The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Kate Morton

2,3811943,958 (4.08)144
Member:lindalainey
Title:The Secret Keeper: A Novel
Authors:Kate Morton
Info:Atria Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Recently added byprivate library, JayeJ, vermilliongate, joanne79, MaraBlaise, jessiewscott, rena75, ElizabethJenkinson
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (thebooky)
    thebooky: gothic in style
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (2LZ)
    2LZ: Kate Morton is an an amazing author and storyteller. The Forgotten Garden is one of my favorite novels, and I thought it was even better than The Secret Keeper.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (pdebolt)
    pdebolt: Similar in tone and intricacies of their mysteries.
    Atonement by Ian McEwan (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    Stone's Fall by Iain Pears (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The unearthing of secrets in different eras tie together these atmospheric historical novels, and while there are family secrets at the heart of both (as well as a rather suspicious death), Stone's Fall ties into more contemporary events as well.… (more)

English (186)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (194)
This was a very good book. Moments that I had to go back and reread parts over again because of all the "Oh!!!!!!!" moments. Laurel's life is good but her mother is dying and suddenly she's found her self on a trail to unravel the mystery of her mothers secretive past during the blitz. ( )
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
  Wapil | Mar 23, 2019 |
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton connect the past and present as the narrative moves between the chaotic days of WW II with contemporary Britain. Laurel witnessed a violent act in her teens but only now, as her mother celebrates her 90th birthday, does Laurel pursue the circumstances around the violence and her mother's past.

I enjoyed reading the book: interesting characters with complicated but familiar relationships between the family members. We see things primarily through the eyes of the oldest daughter, Laurel, who has kept her mother's secret all her life. But there are other secrets, too, some spoken and others only hinted at. As with many of Morton's book, this one hinges on coincidences to create twists in the narrative. I was a little put off by those coincidences as they seemed to pile up in the second half of the book. ( )
  witchyrichy | Feb 3, 2019 |
My first Kate Morton book, and I know it won't be the last,a s I have another waiting for me! The Secret Keeper is a well written book, with characters that are (mostly) believable, and the flitting through the timeframes is done very well.

I definitely did not see the twist coming, and went through several different scenarios in my head before the big reveal occurred. Morton took her time getting into the action (so to speak) but it worked well as it gave the reader a chance to get to know Laurel and her family, as well as some of the background information needed to understand the motivations of the characters during the war years. The writing was not over-flowery, and there was a strong understanding of the Blitz and the effects on those living in London at the time.

If you are willing to invest some brainpower into this book, then you will not be disappointed. If you want a quick and easy read, then this is perhaps not the book for you. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
An intriguing novel. I thought I had everything figured out but as it turned out, I completely missed it all!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I loved how the chapters alternated between past and present. It was well written and a treat to read. ( )
  Carole888 | Jan 19, 2019 |

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Selwa, friend, agent, champion
Rural England, a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a summer's day at the start of the nineteen sixties.

Fifty years after she witnessed a shocking crime at her family's farm in the English countryside, Laurel, now a successful London actress, returns to the farm and is overwhelmed by family secrets she has not thought of in decades.
Dorothy, Jimmy
And Vivien - lives entwined
During London Blitz.
(passion4reading)

During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy. Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy's ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy--who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined. "The Secret Keeper" explores longings and dreams, the lengths people go to fulfill them, and the consequences they can have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers, and schemers told--in Morton's signature style--against a backdrop of events that changed the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,867,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible