The Witness by Nora Roberts

The Witness (edition 2012)

by Nora Roberts

Member:bleu21
Title:The Witness
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 496 pages

The Witness by Nora Roberts (Author)

English (47)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (52)
This book was unbelievable! I could not put it down! If you've never read Nora, this book is an awesome place to start!!! I only wish I could give it more than 5 stars. ( )
  butterfly58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
The Witness
4 Stars

Synopsis
Following one night of teenage rebellion against her controlling mother, Elizabeth Fitch's life changes forever. As the only witness to a bloody crime, Elizabeth must run for her life. Twelve years later, living as a recluse in a small town in the Ozarks, Abigail Lowrey has finally found some peace and quiet, or so she thinks, as tenacious police chief, Brooks Gleason, has decided to make it his mission in life to get under Abigail's skin and learn all her secrets.

Note: This review may contain ***SPOILERS***. Please do not read ahead if you don't want to know what happens.

Review
Excellent premise, good execution, however, it left me vaguely disappointed.

Let's get my biggest peeve out of the way right off the bat. A great deal of poetic license is taken with WITSEC (the Witness Protection Program), an organization famous for NEVER losing a witness. Suddenly, we have not one but three corrupt agents and a witness losing their life - I don't think so!

Whew! It was good to get that off my chest.

Nora is a undoubtedly a wonderful storyteller and her skill at building gripping tension and suspense is very evident here. Nevertheless, the resolution to this tension fails to materialize. There is much detail put into Abigail's elaborate security system, which is never put to the test, and her huge bullmastiff never gets to tear anyone's throat out - very disappointing.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the Russian hitman to turn up on Abigail's doorstep but, unfortunately, he never does and she doesn't get to blow anyone away. In addition, given the few scenes told from Ilya and Sergei's POVs, it is a pity that there is no follow up to their comeuppance.

On a more positive note, Nora's characters, as always, are very endearing, especially Elizabeth/Abigail. She is definitely an original - quirky, nerdy and tactless to the extreme. Her personality is reminiscent of Temperance Brennan on Bones but unlike some reviewers I do not view this as plagiarism. Elizabeth's background and behavior is very unlike Tempe's (I cannot see Brennan hiding anywhere for 12 years).

Brooks is a typical Nora hero and while he is amazing, I do wish Nora would shake things up a little. He is almost too perfect - too understanding, too sympathetic, too patient - there is no conflict to his and Abigail's relationship, which makes it somewhat bland.

The writing is solid and the secondary plot lines add to characterization although they do not mesh well with the larger story. Happily, the dialogue is laugh out loud funny at times. So, all in all, an entertaining read and one I prefer over Nora's more recent works - namely Chasing Fire and The Bride Quartet.

Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The Witness is the second of Nora Roberts "romance" novels (her 200th book!) that I've read in the past few years and it represented a whizbang re-entry into the genre! I found the book to be filled to the brim with red-hot romance, suspense, international intrigue, strong characterizations and a storyline that kept me engaged throughout - it was a great read! I was drawn to the female characters in this book - especially the incredibly intelligent female lead who proved to be strong, fearless and very capable of dealing with whatever transpired. I enjoyed Nora Roberts' books, years ago; that hasn't changed. That having been said, it was gratifying to see that she has embraced today's world though her writing thus keeping her style "relevant", realistic and very entertaining. I certainly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced, sexy and engaging book that'll keep you on the edge of your seat until the end! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I'm a hot and cold fan of Nora Roberts: it's a love/hate relationship. But The Witness, IMHO, stands out as one of her best works.

Expecting it to be a traditional romance, I was perplexed when the first several chapters of the book describe the adventures of a 16 year old girl. Roberts - a YA? But no. This was the author's ingenious way of giving us the crucial backstory on the main character so we can fully understand her when we flash forward twelve years.

Abigail Dowery lives a self-imposed, cloistered life in a remote town in the Ozark mountains, with security cameras riddling her property, firearms in every drawer and cupboard, and a really big dog. A mystery to the local townsfolk, she remains aloof until police chief Brooks Gleason, who likes to solve mysteries‰ÃƒÂ›ÃƒÂ“and problems, starts making himself an uninvited guest at Abigail's house. Brooks won't stop until he's figured her out. Abigail tries to resist, but she's not only a recluse with a secret, but she's also a very human woman. One who finds the attraction between her and Brooks irresistible.

Combining an espionage with a classic romance, Roberts does an outstanding job of bringing together two most unlikely characters into the love story of the century. I listened to it on Audible, and the narrator, Julia Whelan, did an outstanding job of telling the story and capturing the nuances of each character's personality. I highly recommend The Witness, and wonder when the film industry will wake up and realize it would make an awesome movie. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
This is a typical Nora Robert’s tale. It has a self-sufficient strong female lead with a weakness for a good-looking man that will not take no for an answer. It starts with a female in an unusual situation that captures your attention. There are several holes in the timeline and pacing that leaves little room for character development. This is the book to read if you are looking for a predictable intrigue type romance, which does not require much imagination. ( )
  bemislibrary | Apr 23, 2016 |

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man’s seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security  systems—and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail’s reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something—and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today’s most reliably entertaining thriller
author—and will leave people hungering for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

"A brand new novel--and a stunning new heroine--from the #1 New York Times bestselling author"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible