Off the Grid by P. J. Tracy

Off the Grid (edition 2012)

by P. J. Tracy

Title:Off the Grid
Authors:P. J. Tracy
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read in 2012, Mystery

Off the Grid by P. J. Tracy

Leo Magozzi and his partner Gino Rolseth are called to the site of a dead child. A child who had been abducted from the reservation the week before. The next day the find 2 men murdered in a house in gang territory where they find alive the other 4 children abducted from the Indian reservation. Later that afternoon they are called to the murder of 3 men in the same gang territory who have a houseful of armament. Think that is enough? Well it is just the beginning, Following Leo and Gino as they link the last 3 murders to a terrorist plot and connect with the Monkeywrench crew when they are targeted by the terrorists. It's a fast-paced read, I read it in one sitting I couldn't put it down. The twists and turns keep coming, but I never expected the ending. I recommend this book to mystery and suspense fans. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 17, 2016 |
This was another great Monkeewrench tale which was fast paced and kept me guessing all the way to the end. P.J. Tracy really make the characters come alive and you can easily relate to them. This is the last book that has been published in the series but another one is due out in June 2015. Looking forward to the release in order to catch up with the Monkeewrench crew again. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Grace MacBride, one of the members of the Monkeewrench computer team, is enjoying her experience on a boat in Key West. It's the first time in years she's lived without fear and without a gun by her side. However, all that changes when two men board the boat and attack retired FBI agent John Smith. Grace takes care of the assassins, but the attacks lead her to question Smith as to why he was a target.

Meanwhile, back in Minneapolis, Homicide detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth find themselves at a crime scene where the body of a young girl lies, her throat slashed. Soon, more bodies, and illegal weapons, are piling up. The next morning, three more men are found dead on the lawn in the same neighborhood. Magozzi and Rolseth find calendars at both houses with the date October 31 circled. They are shocked to learn who the killer is, but they're even more surprised to learn there have been similar killings in LA and other cities. When Grace, Monkeewrench and the Minneapolis police finally put the pieces together, they have a frightening scenario to hand to the FBI.

Monkeewrench is one of my favorite mystery series. It is funny, has engaging characters that I care about and which actually change over the course of the books, and the mysteries are not overly gruesome but are interesting. I'm sorry to say I've caught up on all six of the books and hope the Tracy's are working on a new one. I listened to the audio version narrated by r Buck Schirner, who does a good job.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Monkeewrench is one of my favorite lite murder mystery series. It is funny, has engaging characters that I care about and which actually change over the course of the books, and the mysteries are not overly gruesome but are interesting. The series is written by a mother daughter team and typically most books are situated in Minnesota or northern Wisconsin. Being from the midwest, I love the setting. I can relate to it. Off the Grid is a book that I read, even though I had listened to the audio versions for the first five in this book. And I wish I had waited to listen to the audio book of Off the Grid. I think it is difficult to switch mid-series to print if it is started in audio. Having written that, I will say that I enjoyed the first 1/2 of Off the Grid immensely. I think I even enjoyed it more than the earlier books in this series that I listened to.

The book starts off with a literal bang. Book #5 ended with a complete game changer. Grace decides to make some improvements in her life and she leaves. I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read #5, so I will just say -- she leaves at the end of #5 and #6 starts off with Grace's new life. But like the entire Monkeewrench series, Grace can't escape from murder and mayhem and so she is immediately fighting for her life and plotting to save the world. Off the Grid is fast paced and changes back and forth between the various characters that make up the series. There is the typical humorous exchanges with Leo and Magozzi. The impressive wardrobe changes of Annie and the funny comments and antics of Harley.

In Off the Grid, the entire gang is on the run (eventually). I enjoyed the change of location but ..... I didn't buy into the mystery. I am not going to spoil the what and the who of the story, but I will say I just don't believe in the threat and the scariness to the level it happens in Off the Grid. And yes, I know this is fiction but it was distracting to me. I am guessing it is hard to come up with complicated murder story lines that continue to affect the same characters and need to be solved by computer hackers. These authors have carried this storyline off successfully for multiple books. and they continue to be enjoyable.

So in the end Off the Grid was fun and enjoyable. A definite 3 star book. Nothing to get excited about, but for fans of the series it shouldn't be missed.

To read more reviews like this check out: www.badassbookreviews.com ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
Finished, Minnesota, mystery, murder ( )
  punxsygal | Jun 26, 2013 |
Sometimes the water was glassy and still, and the boat sat on it like a piece of paper on a flat table.
'Off the Grid' is published in the UK as 'Two Evils'

On a sailboat ten miles off the Florida coast, Grace MacBride, partner in Monkeewrench Software, thwarts an assassination attempt on retired FBI agent John Smith. A few hours later, in Minneapolis, a fifteen-year-old girl is discovered in a vacant lot, her throat slashed. Later that day, two young men are found in their home a few blocks away, killed execution-style. The next morning, the dead bodies of three more men turn up, savagely murdered in the same neighborhood. As Minneapolis homicide detectives Leo Magozzi and Gino Rolseth struggle to link the three crimes, they learn that there have been similar murders in other cities around the United States. Piece by piece, evidence accumulates, pointing to a suspect that shocks them to the core, uncovering a motive that puts the entire Midwest on high alert and Monkeewrench in the direct line of fire. Before it's all over, Grace and her partners, Annie, Roadrunner, and Harley Davidson, find themselves in the middle of a shocking collision of violence on a remote northern Minnesota reservation, fighting for their lives.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Off the Grid by P. J. Tracy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,707,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible