The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

Member:bhowell
Title:The Secret Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Atria Books (2012), Hardcover, 496 pages
Tags:fiction, Crime Thriller & Mystery, British fiction

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Recently added byThancox, private library, Grumpasaurus, MiriamMartin, MaraBlaise, pamduc3, Maijan
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (113)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (117)
This is a wonderful book. I loved how the author takes you back and forth between present day and 1941 to unravel the mystery of Dorothy's secret. I had trouble putting this book down. I think this will be a book that I will want to read multiple times! ( )
  MiriamMartin | Dec 12, 2014 |
I listened to the audio version of The Secret Keeper (loved the narrator)--this was my first book by Kate Morton. It started out a little slow and the intensity heated up along the way. The setting England 1960s and the Nicholson family is celebrating their youngest child’s birthday. Laurel (16) sneaks away for her treehouse, when she sees a man walk up the road and speak to her mother and little brother. Then she cannot believe, her mother takes the cake knife and stabs the guy. She and her mother never speak of the event again. The book jumps to 2011 and Laurel returns to visit her elderly mother and is determined to discover what happened that day before her mom dies.

The book jumps back and forth between the war 1940s and present day. Dorothy (mom)’s past is uncovered, going back to her teenage years and her romance with Jimmy and friendship with Vivian. I had to go back and listen to the audio several times as when you are driving or get distracted --you do not want to miss a thing!

A suspenseful novel with lots of twists and turns and keeps you hanging to learn of the next outcome. The characters are very well developed and the author clearly captures the emotions.

Lots of hidden secrets, a historical romance and mystery. I am typically not a huge fan of historical fiction; however, feel I would have enjoyed it better had I read on e-reader versus audio since it was moving back and forth in time.

I strongly recommend this book to lovers of mystery and historical fiction and look forward to reading her previous books. Very well done!! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Interesting mystery story. Lots of unexpected twists and surprises. ( )
  Katyefk | Nov 6, 2014 |
Previously, The Forgotten Garden was my favorite Kate Morton book but it has been knocked off its pedestal by The Secret Keeper. Once again Morton crafts her tale by switching between time periods and revealing the story bit by tiny bit and then bringing it all together at the end. The story begins in the summer of 1961 at a family garden party where Laurel Nicholson is taking a moment for herself in the tree house. She happens to look out of the window and witnesses a crime that is rarely spoken of after that day. When the family gathers to celebrate her mother's ninetieth birthday Laurel begins to delve into what really took place all those years ago. The Secret Keeper has a cast of interesting characters some that I liked and others that left much to be desired. At first I liked Dorothy's character but then some of her choices revealed her true nature. Jimmy was such a sweetheart and had such a kind spirit he quickly became my favorite character. Another great thing about this novel is the suspense factor and the way the author slowly ratchets it up and keeps you wanting to read just one more page. This book is a gem! I would highly recommend this to fans of historical fiction and family drama. 5 stars! ( )
  68papyrus | Sep 26, 2014 |
This was an interesting book. A mystery but not of the "Who done it?" type. Family secrets and plot twists. I thought the book could have been about one-third shorter and would have been the better for it. Although I was interested in the characters and the story I thought the author drew things out too much. I became frustrated when something was about to be revealed and then was delayed and interrupted a number of times. I found myself saying, "Tell us already!!!" The ending was wonderful, full of surprises and touching. It made my frustration feel worth it (though I wish the author would have been more brief and to the point). An interesting story. ( )
  padmajoy | Sep 8, 2014 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

546 wanted7 pay13 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible