A Season on the Brink by John Feinstein

A Season on the Brink (1986)

by John Feinstein

A Season on the Brink is based on the 1985-1986 men’s basketball season at Indiana University. Coach Bob Knight is known for his crazy style of coaching and John Feinstein gets to experience it first hand. Coach Knight takes his players on an emotional roller coaster throughout the season, but more times than not gets them to play at their peek performance come game time. One of the best parts of the book is hearing when Coach Knight displays good virtue. One example of this is when Knight meets a family that is deaf and gives them an assortment of Indiana memorabilia. Many fans of Knight do not know that is also a sweet-hearted man and this book does a great job of showing both sides of him. Feinstein does a great job of letting the reader go along for the roller coaster ride with the players. One of my favorite sport’s stories of all time, and I would recommend it to anyone sports fanatic.

Clinton D. ( )
  FolkeB | Jan 21, 2013 |
Despite being arguably the most famous sports book ever written (or at the very least, among the best selling), this is actually the second Feinstein book I've read to date. I enjoy a bunch of different sports but tennis is my favorite, so I read Hard Courts first. I found it entertaining, so I figured I'd see if Season lived up to its hype. And it does - it is justifiably famous and easily recommended. However, I will say this: as much as I enjoyed the book, I walked away from it feeling like anyone with a basic knowledge of English could've written it. With a subject as rich and as bipolar as Bob Knight, how could ANYONE screw this up? It's not that the writing is bad, mind you - quite the contrary - but all of the best parts of the book are simply Feinstein copying Knight's mood swings word for word. Still, this is an essential piece of sports literature history that you should check out if you have any interest in college hoops. ( )
  asktheages | Oct 2, 2012 |
"A Season on the Brink" was yet another book that I absolutely could not put down. The book follows Bobby Knight and the 1985-86 Indiana Hoosiers. John Feinstein, the author, had full access to the program, and as a result he caught some of the humorous tirades of one of the most colorful basketball coaches in NCAA history. The book does a great job of not only entertaining the reader, but it also does a great job of portraying life lessons, while also detailing the grueling life of a coach, and as a student-athlete as well. Being a coach myself, it is interesting how coach Knight treats his basketball players. While they are under his wing, he is tough on them, but once they graduate Indiana University, he treats them like family, finally showing them how much he truly loves them. There is a lot of coaching philosophy and psychology in this book. Overall, I loved this book, and once again, to use the cliche, I could not put it down. ( )
  chris.coelho | Sep 23, 2011 |
Stevie and Susan carol return in their 4th book. They now must investigate a huge story at the World Series. ( )
  AlLe0619 | Jan 31, 2011 |
While covering baseball's World Series between the Washington Nationals and the Boston Red Sox, teenage sports reporters Stevie and Susan Carol investigate a rookie pitcher whose evasive answers during an interview reveal more than a few contradictions in his life story.
  prkcs | Jan 8, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671688774, Paperback)

Why is A Season on the Brink the bestselling sports book of all time? The answer is easy: Bobby Knight. Audaciously brilliant, exasperatingly volatile, and never boring, the Indiana University basketball coach is Greek drama and comedy neatly wrapped in a red sweater. Like all high-strung people, Knight is particularly interesting when things don't go according to his playbook. John Feinstein had the good fortune to follow Knight and his Hoosiers through a difficult 1985-86 campaign; that Feinstein could watch that season attached to Knight's hip gives A Season on the Brink its sights and its sounds. That such closeness allowed entry into Knight's heart gives the book its fury. The combination is irresistible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

Recounts the 1985-1986 basketball season at Indiana University, describes the complex personality of coach Bob Knight, and examines the coaching methods which made him one of the best of all time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible