Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German…

Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German Edition) (original 1845; edition 1999)

by Heinrich Hoffmann, Mark Twain (Translator)

6762014,150 (4)16
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German Edition)
Authors:Heinrich Hoffmann
Other authors:Mark Twain (Translator)
Info:P. Reclam (1999), Paperback, 70 pages
Tags:fiction, in 2009, German

Der Struwwelpeter by Heinrich Hoffmann (1845)

English (18)  German (2)  All languages (20)
"The English Struwwelpeter or Pretty Stories and Funny Pictures", October 8, 2014

This review is from: Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I was brought up on Struwwelpeter - a series of hilarious 'morality rhymes' for children from 1840s Germany. Who could forget 'Fidgety Phil' pulling the tablecloth and all its contents onto his head? ("Table oh so bare, and ah! Poor Papa and poor Mama Look quite cross, and wonder how They shall make their dinner now.") Or chubby Augustus who wouldn't eat his soup and met a sticky end ("He's like a little bit of thread, and on the fifth day - he was dead!")
More grotesque is the Long Red Legged Scissorman who cuts off Conrad's thumbs when he sucks them ("Mama had scarcely turned her back, the thumb was in, Alas! Alack!")
But 21st century readers may have more sympathy with the hare who runs off with the hunter's gun and turns it on him; the boys who mock a black child and are dipped in a huge bottle of ink by 'Great Agrippa', and the dog who bites Cruel Frederick, then eats his dinner.
24 utterly unforgettable pages. I would certainly disagree with reviewers who think it's too bloodthirsty for children (I adored it - I got my book aged around 8), and have just bought a copy for my granddaughter. ( )
  starbox | Oct 8, 2014 |
Traditional collection of German didactic verses for children (usually translated "shock-headed Peter) but children who do bad things and come to bizarre ends. "Johnny Head in the Air (Hanns Guck in die Luft) is referenced in Sayer's story "Uncle Meleager's Will" and there are other references suggesting it was well known in late-nineteenth early twentieth century Britain. Ciever illustrations. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 27, 2013 |
This book is the antidote to Disney. It is the opposite of all those nasty, sugar-sweet versions of Cinderella, the Little Mermaid and worst of all Winnie-the-Pooh. Worst because Eeyore was, in the original, A.A. Milne version, a sarcastic, depressive real loner of a donkey, not a sweet-natured stuffed toy.

Struwwelpeter is all about children getting punished in the nastiest possible ways for their awful misdeeds. I loved this book when I was a kid. I also loved Disney, but I grew out of that, except for Bambi. Have to love Bambi.

My two personal favourites of the stories are firstly, Conrad, aka Little Suck-a-Thumb who was told that if he didn't stop plugging his mouth with his thumb he would get it cut off. And when he didn't and his mother was out, the nasty Scissorman came and snip snap, both thumbs gone!

Secondly is Augustus, my personal favourite, who starved himself to death rather than drink the nasty soup he was served for lunch. I had some sympathy there as more than once I had to sit at the lunch table, even missing school in the afternoon, because I wouldn't drink up the nasty chicken soup. I know that being Jewish chicken soup is supposed to be in my dna, but it just isn't and I hate the stuff, loathe it Or another time, wouldn't eat the liver casserole, cold with congealed floating grease, or lamb chops glistening with fat...

These sort of stories were much more satisfying to me as a child being delightfully shivery.

But there was something else. Children have a very highly developed sense of justice. They are forever saying, "it's not fair" about some perceived injustice. Stories like these where naughty children get their comeuppance appeal to kids, they see the fitness of a punishment, rather than the forgiveness and sugary reward and happily-ever-after od Disney that never actually comes their way when they've been very naughty little boys and girls.

You can read all the stories and see the original hand-coloured woodblock prints on the Gutenberg site.

1 vote Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
Der Struwwelpeter is classic German children's book, but one that, in my opinion, is (or at least can be) rather frightening and too strictly pedagogical for most children of today. I was actually frightened by many of the stories as a young child, and while I have more of an appreciation for the book now, I still think that many of the anecdotes (as well as the illustrations) can be truly creepy for imaginative and sensitive children. I certainly would not simply read this book aloud to children, unless I were absolutely sure that they would not be unduly freaked out by the stories (or the accompanying pictures). ( )
  gundulabaehre | Mar 31, 2013 |
Rating this translation of the classic German picture book is difficult. Yes, the book was and is a classic, but I do not believe that the stories contained therein are at all suitable for some children, especially those children who have a very vivid imagination. My grandmother read me the German version of this book when I was a child, and some of the stories actually gave me nightmares. I was absolutely sure that the tailor would come with his horrible scissors and cut off my brother's thumbs (because he sucked his thumbs at the time), and the terrible story of the little girl burned to death because she played with matches frightened me so much that I did not even attempt to light a match until I was about 18 years old. The stories and pictures are entertaining to a point, and the book is a worthwhile and interesting example of 19th century German children's literature and pedagogy, but in my opinion, it is not a book which can and should be read to very young children. Older children might find a discussion of the different pedagogical methods intriguing, but Heinrich Hoffmann's work should never simply be read to to any child without first making sure that the former will not be needlessly frightened by the stories and/or illustrations. ( )
  gundulabaehre | Mar 31, 2013 |

Applebaum, J. D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kredel, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twain, MarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, Jack DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

One of the most popular and influential children's book ever written, this time-honored tale — sure to produce lots of giggles — describes the gruesome consequences that befall children who torment animals, play with matches, suck their thumbs, refuse to eat, and fidget at meals. A collector's item, written in rhyming couplets and illustrated by the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:08 -0400)

Presents a collection of German cautionary tales, featuring such characters as Shock-Headed Peter, Cruel Frederick, Little Suck-a-Thumb, and the Inky Boys. Includes a brief biography of the author.

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible