dismiss

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness: The Path…

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness: The Path to True Christian Joy (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Timothy Keller (Author)

What are the marks of a supernaturally changed heart? This is one of the questions the Apostle Paul addresses as he writes to the church in Corinth. He s not after some superficial outward tinkering, but instead a deep rooted, life altering change that takes place on the inside. In an age where pleasing people, puffing up your ego and building your rum ?are seen as the methods to make it , the Apostle Paul calls us to find true rest in blessed self forgetfulness. In this short and punchy book, best selling author Timothy Keller, shows that gospel humility means we can stop connecting every experience, every conversation with ourselves and can thus be free from self condemnation. A truly gospel humble person is not a self hating person or a self loving person, but a self forgetful person. This freedom can be yours...… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness: The Path to True Christian Joy
Authors:Timothy Keller (Author)
Info:10Publishing (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 48 pages
Collections:The Holy Spirit, Salvation / The Gospel, Christian Growth / Discipleship
Rating:*****

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness: The Path to True Christian Joy by Timothy Keller (2012)

This is a brief and handy (if not too terribly exhaustive) exegesis of a short section in 1 Corinthians. Keller suggests that Paul's words are so counter to our current understanding of ego that they are "off the map" for us, urging us into a transformed way of thinking about humility. I like his thoughts; I could probably stand to read this book at least monthly.

Unfortunately, the poor editing and loose, slightly repetitive writing style were distracting to me. It seemed almost like it had been transcribed from a lecture or sermon, then no one had gone back and punctuated it correctly before publication.

Still, I recommend it. It only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to read. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
Not sure what to make of this effort from the widely acclaimed Tim Keller. It is the first book I have read by the author due to being warned away from him by someone who shall remain nameless.

I agree with him in principle that self-forgetfulness is a worthy goal for a Christian and that we could all do with a greater focus on others rather than ourselves. However, suggesting that we should not care at all what people think of us could lead to a lack of accountability or the encouragement of an independent spirit that goes where it pleases having apparently received special revelation from God. Iron sharpens iron and we need our Christian brothers and sisters to keep us on track. I think the author is trying to make the point that we should primarily pay attention to what God wants rather than what others say, but surely God uses others to guide and direct us.....

I also wasn't impressed with his admiration of Madonna due to her work ethic....

This is a small booklet and it's difficult to make a proper assessment after such a short read. I'm reading another of Keller's books now so watch this space! ( )
  sparkleandchico | Nov 10, 2017 |
I read this book on the plane to Mexico. It is a nice treatment of the topic although he could have added more about the Old and New Man.
  NathanSchulte | Aug 1, 2017 |
Such a great little booklet. Dr. Keller shows what Paul taught about the issue of self-esteem and how to finally find peace with yourself. ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
Short, sermon based booklet on 1 Corinthians 3:21–4:7. Keller defines the nature of the human ego and how it is empty, painful, busy, and fragile. I would take only a small exception with this description of it being empty. It is compared to the riches of having it full of Christ, but we are always trying to put small, insignificant things there in hopes of filling it up. And what we put in it is comparisons to others.
He deals with the fallacy of low-self esteem. I wish this had been a little clearer. Low self-esteem is really pride that can't seem to locate an inferior object.
Next Keller describes what the transformed view of self is: not caring what others or even self thinks of self. This, then, is accomplished by realizing that in the grand court of opinion, God has already judged. Judgment is not based on performance. The verdict was rendered on the cross before we performed anything. And that is why we can think of ourselves less—and thus everyone else, in love, more. Like Jesus!
A short, helpful look at why we get caught up in the rat race, are often never satisfied for long, and feel buyers remorse about so many things in life. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible