The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (edition 2001)

by Ann Brashares

Member:cchristians
Title:The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, 2001.
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

English (226)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (229)
I meant to read this book before the movie came out (years ago...I think close to a decade, now?) and...didn't. I have to say. I'm glad I saw the movie first. It's one of the few movies that I enjoyed more than the book. Lena's story is quite different - much less exposition that made sense. The other three's stories remained, for the most part, faithful. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is such a classic, and loved by so many people.

... and I just didn't like it. I really didn't.

I found a lot of the characters irritating. I think I read it at an age where I was just not interested in young adult anymore, even if I wasn't ready to read 'adult' books yet. I found that it rushed a lot of the plot and left parts blank - although I understand it's a series, so it makes sense that all of the plot points aren't resolved.

But so many things just bothered me about this book. Why aren't they allowed to wash the jeans? I'm sorry but I got to that part in the story and just totally lost interest. I should've put it down but I was hoping it would pick up and I would be interested.

I would still recommend it to anyone who was interested in this sort of genre, because I know a lot of people love it and read it over and over.

Sorry if I disappoint anyone, this book was just not the book for me at all! ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I saw the movie first and the. Read the book. It's a nice young adult book. The pants are magical as they give the girls confidence and insights that they already possessed. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Like a whole lot of other people, I assume, I've already watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies, and also own them, in fact. This is partly because I'm a fan of Alexis Bledel because of Gilmore Girls (Who else is pumped for the reboot?!?!), and they're also obviously really popular. Being a massive book lover, I'm kind of surprised it took me this long to read the series.
The first book is wonderful. It's lighthearted and fun and at the same time really emotional and triumphant in a great way. I find that part a little hard to put into words, but since it bounces back to different, contrasting stories I guess that would make sense. It's just so well done.
The girls and their experiences are diverse, and all great. It was cool getting to know all four of them, but there were times when I was like, wait, get back to her! I want to keep reading about that! I love how much goes down in one summer, and the bond between the girls is enviable. I'm excited to keep reading the other books and compare them to the movies. I feel like I'll have a greater appreciation of both the books and the movies once I've done that.
The only complaint I have is that I want more. Lucky for me, in addition to owning both movies, I also own the other three books (and have already started in on the second of the series), so I'm in for quite a fix. ;) ( )
  jewelsk96 | Jun 28, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

Some of my friends recommended this book to me, but I wasn't blown away by the premise of four girls sharing a pair of jeans.

The book was OK, but not really something I like to read. The story was a bit simple. It's a nice read between two other books, but nothing special ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Good post. It is really help to us. Its give us lots of interest and pleasure. Its opportunity are so

For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible