The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

Member:bhowell
Title:The Secret Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Atria Books (2012), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:fiction, Crime Thriller & Mystery, British fiction

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (139)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (144)
I figured most of it out, don't worry, no spoilers here, probably only because a couple of friends let me know there were some real twists and it kept me thinking. And still I sat there sobbing at the end - how could she manage that? I definitely did not like this one as much as [b:The House At Riverton|1278752|The House At Riverton|Kate Morton|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356452218s/1278752.jpg|1267740]. Too much time spent on things that were not likeable to get to the happy bits, which were really only bittersweet. And Laurel herself was underdeveloped. Sorry, but not a real winner for me. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Keeps you guessing all the way to a surprise twist at the end. ( )
  dtempleton | Jan 24, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this story! It was interesting how certain characters I didn't really like, but then when I read the whole story and understood why they behaved the way they did, I admired them. This book was hard to put down. The ending had quite a few surprises!! ( )
  caprice6 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Celebrated English theater actress Laurel Nicolson returns home to the family farm Greenacres to reunite with her three sisters and brother as her mother lies dying in hospital. Now past the age of 90, Dorothy has grown up in an entirely different world and lived through the blitz, yet her adult children know her only as Ma. Only Laurel remembers an incident she witnessed as a teenager that would suggest Dorothy's past is not as straightforward as everyone had thought. Laurel sets out to make sense of what she saw 50 years ago and piece together her mother's life during the war years in London.

I can understand that some readers might find this a bit slow, some parts rather drawn out and, perhaps, the ending a little too neat. Still, I enjoyed this story from beginning to end. I found myself completely immersed in both storylines, past and present, and I couldn't wait to find out how it would fit together in the end. I will say that I guessed part of the conclusion early on, but it wasn't a drawback for me; this one is very much about the journey, not the destination.
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
I loved the writing and the story. Laurel is an amazing daughter searching for the secrets in her mother's past. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,257,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible