The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton, Caroline Lee (Reader)

Member:kerinlo
Title:The Secret Keeper
Authors:Kate Morton
Other authors:Caroline Lee (Reader)
Info:Bolinda Audio (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Rating:*****
Tags:Family, WWII, secrets, love, betrayal, redemption

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (148)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (153)
Look, at least you always know what you are getting into with Kate Morton. Even if The Secret Keeper was a little disappointing for me, you still know it will deliver its quota of family DRA-MA!, secrets, and twists, with nice historical details and solid enough writing. She is good at what she does, and like Dan Brown she has pretty well perfected her formula. Her books are all like the slightly more pulpy and less intellectual cousins of Possession. I dig them. This one wasn't quite as good as some others I have read; I prefer the creepier, more gothic settings of The Forgotten Garden and The Distant Hours.

The exigencies of wartime/Blitz London are great fodder for novelists (see; Exhibit 1: Nancy Mitford, The Pursuit of Love; Exhibit 2: Elizabeth Bowen, The Heat of the Day; Exhibit 3: Kate Atkinson, Todd family saga; Exhibit 4: Graham Greene, The End of the Affair; Exhibit 5: Ian McEwen, Atonement; Exhibit 6: Muriel Spark, The Girls of Slender Means; & etc.). I think I just appreciate Morton more when she reaches back a little further in history and lets her Wilkie Collins-tinted roots show ( )
  sansmerci | May 19, 2016 |
As a reader, I live for the books that, when I'm finished, I'm so immensely satisfied all I can do is sit and ponder for a while. That's what this book did for me.

There are several things I liked about it. For starters, I enjoy reading about the WWII era. There are delightful bits of British humor scattered throughout. An unexpected love story. A narrative that kept me guessing until the end. And on a more personal note, Dorothy's family reminded me a lot of my own: four girls, one boy, and parents who love each other.

I am really glad I stumbled upon this book. ( )
  AngelClaw | May 10, 2016 |
It took me a little while to get into this story - a bit too much descriptive stuff in the beginning. However, once I got past that I found it a really engaging story about Laurel and her mother, Dorothy; set alternatively in 2011 and 1940 during WW 11. A mystery cleverly unravelled with good timing and intriguing detail, and a great twist at the end. Loved it. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton; ROOT; (3 1/2*)

I enjoyed this story line tremendously and did not feel nearly as pushed & pulled around time & characters as I have in Morton's other books. This one I can recommend. (happy, happy, joy, joy) ( )
  rainpebble | Apr 23, 2016 |
Mixed reactions amongst group because of its length. ( )
  secret8 | Apr 14, 2016 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible