The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

1,2071146,630 (4.09)71
Member:bhowell
Title:The Secret Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Atria Books (2012), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:fiction, Crime Thriller & Mystery, British fiction

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (109)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (113)
This was an interesting book. A mystery but not of the "Who done it?" type. Family secrets and plot twists. I thought the book could have been about one-third shorter and would have been the better for it. Although I was interested in the characters and the story I thought the author drew things out too much. I became frustrated when something was about to be revealed and then was delayed and interrupted a number of times. I found myself saying, "Tell us already!!!" The ending was wonderful, full of surprises and touching. It made my frustration feel worth it (though I wish the author would have been more brief and to the point). An interesting story. ( )
  padmacatell | Sep 8, 2014 |
Kate Morton always spins a rich, intriguing story and this one was no exception :) ( )
  Dana_Britt | Aug 25, 2014 |
Listened to this on audio on a recent road trip. Good story and luckily, a gifted voice actor doing the presentation. I liked the story and the details, and, sort of unfortunately for me, cottoned on to what would have been the "big reveal" very early on in the narrative. I guess I just know my amphibians and reptiles too well to miss an early clue. I did like the intermingling of wartime and present day, though reading about the passing of a beloved mother made me sad, and sorry that my own mother hadn't a passel of children surrounding her when she popped off. But she knew we all loved her, as did Dorothy in the story. That works, too.

a-favorite-author, at-least-the-writing-was-good, audio, currently-reading, good-but-made-me-sad, listened-in-the-car, made-me-look-something-up, places-i-have-been, taught-me-something, took-inside-to-listen ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 21, 2014 |
My work book club is reading this book for May 2014. I've read all of Kate Morton's other books and they are starting to seem cut from the same cloth. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the book but I would like something a little different. Maybe she could finally set a book in Australia where she lives.

In this book famous actress Laurel Nicolson decides to find out what caused her mother to plunge a cake knife into a man who turned up at their farmhouse 50 years ago, killing him instantly. Her mother is still alive but living out her last days in a hospital and she either isn't able or isn't willing to answer questions. Laurel's siblings don't even know about the incident because they were all away from the house and the entire matter was hushed up. There are a few clues and they lead back to London during the Blitz. Using Google and archives and old-fashioned foot work Laurel discovers more and more about her mother's past.

The story is well-written but a few things bothered me. For one thing, neither her mother nor father came from a farming background but they seem to have managed to operate a farm that they bought on a whim. For another, Laurel's mother was hardly questioned and certainly not charged over the death. Even in rural England I don't think a death (of a man who was a famous writer) would have been brushed aside so easily. Ah well, those quibbles aside the story is interesting and compelling. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 8, 2014 |
I am normally a Kate Morton fan but I found this one bogged down in detail that became downright tedious at times.This one wasn't for me. ( )
1 vote Iudita | Apr 18, 2014 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

546 wanted7 pay12 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible