The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

Title:The Secret Keeper
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Mantle (2012), Hardcover, 600 pages
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, world war II, secrets, family

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (126)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (131)
I libri di Kate Morton sono speciali. Uno meglio dell'altro. Una delle mie autrici preferite ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
All I can say about this book is READ IT. Immediately. It's a long book, and may seem daunting, but every sentence carries its weight in getting to the resolution of the story. Along the way, there are twists and turns that will keep you guessing, but never make you feel like the author is misleading you or pulling punches. The ending was so thoroughly satisfying that I wanted to start back from the beginning and read it again. It was recommended to me by word of mouth, and now I'm incredibly eager to read more of Morton's work. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This was a long one, but captivating every moment of it. I listened to this because I'm very fond of Caroline Lee as a reader. I did go back and read on my Kindle to remind myself of things that had happened earlier in the narrative. I enjoyed the characters and was relieved by the ending. I appreciated the twists. Some things I figured out early on and others were surprising, but inevitable. This book really had me thinking and sharing with friends. I highly recommend. My Kindle edition was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  njcur | Oct 27, 2015 |
Kate Morton has done it again. Even though life kept me away from the book for weeks at a time, the second I would pick it up again, I would be totally engrossed -- from the first chapter to the very last page. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
Another fantastic story. There are many characters and sub-plots. As you read it, some parts of the story seem to be superfluous. They aren't. Every scene contributes to the final outcome, which will blow you away. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible