Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to…

Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike (edition 2012)

by Grant Petersen

Member:evforija
Title:Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
Authors:Grant Petersen
Info:
Tags:velo, all-time favorites, enviro

Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike by Grant Petersen

Bikenomics: How Bicycling Can Save the Economy (Bicycle) by Elly Blue (Booktacular)
    Booktacular: Blue's book covers the topic of why you can and should make bicycling a much bigger part of your daily life. Petersen's book explains in clear and often entertaining terms how to go about doing that. Both are meant to apply to the majority of bicycling adults and both do a fantastic job in that regard!… (more)

I don't understand who this book is for. The book is less a guide to cycling as a ranting manifesto on why the cycle racing industry and sport has harmed cycling. Especially cycling as a daily activity with few hurdles besides a reliable bike. I've seen many internet comment wars between the so-called Lycra brigade and everyone else, but I'm not on either side. I prefer live and let live, and I wish both sides took that approach too. I didn't learn a whole lot from this book, a few points about wooden bikes (hadn't heard this was a thing) and learning to turn with the body rather then the handlebars - which I understand the theory but not the application. Petersen describes himself and the people who he likes as unracers, people who ride for enjoyment rather then putting in long group rides in lycra trying to train for a big race. For a book that bemoans racers, I read far too much about racing and group rides; how training doesn't make you fit; how bikes (and tyres) are over designed and too expensive and don't work in real world conditions yet I wanted a guide for the average bicycle rider, a long way from the world of competitive road cycling. If I was a member of the lycra brigrade I would find this book even more divisive and off-putting. ( )
1 vote wifilibrarian | Feb 4, 2014 |
I admit I am biased in favor of Peterson's point of view, which is that riding your bike should be fun. This short book is an outline of everything you need to know about buying, riding and maintaining a bicycle, whether you ride it for fun, to commute or, like me, to run errands. It's fun to read, practical and witty. Read the book, buy a bike! ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Just a short note: Grant Petersen's book JUST RIDE is easy to read and exudes an attitude of love for cycling and cyclists of all kinds. He even makes a point of praising the masses of UNRACERS - those riders who ride for recreation or commute to work (maybe every day). No, he is not against bicycle racing.

Along the way he advocates for all kinds of little habits that can be employed by these UNRACERS. Specifically, he says we SHOULD take electrolytes to balance PH but we should avoid sports drinks because these products are weighed down by sugar; he states a rider should use a harder saddle in most cases because the sitting bones on humans do not need extra gel or squishy foam that will only spread out and compress the derriere of riders more than it adds comfort; does not default to calling gloves necessary for most riding (though they do have a place); and says cyclists who really want to get in shape should cross-fit and study other exercises in tandem with their regular miles.

Grant Petersen is the founder of Rivendell Bicycle Works, a frame builder and customization company based in California. In JUST RIDE, Petersen tells it like he thinks it is. And he does so with love for riding. Clearly, Petersen wants each rider to enjoy their time pedaling. ( )
  jltaglich | Feb 28, 2013 |
Good solid advice on how to become a good, solid cyclist.
1 vote evforija | Dec 14, 2012 |
A realistic look at riding your bike, for us "Unracers." Petersen reminds us that we don't need Lycra, clipless pedals, carbon bikes and long club rides -- just get out and ride. It's a refreshing perspective for those of us who might feel intimidated when we get passed by a line of young guys on skinny-tire bikes. I love the idea -- Just Ride! No ride is too short. ( )
  TerriBooks | Oct 26, 2012 |

Grant Petersenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Takahashi, RetsuIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In the same way that Michael Pollan’s slim bestseller Food Rules brought a gust of common sense to the everyday activity of eating, Just Ride is a revelation. Forget the ultralight, uncomfortable bikes, flashy jerseys, clunky shoes that clip onto tiny pedals, the grinding out of endless miles. Instead, ride like you did when you were a kid—just get on your bike and discover the pure joy of riding it.

A reformed racer who’s commuted by bike every day since 1980, whose writings and opinions appear in major bicycling and outdoor magazines, and whose company, Rivendell Bicycle Works, makes bikes for riders ready to opt out of a culture overrun by racing, Grant Petersen shares a lifetime of unexpected facts, controversial opinions, expert techniques, and his own maverick philosophy. In 87 short, two-to-three page chapters, it covers:

• Riding: Count Days, Not Miles; Corner Like Jackie Robinson; Steer with Your Hips, Shift with Your Legs

• Suiting Up: The Shoes Ruse; Ponchos—the Ultimate Unracer’s Garment

• Safety: #1 Rule—Be Seen; Helmets Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up to Be

• Health and Fitness: Why Riding Is Lousy All-Around Exercise; Saddles Don’t Cause Impotence; Drink When You’re Thirsty—Not Before

Also includes chapters on Accessories, Upkeep, and Technicalities as well as a final chapter titled “Velosophy” that includes the essential, memorable thought: Your Bike Is a Toy—Have Fun with It.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:42 -0400)

Questions and debunks over eighty myths to highlight bicycling's inherently enjoyable nature, addressing everything from clothing and accessories to health, fitness, and safety.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible