The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (edition 2001)

by Ann Brashares

Member:cchristians
Title:The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, 2001.
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

English (223)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (226)
READ IN DUTCH

Some of my friends recommended this book to me, but I wasn't blown away by the premise of four girls sharing a pair of jeans.

The book was OK, but not really something I like to read. The story was a bit simple. It's a nice read between two other books, but nothing special ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
A really good read. This YA book was touching, funny, and true to life. The characters slowly grow (and grow up) through the obstacles they encounter. Their "trial by error" methods reminded me so much of my own teenaged years. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
From Carmen's point of view.

The two movies passed on this series are among my favorite movies to watch. Though I was surprised by a lot of differences between the books and the movies, the books are really warm and enjoyable and so fun to read.

I finished the book late at night yesterday. And I really loved it and enjoyed it. A lot of parts made me cry and a lot of other parts made me laugh out load. It is a very warm story. Though there are so many different things in the movies and books, I still liked both versions. even the new part of Lena's story (which is my favorite) is still good. I am really looking forward to read more of the series. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
From Carmen's point of view.

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
great!! I think I liked this better than the movie, but both were good. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,858,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible