Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German…

Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German Edition) (original 1845; edition 1999)

by Heinrich Hoffmann, Mark Twain (Translator)

Member:LizzySiddal
Title:Der Struwwelpeter Auf Englisch (German Edition)
Authors:Heinrich Hoffmann
Other authors:Mark Twain (Translator)
Info:P. Reclam (1999), Paperback, 70 pages
Tags:fiction, in 2009, german

Der Struwwelpeter by Heinrich Hoffmann (1845)

English (22)  German (2)  All languages (24)
At first look, this seems highly in appropriate to read to children. However, after reading more about the author's motivation for writing it, in a time where children's books were dry and laden with obvious and rigid lessons, I can appreciate this book. Originally in German, this classic gives gruesome cautionary tales to ill-behaved children. When read with an open mind, humor can be found in the consequences for the defiant actions of some children. The thumb sucking one is outrageous, and some parents might not feel too comfortable with the content, but I'm sure a child would even be able to interpret the exaggeration of it all.
  carrier3 | Jun 2, 2016 |
Fun children's classic whose illustrations really appealed to me. Doesn't really stand out to me as a one off but definitely enjoyed the story and the characters involved. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
"The English Struwwelpeter or Pretty Stories and Funny Pictures", October 8, 2014

This review is from: Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I was brought up on Struwwelpeter - a series of hilarious 'morality rhymes' for children from 1840s Germany. Who could forget 'Fidgety Phil' pulling the tablecloth and all its contents onto his head? ("Table oh so bare, and ah! Poor Papa and poor Mama Look quite cross, and wonder how They shall make their dinner now.") Or chubby Augustus who wouldn't eat his soup and met a sticky end ("He's like a little bit of thread, and on the fifth day - he was dead!")
More grotesque is the Long Red Legged Scissorman who cuts off Conrad's thumbs when he sucks them ("Mama had scarcely turned her back, the thumb was in, Alas! Alack!")
But 21st century readers may have more sympathy with the hare who runs off with the hunter's gun and turns it on him; the boys who mock a black child and are dipped in a huge bottle of ink by 'Great Agrippa', and the dog who bites Cruel Frederick, then eats his dinner.
24 utterly unforgettable pages. I would certainly disagree with reviewers who think it's too bloodthirsty for children (I adored it - I got my book aged around 8), and have just bought a copy for my granddaughter. ( )
  starbox | Oct 8, 2014 |

Applebaum, J. D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kredel, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twain, MarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, Jack DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

One of the most popular and influential children's book ever written, this time-honored tale — sure to produce lots of giggles — describes the gruesome consequences that befall children who torment animals, play with matches, suck their thumbs, refuse to eat, and fidget at meals. A collector's item, written in rhyming couplets and illustrated by the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:45 -0400)

Presents a collection of German cautionary tales, featuring such characters as Shock-Headed Peter, Cruel Frederick, Little Suck-a-Thumb, and the Inky Boys. Includes a brief biography of the author.

Feral House

An edition of this book was published by Feral House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible