The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (edition 2001)

by Ann Brashares

7,169None495 (3.83)115
Member:cchristians
Title:The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, 2001.
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

chick lit (126) coming of age (124) death (35) family (49) fiction (524) friends (54) friendship (389) girls (92) Greece (38) jeans (43) love (36) made into movie (38) movie (49) novel (35) own (56) pants (54) read (108) realistic fiction (70) relationships (38) romance (96) series (142) sisterhood (30) Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (34) summer (94) teen (151) to-read (54) travel (54) YA (281) young adult (429) young adult fiction (83)

English (199)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (202)
Alice
  Altellybrary | Apr 6, 2014 |
A summer of friends who find that they can still be friends while apart. Also that finding new friends and things to love is ok, it doesnt mean you have to stop loving your current best friends ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 27, 2014 |
This was a reread for me. I first read it when I was about fourteen or so, and recently I found out that there was a fifth book in the series set with them as adults, so I decided to reread the entire series.
This book was as good as I remembered it being. I liked it, it wasn't amazing and won't make it onto my top ten of the year, but it's still a really good book, and an enjoyable series.

Full review on my website www.the-book-tower.blogspot.co.uk ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Better end than beginning. Pants not magical as described. Don't need to read any more. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I don't think that I was expecting this book to be quite as intense as it turned out to be. Intense in a good way, mind you, but unexpected. Lena was my favorite of the girls, though in some ways Carmen's story caught my attention more. I didn't particularly like Tibby's story, but I thought she did a fantastic job on Bee. (I do, however, wish she'd been a little bit less vague about what happened between Bee and Eric. Not graphic details or anything, but I was never quite clear if they just made out or actually had sex. On the other hand, if she's not setting Bee up to be manic depressive, I'll be incredibly shocked. Seriously.) Overall it was an awesome book, and now I need to get my hands on the other three. :) ( )
  cybermathwitch | Feb 6, 2014 |
For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:14 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,479,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible