The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment…

The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment Books) (edition 2000)

by Kathryn Wesley

5012020,341 (3.67)14
Member:silvercloverv
Title:The 10th Kingdom (Hallmark Entertainment Books)
Authors:Kathryn Wesley
Info:Kensington (2000), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 479 pages

10th Kingdom by Kathryn Wesley

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
The miniseries was a fun, frolicking romp through the land of Fairy Tales with some inspirational twists to the traditional plots of each tale. The book provides a better in-depth twisting of each fairy tale, but is a faithful rendition of the mini-series. While I certainly enjoyed the concepts with my own imagination far better than having it provided for me in a format on the screen - I fear that others will not find the novel quite as amusing as I did. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
Being a fan of the miniseries of which this book was the novelization, I was excited to find a used copy, hoping that the book might contain additional depth, deleted scenes, all of those little extras. What I found was a shallow, surface approach to the source material, which reminded me why I don't usually read novelizations.

The book felt as if it had been adapted directly from the shooting script, with bare description and dialogue tags added to construct a narrative. In places where it would have made sense to explore character motivations further, to give each character a distinct narrative voice, there was simply a depressing sameness. It was inoffensive and functional, but lacking in artistry.

That being said, the story itself had all the strength of the original--as well as its flaws. In sheer execution, the book probably doesn't deserve the two and a half stars I gave it, but my goodwill towards the story wouldn't allow me to rank it any lower.

Recommendation: For diehard fans of the miniseries, although a young reader who never saw it might find much to enjoy in the book. ( )
  shabacus | May 23, 2013 |
Easy, fun read. Unfortunately, I don't remember much more about it than that. Something else I might revisit, given my (rekindled?) interest in fairytales, retellings, and making new things out of old cloth. (Putting new wine in old bottles -- isn't that how someone puts it? Maybe Angela Carter?) ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Fabulous companion to the mini-series I love so dearly. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |
Leaves out a lot of the great parts of the movie, butchers personalities, and is poorly written. I don't think I'll be touching anything by Ms. Wesley again in a long time. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
For Paul.
Virginia rested her elbows on the windowsill and leaned into the breeze.

blurb:Romance, deceit, heroism, lies, adventure, and true love - just another day in the Big Apple? No way. Welcome to the 10th Kingdom.
Suppose you were on your way to work. Not a great job, just one that pays the bills. And suddenly you are in the middle of a fantastic adventure and running for your life.
You don’t believe it could happen? Well, it could, and in the 10th Kingdom, it does.
Embark on an odyssey that will grip your imagination, steal your heart - and leave you spellbound as only the very best story can.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible