiece, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead is the fabulously inventive tale of Hamlet as told from the worm’s-eve view of the bewildered Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, two minor characters in Shakespeare’s play. In Tom Stoppard’s best-known work, this Shakespearean Laurel and Hardy finally get a chance to take the lead role, but do so in a world where echoes of Waiting for Godot resound, where reality and illusion intermix, and where fate leads our two heroes to a tragic but inevitable end."

I just finished reading Hamlet and thought it would be fun to read this directly after -- and it was! There's not a lot to it, but it's fun, and I'm planning to watch the 1990 movie tonight starring Richard Dreyfus, Gary Oldman, and Tim Roth. Should be very entertaining! ( )
  TerriS | Mar 17, 2017 |
This is play of words and word play. Sometimes it is funny, but sometimes it just seemed too much.
Several themes including identity (mistaken or uniqueness), death, free-will. ( )
  kparr | Nov 8, 2016 |
After the book 2/5
After the movie 3/5
I think the visual elements definitely helped but you'd have to read the book before you watched the movie. ( )
  GeekyLibraryGirl | Jul 28, 2016 |
This is a most remarkable play. Very funny. Very brilliant. Very chilling.
added by keeper3014 | editThe New York Times

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead [is] verbally dazzling...the most exciting, witty intellectual treat imaginable.
added by keeper3014 | editThe New Yorker, Edith Oliver

Tom Stoppardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Popkin, HenryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two ELIZABETHANS passing the time in a place without any visible character.
Fear! The crack that might flood your brain with light!
I'm demonstrating the misuse of free speech. To prove that it exists.

Acclaimed as a modern dramatic masterpiece, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead is the fabulously inventive tale of Hamlet as told from the worm’s-eye view of the bewildered Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, two minor characters in Shakespeare’s play. In Tom Stoppard’s best-known work, this Shakespearean Laurel and Hardy finally get a chance to take the lead role, but do so in a world where echoes of Waiting for Godot resound, where reality and illusion intermix, and where fate leads our two heroes to a tragic but inevitable end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

Two minor characters from "Hamlet" offer a novel view of the melancholy Dane.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible