The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

by Ann Brashares

7,245208492 (3.82)123

English (204)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (207)
This book was a very cute read! It is the perfect summer book. The plot was very good, and I enjoyed the characters. My emotions changed through out the book. Part of the book made me happy, and another part made me want to cry . It hurts to lose someone you love. Overall, it was a cute book, and I will be reading the rest of the series. 4 stars! The reason why I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5 is because, the book would have been better if it was in first person for each character. It was such a good book, and I recommend it. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This book is one of those fun summer reads. It's fairly light, but brave enough to tackle some pretty heavy issues at the same time. It also wins for friendship. I consider the first one the best of the series, but on a whole most follow a similar pattern. I never really cared for Bridget, but I liked the other characters well enough. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I chose VOYA code 3Q because it was highly readable and without serious defects, but still didn't have the depth and complexity I wanted. I chose 4P for popularity because the teen response to this book was overwhelmingly positive, the book was made into a movie, and it also generated a couple of sequels. I did not chose 5P because it centers around girls, girl friendships, and stereotypically girly issues. So, I don't think this novel has tremendous popularity among boys.

I'd never read this book before, so I thought it would be a good idea to read it and see what the fuss was about. I enjoyed this as a light and easy read, but as I said, there wasn't a lot of depth in it, nor complexity in the characters, so it wasn't a totally satisfying feeling when I got to the end and closed the book. I like to feel like I've just finished a wonderful, huge Thanksgiving meal when I finish devouring a book. With The Sisterhood, I felt more like I'd had a Snickers bar -- some substance there, but a lot of sweet all around. Perhaps teens like things a little simpler and rosier.

The Kirkus review was positive, calling the book a "feel-good novel with substance," and pointing out that "Brashares renders each girl individual and lovable in her own right, emphasizing growing up without growing apart." I agree with this, but I thought there was more room for critique of the novel. Developmentally, the book deals with gaining independence, growing up, and gaining confidence in adult situations. It also brings to mind the importance of friendships with peers in adolescence. However, it spills over into the morality tale arena sometimes, and almost hits the reader over the head with the morals of the story lines. ( )
  HollyHerndon | Jun 7, 2014 |
Well I finally took the plunge into reading this book and I was pleasantly surprised. I quite enjoyed the story of Carmen, Lena, Bridget and Tibby and their first summer apart.

Carmen bought a pair of pants at a thrift shop and never wore them. She was going to get rid of them the first summer they were all going away except for Tibby. While everyone is at Carmen's house the pants are spotted and the girls all try them on. Each girl is different in height and size but the pants fit each one. They are magical.

Carmen is going to visit her father in South Carolina, Lena is traveling to Greece to visit her grandparents with her sister Effie, Bridget is going to Soccer Camp in Baja California. Tibby will be staying home and working at her new job at Wallman's.

The adventures the girls and the pants go on is just so interesting. Carmen gets to her father's and learns that her father is getting married and has a new family. Lena's Grandmother wants to fix her up with a local boy named Kostos. And Bridget is the one that is just full of energy and sees a boy at the soccer camp very attractive. Tibby is making a documentary and meets a girl name Bailey.

The different adventures each one goes through both with the pants and without is entertaining. I found each of the girls to be very different and could be annoying at times. They were well written as teenagers. ( )
  crazy4reading | May 15, 2014 |
For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:14 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,632,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible