The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic,…

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that… (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Erik Larson

13,043442175 (4.01)1 / 692
Member:Auggie
Title:The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
Authors:Erik Larson
Info:Vintage (2004), Paperback, 447 pages
Tags:01/23/2013

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, ChadWS, nielsen26, knsievert, kellifrobinson, jnlutz, sanabo, SENSpence
    Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris by David King (jbgryphon)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (bnbookgirl)
    Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (thatwordnerd)
    thatwordnerd: Both books tell a true story, with a multitude of sources, but are written in a way that makes the reader feel as if it is almost fiction. The reader (see more) is not hit over the head with facts and is able to get sucked into the story and the era.
    Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-of-the-Century Chicago by Harold Schechter (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another account of H.H. Holmes
    American Gothic by Robert Bloch (CarlT)
    CarlT: Though AMERICAN GOTHIC is fiction and THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY is non-fiction, both books are based on the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 (nicknamed "The White City") and the horrific murders committed by serial killer Henry H. Holmes.
    The Infamous Burke and Hare: Serial Killers and Resurrectionists of Nineteenth Century Edinburgh by R. Michael Gordon (cammykitty)
    Heartland Serial Killers: Belle Gunness, Johann Hoch, and Murder for Profit in Gaslight Era Chicago by Richard C. Lindberg (meggyweg)
    Walter Dew: The Man Who Caught Crippen by Nicholas Connell (mysterymax)
    The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers who Inspired Chicago by Douglas Perry (browner56)
    browner56: Two fascinating looks at murder and mayhem in the Windy City at the turn of the last century.
    The Inventor and the Tycoon by Edward Ball (davesmind)
    Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbott (DK_Atkinson)
    The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt (elbakerone)
    The Devil's Rooming House: The True Story of America's Deadliest Female Serial Killer by M. William Phelps (bnbookgirl)
    bnbookgirl: mixing true crime with historical event
    The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of The Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Both concern late-19th C American killers in the backdrop of a bigger social story of advancement (Chicago Fair and Oxford English Dictionary).
    Michelangelo & The Pope's Ceiling by Ross King (elbakerone)
    Conquering Gotham : a Gilded Age epic : the construction of Penn Station and its tunnels by Jill Jonnes (AnnaClaire)
    Eiffel's Tower: And the World's Fair Where Buffalo Bill Beguiled Paris, the Artists Quarreled, and Thomas Edison Became a Count by Jill Jonnes (Anonymous user, itbgc)
    The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt (JGoto)
    The Kid of Coney Island: Fred Thompson and the Rise of American Amusements by Woody Register (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Hellhound on His Trail : the Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr., and the International Hunt for His Assassin by Hampton Sides (boo-radley)

English (438)  Danish (2)  All languages (440)
A must read! Fascinating story of America's first known serial killer. ( )
  emilyjm | Oct 29, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the Information about the Fair to be totally fascinating even though I was really only interested in the serial killer to start. I learned so much about this time period of history. For some reason I didn't know anything about it. I wish I had been made to read books like this in school because I would have actually liked history if we had. I listened to the audio version of this and the narrator was excellent. ( )
  Barb_H | Oct 8, 2014 |
This book was very good, but I personally found its robust history and wandering detail kind of exhausting. In the end, it prevented me from finishing the book. I may try and pick it up again someday, when I have more patience for that sort of thing. ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
Written so well and in elegant style, I had to keep checking to make sure I wasn't reading a fiction novel. This biography follows the lives of two men, an architect and a serial killer. Their stories are told against the backdrop of industrial Chicago- a marvelous yet equally terrifying sight to behold. The novel skyscrapers were praised but many said to walk away from it and never look back. A masterpiece, worth the read. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
What a fascinating book! It brought to life another time period and made me rethink all that I knew about Chicago architecture and about the time period in general, as the nation looked toward Chicago and the world's Fair. I can understand the reasons for the parallel story, but found it awkward and made for an uneven pace and while it tried to contribute to the narrative, found it only frustrated the tale. ( )
  astasin | Sep 9, 2014 |
it could nearly be Broadway, but Larson - who might be the last living writer still to use the word "harbinger" - does not successfully resolve an interesting idea into a wholly cohesive narrative. Evoke as he might, Larson's pre-emptive declaration early in the book that, while both "handsome and blue eyed", the "two never met" undermines the plot of a history book that reads like fiction.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Stephen Bayley (Jul 26, 2003)

In ''The Devil in the White City,'' Erik Larson, the author of ''Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History,'' wants to tell the whole story, both the glory of Burnham's creation and the sordid details of the first known urban psychopath in American history. It is not a comfortable fit. He uses language well, but has little sense of pacing or focus, perhaps because of the huge amount of material available on the fair.

Mr. Larson has written a dynamic, enveloping book filled with haunting, closely annotated information. And it doesn't hurt that this truth really is stranger than fiction.

Erik Larsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.
Daniel H. Burnham

Director of Works

World's Columbian Exposition, 1893
I was born with the devil in me. I could not help the fact that I was a murderer, no more than a poet can help the inspiration to sing.
Dr. H. H. Holmes

Confession

To Chris, Kristen, Lauren, and Erin,

for making it all worthwhile

—and to Molly, whose lust for socks

kept us all on our toes
The date was April 14, 1912, a sinister day in maritime history, but of course the man in suite 63–65, shelter deck C, did not yet know it.
Author Erik Larson imbues the incredible events surrounding the 1893 Chicago World's Fair with such drama that readers may find themselves checking the book's categorization to be sure that The Devil in the White City is not, in fact, a highly imaginative novel. Larson tells the stories of two men: Daniel H. Burnham, the architect responsible for the fair's construction, and H.H. Holmes, a serial killer masquerading as a charming doctor. Burnham's challenge was immense. In a short period of time, he was forced to overcome the death of his partner and numerous other obstacles to construct the famous "White City" around which the fair was built. His efforts to complete the project, and the fair's incredible success, are skillfully related along with entertaining appearances by such notables as Buffalo Bill Cody, Susan B. Anthony, and Thomas Edison. The activities of the sinister Dr. Holmes, who is believed to be responsible for scores of murders around the time of the fair, are equally remarkable. He devised and erected the World's Fair Hotel, complete with crematorium and gas chamber, near the fairgrounds and used the event as well as his own charismatic personality to lure victims. Combining the stories of an architect and a killer in one book, mostly in alternating chapters, seems like an odd choice but it works. The magical appeal and horrifying dark side of 19th-century Chicago are both revealed through Larson's skillful writing. --John Moe

Ar 9.2, 23 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375725601, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

While Daniel H. Burnham builds the glittering 1893 Chicago World's Fair, a serial killer lures young women to a torture chamber.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible