One in Every Crowd by Ivan E. Coyote

One in Every Crowd (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Ivan E. Coyote

Member:CaseyStepaniuk
Title:One in Every Crowd
Authors:Ivan E. Coyote
Info:Arsenal Pulp Press (2012), Paperback, 238 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Canadian, lesbian, trans, nonfiction, ead, young adult, queer

One in Every Crowd by Ivan E. Coyote (2012)

Whether or not you’re well acquainted with Ivan E. Coyote’s work when you pick up One in Every Crowd, you’re bound to love this most recent collection of hers, the first geared specifically towards queer youth. As a long-time fan, I loved rereading old stories from some of Coyote’s earlier books, especially the ones that take place in the Yukon during her childhood. It was also awesome to hear about some of her new experiences doing outreach / activism in the form of storytelling in high schools and to read some stories that speak directly to queer teens. I actually feel slightly guilty for taking this book out of the public library and potentially depriving a queer teen of it for a week. I’m returning it tomorrow, I promise!

Coyote has smartly divided the book into thematic sections, the first being “Kid I Was.” This section contains one of my all-time favourite Ivan Coyote stories, “No Bikini.” It has what is quite possibly one of the best first lines of fiction ever: “I had a sex change once, when I was six years old.”...

See the rest of my review on my website: http://caseythecanadianlesbrarian.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/so-many-words-of-disa... ( )
  CaseyStepaniuk | Jan 9, 2013 |
After getting my hands on One in Every Crowd the day it was made available at the public library, I brought it home and curled up on my couch to read it. I'm a big Ivan fan, so I really wanted to love this book.

The introduction started off great - is a letter to the kid Ivan was. It's sweet, funny, sad, and poignant, as you would expect from Coyote. The book is organized into sections based on themes (childhood, family, lessons, etc) and these are helpful to the reader.

As I got deeper into the book, I found myself increasingly disappointed. Many of the stories were previously published in Ivan's previous books or columns for Xtra West. The odd new gem was included - I particularly liked the update on Francis - but for the most part the book felt repackaged. I skimmed a great deal of these older stories, as I just finished reading "Loose Ends" last week.

It wasn't until near the end, in the "Kids I Met" section that the book came together and I started thinking this was another marvellous Coyote work. Ivan has several stories about bullying, visiting schools, and why she feels it's so important to get into schools and speak. Collectively, they send a strong message to readers about stepping up and opposing bullying, and to do their best to make the world safer for people of all kinds.

While the repeated stories irked me at first, I think that in an anthology that's aimed at young adults, the republished pieces were important. They help form a cohesive package, divided into different sections, and are aimed at kids who might not have read all of Coyote's other books. The stories are worth re-reading.

As a stand-alone book for readers who have had limited exposure to Coyote, I'm giving this a 4.5. For people familiar with Ivan's work, however, I'd drop my rating to a 3.5 due to lack of fresh content. ( )
  kjreed | Jun 11, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to Francis, Frances, Felice, and Zena, for making me make myself into a better human, and a better writer, and for making my world a more honest and beautiful place to live in. You are my teachers, my friends, my family, and my future, and this makes me feel lucky and blessed.
Dear Kid I Was:

Stories for everyone who has ever felt alone in their struggle to be true to themselves. These are honest, wry, plain-spoken tales about gender, identity and family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible