The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (edition 2001)

by Ann Brashares

Member:cchristians
Title:The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, 2001.
Collections:South Austin Bookies Book Club

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Recently added byRena37, mbumbarger, wdshep2, phoibee, nikki1234, gryphonous, private library, TheBelle

English (226)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All (229)
As a teenager, I loved reading this book. It touched on many topics that I was experiencing during the time I read this book. The overall idea of this novel is sisterhood, friendship, and essentially nobody is perfect. The symbolism lies in the pants as the pair of jeans fits all the girls perfectly.
The author does a great job shifting from character to character so that the reader can understand each character’s personality and point of view. For example, throughout a chapter one character will telling about their story and then the next chapter it will be a different character. This honestly is a great way to engage readers so that they must read on to find out what happens. The words flow effortlessly throughout the book so that it is clear who the reader is reading about. I like how the author created different struggles that each character is dealing with. With the help from each other and the pants, they overcome these obstacles eventually throughout the book. The book is also relatable to young girls as many have dealt with the same situations. For example, a divorce or “new” family, a friend dying, being caught between love and family, or embracing your sexuality. ( )
  aphelp6 | Feb 8, 2017 |
I became interested in this book after seeing the movie, and, though the issues the girls face are slightly different, I think the book and the movie tell equally interesting stories. These stories are essentially about love, the loss thereof, and coming to terms with the loss. Carmen is openly desperate for her father's affections, but she doesn't know how to make it clear to him that she needs him and he's hurt her by not being there. Bridget is struggling with the unresolved issues about her mother's suicide years before. Tibby is struggling with both the cancer of and death of the friend she makes. Lena is struggling with her own fears of getting emotionally attached (her story is the most different from the movie). The girls use the pants to face their own challenges- even the hardships they face in them help the girls learn how to work through their losses. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jan 5, 2017 |
I meant to read this book before the movie came out (years ago...I think close to a decade, now?) and...didn't. I have to say. I'm glad I saw the movie first. It's one of the few movies that I enjoyed more than the book. Lena's story is quite different - much less exposition that made sense. The other three's stories remained, for the most part, faithful. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is such a classic, and loved by so many people.

... and I just didn't like it. I really didn't.

I found a lot of the characters irritating. I think I read it at an age where I was just not interested in young adult anymore, even if I wasn't ready to read 'adult' books yet. I found that it rushed a lot of the plot and left parts blank - although I understand it's a series, so it makes sense that all of the plot points aren't resolved.

But so many things just bothered me about this book. Why aren't they allowed to wash the jeans? I'm sorry but I got to that part in the story and just totally lost interest. I should've put it down but I was hoping it would pick up and I would be interested.

I would still recommend it to anyone who was interested in this sort of genre, because I know a lot of people love it and read it over and over.

Sorry if I disappoint anyone, this book was just not the book for me at all! ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I saw the movie first and the. Read the book. It's a nice young adult book. The pants are magical as they give the girls confidence and insights that they already possessed. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Good post. It is really help to us. Its give us lots of interest and pleasure. Its opportunity are so

For Jodi Anderson , the real thing
Once upon a time there was a pair of pants.
"They were the subtle things, and understanding them, even knowing when you missed them, was what separated other friends from real friends, like we were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494791, Mass Market Paperback)

They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four girls took turns trying them on--four girls, that is, who are close friends, about to be parted for the summer, with very different sizes and builds, not to mention backgrounds and personalities. Yet the pants settle on each girl's hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. "These are magical Pants!" they realize, and so they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Beautiful, distant Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; strong, athletic Bridget is off to soccer camp in Baja, California; hot-tempered Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby the rebel will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman's.

Over the summer the Pants come to represent the support of the sisterhood, but they also lead each girl into bruising and ultimately healing confrontations with love and courage, dying and forgiveness. Lena finds her identity in Greece and the courage not to reject love; Bridget gets in over her head with an older camp coach; Carmen finds her father ensconced with a new fiancée and family; and Tibby unwillingly takes on a filmmaking apprentice who is dying of leukemia. Each girl's story is distinct and engrossing, told in a brightly contemporary style. Like the Pants, the reader bounces back and forth among the four unfolding adventures, and the melange is spiced with letters and witty quotes. Ann Brashares has here created four captivating characters and seamlessly interwoven their stories for a young adult novel that is fresh and absorbing. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

During their first summer apart, four teenage girls, best friends since earliest childhood, stay in touch through a shared pair of secondhand jeans that magically adapts to each of their figures and affects their attitudes to their different summer experiences.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,831,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible