Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson

Calculus Made Easy (original 1910; edition 1998)

by Silvanus P. Thompson, Martin Gardner

Member:shawndriscoll
Title:Calculus Made Easy
Authors:Silvanus P. Thompson
Other authors:Martin Gardner
Info:St. Martin's Press (1998), Edition: Revised, Updated, Expanded, Hardcover, 336 pages

Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson (1910)

Didn't get very far with this ( Understood the prolouge and that was about it ) Not ready for calculus easy or not I guess ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
A good conceptual help to the study of calculus with practice problems. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'm a software developer and have had my interests in Mathematics for quite some time now. But my knowledge about Calculus was very limited. Hence I picked up this book.

The book has real simple language and of course since this a book about an advanced concept, the reader is expected to have some background in Mathematics.

The author provides some examples practicing which gets the concepts ingrained in the readers' mind. I'll be honest, I didn't solve most of the problems (that was not my intention of reading the book either).

The book goes into some depth and talks about chain rule, product rule and the quotient rule in Differential Calculus.

It would've made it the book better if it had a chapter on Limits as well. ( )
  nmarun | Oct 15, 2014 |
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Although Thompson's 1910 text has been revised and modernized, it remains at bottom a utilitarian approach to learning to calculate the solutions to calculus problems. So, while it's not suitable as a text, it may be useful to those having trouble understanding the theory of the calculus but needing it as a tool. ( )
  szarka | Nov 20, 2005 |

Silvanus P. Thompsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, Martinmain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Calculus Made Easy has long been the most popular calculus primer, and this major revision of the classic math text makes the subject at hand still more comprehensible to readers of all levels. With a new introduction, three new chapters, modernized language and methods throughout, and an appendix of challenging and enjoyable practice problems, Calculus Made Easy has been thoroughly updated for the modern reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

Updates the classic calculus primer.

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,093,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible