The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton, Caroline Lee (Reader)

Title:The Secret Keeper
Authors:Kate Morton
Other authors:Caroline Lee (Reader)
Info:Bolinda Audio (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Tags:Family, WWII, secrets, love, betrayal, redemption

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (123)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (128)
Kate Morton has done it again. Even though life kept me away from the book for weeks at a time, the second I would pick it up again, I would be totally engrossed -- from the first chapter to the very last page. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
Another fantastic story. There are many characters and sub-plots. As you read it, some parts of the story seem to be superfluous. They aren't. Every scene contributes to the final outcome, which will blow you away. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
At a summer garden party in the 1960's, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has finally managed to slip away during a children's game of hide and seek. In the family's farmhouse situated in the rural English countryside, Laurel has escaped to her childhood treehouse and is happily dreaming of the future. Suddenly, way off in the distance, she spies a stranger walking along the road towards the farmhouse and watches as her mother speaks to him.

Although she doesn't realize it at the time, before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime. A crime that will ultimately challenge everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy - her vivacious, loving, nearly perfect mother. Laurel's happiness and contentment with her life will be shaken to its foundation, and rediscovering her peace of mind will subsequently lead her on the journey of a lifetime.

Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and highly-regarded actress living in London. The family has gathered at Greenacres farm to celebrate Dorothy's ninetieth birthday. Realizing that this may very well be her last chance, Laurel seizes her opportunity and searches for the answers to questions that still haunt her from that long-ago day. Answers that can only be found buried deep in Dorothy's past.

Dorothy's story spans the years from pre-World War II England through the blitz, into the 1960's and beyond. It is the shared secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds - Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy - who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are subsequently forever entwined. The Secret Keeper: A Novel explores longings and dreams and the unexpected consequences they sometimes bring. This is an unforgettable story of lovers and friends, deception and passion that is told against a backdrop of events that changed the world.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The story captured my attention right away and I was completely intrigued by the mystery. The mystery was certainly engrossing to me, and the plot was extremely dramatic and filled with quite a few unexpected twists and turns. I give The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton an A+! I will be sure to put this author's name on my Wish List. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jul 9, 2015 |
Took me a bit to get into this one but once I was in I was hooked! I loved the twists and the vocal was perfect. I listened to the Audible version of the book. ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
Great book, subtle mystery right up to the very end. Loved every aspect of the story. ( )
1 vote Donura1 | May 5, 2015 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,767,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible