The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (edition 2001)

by Ann Brashares

Member:cchristians
Title:The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, 2001.
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

English (206)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (209)
Tibby, Lena, Bridget, and Carmen are best friends and they've been together since before the were born, really. But this is the first summer they're all going somewhere different. Apart. But luckily they found some magical pants at the local thrift store and they swear to send the traveling pants to each girl with expectations of a magical summer.

It was a decent book, very teenage girl-growing-pains slice of life sort of book.

I am glad that it wasn't all about romance in this book, but actually tackled other issues besides boys and fluff and other touchy-feeley things.

Even though there were four characters, I think Brashares managed to juggle their stories pretty well. It was like a series of vignettes strung together to create an overarching story that all converged and overlapped.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too old now, whereas if I were 15 all over again, I'd be empathizing with all of their stories and crying and laughing with them. But I read it and I'm amused and a little sad, but it doesn't impact me that much.

Also, the traveling pants theme doesn't really work for me. It isn't exactly magically, they don't really mean much in the story except for linking the story together.

I've found that characters are a little too blunt as well. Probably to progress the story as quickly as possible. But Bailey is a little too precocious. So is Effie. And Paul. All the side characters speak the obvious truth to the main characters too much. They say it until the girls finally accepts it and does something about it (usually around the time the pants comes around). It's a little too straight-forward and it makes me feel like it's a little too cliche and more boring.

Three stars. And if the story weren't about more than romance, I would have given it two. But since I think the story did very well for a YA chick flick, three stars. No more than that because I couldn't get into the feel of the book.
Recommended for people who like good sisterhood camaraderie and something more than just romance. Be warned that the audience is definitely around 12-17 years old. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This book was a very cute read! It is the perfect summer book. The plot was very good, and I enjoyed the characters. My emotions changed through out the book. Part of the book made me happy, and another part made me want to cry . It hurts to lose someone you love. Overall, it was a cute book, and I will be reading the rest of the series. 4 stars! The reason why I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5 is because, the book would have been better if it was in first person for each character. It was such a good book, and I recommend it. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This book is one of those fun summer reads. It's fairly light, but brave enough to tackle some pretty heavy issues at the same time. It also wins for friendship. I consider the first one the best of the series, but on a whole most follow a similar pattern. I never really cared for Bridget, but I liked the other characters well enough. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:14 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible