Off the Grid by P.J. Tracy

Off the Grid (edition 2012)

by P.J. Tracy

On a sailboat ten miles off the Florida coast, Grace MacBride, partner in Monkeewrench Software, thwarts an assassination attempt on retired FBI agent John Smith. A few hours later, in Minneapolis, a fifteen-year-old girl is discovered in a vacant lot, her throat slashed. Later that day, two young men are found in their home a few blocks away, killed execution-style. The next morning, the dead bodies of three more men turn up, savagely murdered in the same neighborhood. As Minneapolis homicide detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth struggle to link the three crimes, they learn that there have been similar murders in other cities around the United States. Piece by piece, evidence accumulates, pointing to a suspect that shocks them to the core, uncovering a motive that puts the entire Midwest on high alert and Monkeewrench in the direct line of fire. Before it's all over, Grace and her partners, Annie, Roadrunner, and Harley Davidson, find themselves in the middle of a shocking collision of violence on a remote northern Minnesota reservation, fighting for their lives.… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Off the Grid
Authors:P.J. Tracy
Info:Thorndike Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover, 436 pages
Tags:Read in 2012

Off the Grid by P. J. Tracy

Grace MacBride has been sailing off the Florida coast with retired FBI Special Agent John Smith and has finally been able to put aside her outfit of riding boots and all black clothing when an unexpected assassination attempt on John by two Saudi nationals ruins their idyll. It seems John has been tracking potential terrorists and alerting local police when he finds their locations.

Meanwhile in Minneapolis, Rolseth and Magozzi are dealing with the kidnapping and murder of a young Native girl and two houses where the inhabitants have been murdered. It looks like military Vet Joe Hardy killed them and died himself before his pancreatic cancer finally killed him.

Found in the two houses with murdered terrorists are calendars with October 31 circled and major weapons caches. They learn that these houses were on the lists John sent on to law enforcement and, when checking other addresses, find that many of them also have dead terrorists inside.

When terrorists threaten John Smith and the Monkeewrench gang, they find themselves heading north to the Elbow Lake Indian Reservation where Magozzi and Rolseth have gone to retrieve Joe Hardy's computer. And they are trailing terrorists behind them who want them all dead.

This was a totally engaging episode from the Monkeewrench series with topics ripped from the headlines: kidnapping Native girls for the sex trade and terrorists bringing their war to the United States. The pace was fast and furious. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 17, 2019 |
For most of this novel, I was wondering why it was apparently less well rated than the previous instalments - then I got to the last third of the book.

SPOILERS

There was a fair amount of glorification of gun culture and the narrative seemed to take it for granted that vigilante action was justifiable and to be applauded.

John Smith's character was so thinly defined here that it was hard to see why anyone would be that bothered about saving him; he seemed at times to be naive about his online activities and yet at other times we were reminded of his cyber tsar type job at the FBI and he was able to tap into the Monkeywrench phone line... Then there was his death-by-terrorist act at the end, which endangered Grace too.

The Monkeywrench crew, the most paranoid group on earth, failed to notice they were being followed by mysterious taxis and didn't think to check for a tracking device.

The author seemingly couldn't be bothered to explain how John's tip-offs made their way to Joe, Claude and Chief, nor how Joe got to hear about the kidnapped girls, nor how the terrorists worked out who John was (unless he went through one of his ridiculously naive phases online).

Nor could the author be bothered to describe the shoot-out at the end in any detail; suddenly it was all over. Then came the epilogue, which I suppose I should have been expecting. ( )
  pgchuis | Jul 1, 2018 |
The sixth in the Monkeewrench mystery series, Off the Grid combines humor with the mystery. I enjoyed the two other Monkeewrench books I'd read and was glad to get hold of this one. I loved this book, probably because I like the Monkeewrench characters and the Minneapolis detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth very much. I liked the allusion to values, from a conservative viewpoint I thought, but pretty much something most Americans can subscribe to and should. I'm glad to see these characters continuing to develop and move forward in their lives. A story of terrorism and efforts to avert it, the plot was suspenseful and the book a very good read. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Feb 2, 2018 |
Leo Magozzi and his partner Gino Rolseth are called to the site of a dead child. A child who had been abducted from the reservation the week before. The next day the find 2 men murdered in a house in gang territory where they find alive the other 4 children abducted from the Indian reservation. Later that afternoon they are called to the murder of 3 men in the same gang territory who have a houseful of armament. Think that is enough? Well it is just the beginning, Following Leo and Gino as they link the last 3 murders to a terrorist plot and connect with the Monkeywrench crew when they are targeted by the terrorists. It's a fast-paced read, I read it in one sitting I couldn't put it down. The twists and turns keep coming, but I never expected the ending. I recommend this book to mystery and suspense fans. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 17, 2016 |
This was another great Monkeewrench tale which was fast paced and kept me guessing all the way to the end. P.J. Tracy really make the characters come alive and you can easily relate to them. This is the last book that has been published in the series but another one is due out in June 2015. Looking forward to the release in order to catch up with the Monkeewrench crew again. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Sometimes the water was glassy and still, and the boat sat on it like a piece of paper on a flat table.
'Off the Grid' is published in the UK as 'Two Evils'

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

P. J. Tracy's book Off the Grid was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,256,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible