The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton, Caroline Lee (Reader)

Member:kerinlo
Title:The Secret Keeper
Authors:Kate Morton
Other authors:Caroline Lee (Reader)
Info:Bolinda Audio (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Rating:*****
Tags:Family, WWII, secrets, love, betrayal, redemption

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (161)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (168)
Well, that was a plot twist of an ending. Just... wow. I totally didn't see that coming.

At first I wasn't sure I'd be into the book but as the mystery of the Dolly's Secret unraveled I got far more sucked in than I had anticipated. It also hit home rather hard a couple of times because I have elderly family members.

The way that all the clues knit together and formed a coherent story, despite the jumping around of the narrative, shows that Morton really knows what she's doing with her writing.

Overall, I came to like it in the end, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to read it again. ( )
  Serenova_Phoenix | Jun 26, 2017 |
I libri di Kate Morton sono speciali. Uno meglio dell'altro. Una delle mie autrici preferite ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
This had me enthralled and intrigued! I would be looking forward to many more from Kate in the future! ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
I have enjoyed reading all of Kate Morton's books, but this is by far her best. I liked the way she showed the parallels in the childhoods of the three female characters, despite the differences in time or place. The Secret is gradually revealed in hints that sometimes deceive. Lauren investigate her mother's wartime experiences using techniques familar to a family historian and we share her despair when her beloved mother Dolly appears to have an unsavoury past.

The first chapter is compelling in its detail of a sultry summer day and the detachment from her family felt by the 16 year old Lauren when suddenly she witnesses a terrifying event which makes no sense to her until, when she is in her 50s, she is able to connect all the threads together.

We learn about Dolly's life, partly through her eyes but also through the eyes of her friends and children. As the story progresses her actions disappoint the reader but finally at the end of the book she achieves redemption in a very satisfying way. ( )
  Somerville66 | May 29, 2017 |
Kate Morton is a master at weaving past and present, at drawing you in to a narrative, at building atmospheric haze you simply feel immersed in. Her novels never ever disappoint, I am an unabashed fan-girl. Rarely does a book leave me so gob-smacked, hit me from left field, and leave me in a literary hangover for days, shaking my head. This is one I highly recommend people to stick with. Depending on your tolerance for unlikable characters you are going to feel a disconnect. The payoff is there in spades. Well done! ( )
  CMDH5 | May 6, 2017 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,189,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible