The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

by Ann Brashares

Recently added byprivate library, tina_thebookworm, tkrupinski, Sara.Newhouse, lrquinn, Joana_v_v, jdl818, kmair08

English (220)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (223)
Lena, Tibby, Bridget, and Carmen have been best friends literally from birth when they were all born about the same time. This particular summer finds the girls parting ways for the first time. In order to maintain their connection over the summer, they decide to pass around a pair of old jeans that seem to have a magical ability to look good on all of their figures. Lena visits her grandparents in Greece, Tibby stays in town to work at a drugstore, Bridget goes to soccer camp in Mexico and Carmen is off to spend the summer in South Carolina with her father. These girls can sometimes be too precocious but their strong ties to each other are reassuring and loving.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. When I read the blurb I thought it would be a light, chick lit read, but I was wrong. The four girls in this book deal with some major issues including relationships, terminal illness, family break-ups, heart ache, fears and much more. Each girl faces her own problems but their friendship remains strong. This coming of age story will appeal to teenage girls as I'm sure they will be able to relate to at least one of the main characters who all have different strengths and weaknesses, and appreciate the importance of true friends. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I loved the theme of the unbreakable friendship between the four girls. I related to the characters’ very close bond between each other because I have a group of friends that I have been very close to since we were really young. The writing was very engaging and well organized. I found the book hard to put down because I really enjoyed following each character’s life and what was happening. Even though it is a bit far-fetching that the same pair of pants fit each one of the girls perfectly, I thought it was an intriguing concept. Each girl’s body shape and size are very different, but some how the pants fit all of them. ( )
  LBundi1 | Dec 7, 2015 |
For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible