The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment…

The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment Books) (edition 2000)

by Kathryn Wesley

5462018,349 (3.66)14
Member:msbhaven
Title:The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment Books)
Authors:Kathryn Wesley
Info:Kensington (2000), Paperback, 479 pages
Tags:Movie/TV Tie-In, Boovie

10th Kingdom by Kathryn Wesley

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
A woman, who’s lost her mother as a young child and now forced to work hard at her jobs in order to support her childish lazy father, suddenly finds herself thrust into another world full of magic and mythology. The hero, a werewolf who’s been hired by the evil queen to kill the heroine, is instantly stunned by his prey and her beauty and knows that not only could he never kill her but he wants her for himself. The heroine starts off strongly disliking the hero as he’s very aggressive with his affections and does and says things that hurt her or her family. But she does team up with him and her lazy father to find the mirror which is a portal to take her home. Together they have quite a few adventures and their travels takes them through different fairy tales and slowly the heroine starts to warm to the hero. He’s funny, awkward and more wolf than human as he’s clumsy with his courtship but you can see that he’s trying his best and doing what he thinks will win the heroine love. The heroine was a bit stuck up for most of the book and treated the hero as shit and was so wrapped up in her want to return home that she didn’t really care about anyone else’s problems. When they did finally get together, you get a chance to see that the hero can be a man and not always a childish boy. I did find it to be much more Fantasy than romance but I thought it was alright. Much preferred the mini series though. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Being a fan of the miniseries of which this book was the novelization, I was excited to find a used copy, hoping that the book might contain additional depth, deleted scenes, all of those little extras. What I found was a shallow, surface approach to the source material, which reminded me why I don't usually read novelizations.

The book felt as if it had been adapted directly from the shooting script, with bare description and dialogue tags added to construct a narrative. In places where it would have made sense to explore character motivations further, to give each character a distinct narrative voice, there was simply a depressing sameness. It was inoffensive and functional, but lacking in artistry.

That being said, the story itself had all the strength of the original--as well as its flaws. In sheer execution, the book probably doesn't deserve the two and a half stars I gave it, but my goodwill towards the story wouldn't allow me to rank it any lower.

Recommendation: For diehard fans of the miniseries, although a young reader who never saw it might find much to enjoy in the book. ( )
  shabacus | May 23, 2013 |
Easy, fun read. Unfortunately, I don't remember much more about it than that. Something else I might revisit, given my (rekindled?) interest in fairytales, retellings, and making new things out of old cloth. (Putting new wine in old bottles -- isn't that how someone puts it? Maybe Angela Carter?) ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Fabulous companion to the mini-series I love so dearly. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
Leaves out a lot of the great parts of the movie, butchers personalities, and is poorly written. I don't think I'll be touching anything by Ms. Wesley again in a long time. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
For Paul.
Virginia rested her elbows on the windowsill and leaned into the breeze.

blurb:Romance, deceit, heroism, lies, adventure, and true love - just another day in the Big Apple? No way. Welcome to the 10th Kingdom.
Suppose you were on your way to work. Not a great job, just one that pays the bills. And suddenly you are in the middle of a fantastic adventure and running for your life.
You don’t believe it could happen? Well, it could, and in the 10th Kingdom, it does.
Embark on an odyssey that will grip your imagination, steal your heart - and leave you spellbound as only the very best story can.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,891,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible