The Witness by Nora Roberts

The Witness (edition 2012)

by Nora Roberts

Member:bleu21
Title:The Witness
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 496 pages

The Witness by Nora Roberts (Author)

In Roberts’ romantic suspense novel, Elizabeth Fitch is 16 and very intelligent. Her mother has strictly controller her life, so when Mom goes to an out-of-town conference, leaving Elizabeth alone, she responds by heading to the mall to do some shopping.

Before long, Elizabeth has a new friend, dyed her hair red, adopted a nickname—Liz, and decides to use her tech skills to create some fake I.D.s so she and her new friend can go clubbing. The consequences to her actions result in the unfortunate and the deadly when she accidentally tangles with the Russian mob. When a stint in a witness protection program goes wrong, she heads off alone, determined to rely only on herself. Eventually she changes her name to Abigail and becomes a social recluse, highly intelligent but very lacking in social skills and settles in Arkansas.

The story allows the reader to meet the main character at 16, follow her through the ups and downs of growing up, and see her again as an adult complete with all her talents and imperfections.

As always, Roberts has developed a multi-faceted story full of wonderful characters. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jun 30, 2014 |
I don’t particularly like Nora Roberts’ writing. Her writing is formulaic and predictable. Yet, I find myself continuously drawn back to her novels. I usually find myself opening a Roberts’ novel after I’ve read a couple of heavy books and need something light to read.

The Witness is classic Nora Roberts. The main character Elizabeth has the bad luck to end up at a home with members of the Russian Mafia and witnesses a crime. From that moment on, she is a witness, and is wanting by the same men she saw commit murder. I found the beginning of the book to be interesting and liked how Roberts created the early characters. But, once Elizabeth reemerges as Abigail and meets the police chief, Brooks, my attention was lost. I really disliked the character Brooks. I know that I was supposed to fall in love with him and swoon all over his manliness but I was actually turned off by his pushiness and his refusal to give Abigail her space.

But, like I said, even though I disliked The Witness, I will continue to read Nora Roberts. Perhaps it’s because I was so charmed with the first set of books that I read by her, The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy (Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, and Heart of the Sea). I’ve even pre-ordered the first book of her upcoming Cousins O’Dwyer Trilogy. ;-) ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man’s seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems—and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail’s reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something—and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed. (Amaz. Desc.)

This book has Roberts' trademark combination of romance, suspense, fast pace and interesting characters. Abigail is particularly fascinating with her eidetic memory, genius-level IQ, and lack of social skills. She reminds me a lot of the character "Temperance" on Bones. Highly Recommended. ( )
  lrobe190 | Mar 5, 2014 |
Rated 4.5
Review forthcomlng ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I loved this book. ( )
  kim.richards.739 | Dec 27, 2013 |

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security  systems—and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail’s reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something—and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today’s most reliably entertaining thriller
author—and will leave people hungering for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:18 -0400)

"A brand new novel--and a stunning new heroine--from the #1 New York Times bestselling author"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible