Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Book 1)…

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Book 1) (edition 2003)

by Ann Brashares (Author)

Member:aj8114
Title:Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Book 1)
Authors:Ann Brashares (Author)
Info:Ember (2003), 336 pages

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

English (231)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (234)
I'm going to come right out and admit that I didn't believe I was going to enjoy this book. This isn't the typical sort of thing I read, it was hyped all to hell with the movie, and it just.. didn't interest me. However, the book was recommended to me and I try to read everything that gets recommended. As my rating shows, I did enjoy it. I didn't think it was groundbreaking or amazing, but I did like it overall.

I felt that the book was stretched a bit thin, the author trying too hard to get every girl's experience condensed into under 300 pages. What was lost in that was that none of the girl's experiences was really poignant enough to become striking. I appreciate what she was trying to do, but each girl's story could have been a book in its own right.

I enjoyed the way that every chapter was offset by quotations. A lot of the quotes were cute, and several of them decently thought provoking.

Overall, this was a very easy summer read. I'd recommend it to a younger audience, which is what it was intended for anyway. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
When I was younger, I re-watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants film over and over again with my sister like it was a religion. You'd think we would have gotten sick of it eventually, but we somehow never did. In fact, we still haven't. We may not watch it as often as we used to, but the movie still remains cherished in our hearts.

Therefore, this story was nothing new for me. Instead, it was a familiar friend. There were differences between the book and the movie (whether in be in characterization or certain plot points) but there was nothing that bugged me particularly. I think the biggest difference between the two was due to being able to flatly read character's thoughts and emotions. While the movie only allows viewers to witness these things by the actor's interpretation and actions, the book simply states it. Because if this, the characters seem a bit conceited as their emotions are so blatantly revealed. They weren't "over-the-edge, chuck-this-book-at a-wall" conceited, but still a bit annoying if you're a reader who focuses on those kinds of aspects. The main character who was affected by this change was Lena. She's quite different from how I remember her in the film, and so is her storyline with Kostos. However, it was still good!

I noticed that a lot of the reviews focused on the fact that the premise was far-fetched. While I don't expect to be getting any magical pants soon, I wouldn't say the idea is a bad one (I might be biased though). By focusing solely on how "realistic" the idea is, readers forget what the pants symbolie. The pants represent the bond between these friends. No matter where they go, or what they do, if they have the pants the. they have a piece of one another. It's not so much the pants that are important as the promise they hold: when the four friends return from the summer, they'll still have one another. Therefore, it's not necessarily the pants that are magical but the friendship itself (which in turn makes the pants magical). So, while I understand this argument, I don't think it's a solid one to make against the novel. The focus isn't even really on the pants, but rather the sisterhood. I think that's the point, as the ending lines of the final chapter before the epilogue will tell.

Overall, a lovely and wonderful story that was great to revisit. I can't wait to read the rest of the series! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
These books were always a huge part of my childhood, just as much as harry potter. I absolutely adore all of them. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
One of my favorite Young Adult books, great for book clubs or for a book/movie pairing (with the original 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' film).
  JCLHeatherM | Jan 27, 2018 |
I don't know why I'm reading this, except that I'm a sucker for sisterhood type stories. The movies Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and Now and Then appealed to me; I suppose I put this book in the same category. However, maybe the movie would be better over the book... stay tuned.

DONE: The book was half over before the "pants" started to play a role, and even then, it was minor. Really, this book is four stories about four (or five, if you count Bailey) girls and their summers. The girls just happen to be friends and they happen to be in different places and they happen to mail around a pair of jeans. Otherwise, romance finds them too easily; they do, say, and think things beyond their maturity (except when they are too childish); and everything works out in the end.
Bleh.
The most disappointing part is that no one recognizes Bridgit is bipolar. Poor girl. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
Good post. It is really help to us. Its give us lots of interest and pleasure. Its opportunity are so

For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,255,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible