The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

Member:birdsam0610
Title:The Secret Keeper
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Mantle (2012), Hardcover, 600 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, world war II, secrets, family

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Recently added byWictoria, hildevon, CookieBeyy, private library, justalotofreading, dvs1990, Wilwarin, LeaElam, MEGibb
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (158)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (165)
Kate Morton is a master at weaving past and present, at drawing you in to a narrative, at building atmospheric haze you simply feel immersed in. Her novels never ever disappoint, I am an unabashed fan-girl. Rarely does a book leave me so gob-smacked, hit me from left field, and leave me in a literary hangover for days, shaking my head. This is one I highly recommend people to stick with. Depending on your tolerance for unlikable characters you are going to feel a disconnect. The payoff is there in spades. Well done! ( )
  CMDH5 | May 6, 2017 |
3.75 stars

In 1961, Laurel is 16-years old and (from a distance) witnesses her mother put a knife into a stranger and kill him. By 2011, Laurel has become an actress and comes home to be with her mother and family (four sisters and a brother), as her mother is dying. She intends to find out who the man was and the circumstances behind her mother’s actions.

I'd love to give it 4 stars for the great build-up and ending, but it started really slow for me and didn't pick up until about 1/3 of the way in. Once it picked up, though, it just kept building and building to reveal the multitude of secrets (and twists!) behind Laurel’s mother’s past. The book went back and forth in time between Laurel trying to find out what happened and the war, to what was happening. I’m pretty sure, on looking back at this one, I will remember it more as a 4 star book, anyway. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 2, 2017 |
I just started and I'm already bored with this one.

Okay I wrote that first snarky sentence when I was only 30 pages into the story, and I was having such a hard time getting hooked. But I kept at it and slowly but surely I began to enjoy this twisty tale.

Unlike some books that you invest in wholeheartedly and then feel the ending is like a kick in the guts when it doesn't live up to your expectations, this book was the complete opposite. The long winding, sometimes dull set up, made the punch line at the end of this book well worth every word read beforehand, and all thoughts of bestowing a low rating went right out the window when I turned that last page.

Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
My first Morton’s book.

She's a tremendous storyteller.

Modern Daphne du Maurier? Just a thought...

It's beautiful and sad at the same time… it's about second chances, love and mystery.

I'm a sucker for books that jump between different time periods and characters. I love to see how history affects our present lives. In a way it reminded me of a Peter Robinson Book: In a Dry Season", also a superior form of this kind of narrative structure.

It's not often that I'm fooled when it comes to a good mystery. I can usually figure part of it out, but Morton tricked me and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

By the end of the book, I couldn't believe the outcome and I was so impressed by Morton's skills.

What Morton does really well is creating complex characters and making the reader get emotionally attached. She teases us with secrets and keeps us reading with her crafty intrigue.

" ( )
1 vote antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
[The Secret Keeper] by Kate Morton
****1/2

I FINALLY finished this! Nearing her death, Dorothy Nicholson asks her daughter Laurel for a book from her attic. In the book is a photo of Dorothy and her friend Vivien. Tracing the lives of the three women, the novel alternates between 2011 and early 1941, focusing on friendship, betrayal, and family.

I really liked this book, although it took me almost a month to get through it. It wasn't one I could pick up, read for a few minutes, and then put it down. It was too rich and too complex. I did have most of the secrets figured out, and I really liked how Morton drew her leading characters. ( )
  Hope_H | Oct 10, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,475,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible