Crimson Groves by Ashley Robertson

Crimson Groves

by Ashley Robertson

I received this book in exchange for a honest review.
Crimson Groves by Ashley Robertson

This is the first book I read by this author. This book was an engaging read. I was highly captivated through the whole book and couldn't put it down. There were tons of twists and turns that I did not foresee happening. I'm patiently waiting for the next book in this astounding series. The writer had a wonderful story line and plot. I loved the characters especially Abby. You love to hate the bad guy and hope he gets his. You are also torn between the human Tyler and the vampire stone of Abby's love interest. I possibly can't wait to see what will happen between the three of them.
The book is about Abigail Tate or by her friends Abby. She is a gal that works at a bar being a bartender who one day receives an odd phone call from her father that she know nothing about. She is confused and don't know whether to blow it off. Then walks Bronx who will change her life forever, but not in a good way. Have to read the book to know the rest! I give this book 5 stars!!! LOVE IT! ( )
  Merisha_Abbott | Aug 1, 2013 |
3½ stars out of 5 stars

I let my ideas and thoughts about Ashley Robertson’s Crimson Groves rattle around in my brain for a few days before writing my review. During the rattling process, I discovered that the most appropriate way for me to review this introductory YA novel is to compile a pros and cons list. So, dear reader, here goes nothing!

Cons:
1. Abby. Abby is the lead female in this novel and is a way too trusting sucker (HA!)! On several occasions I found myself wanting to yell at her to pull her head out of her butt and stop trusting every single Tom, Dick, and vampire she encountered. Abby’s trusting nature gets her into a ton of trouble far too often. Seriously, how many times does she have to be betrayed before she learns?
2. Abby’s dad. For me, Abby’s dad was pretty much useless in the overall plot. I know this sounds harsh, but his appearances were so brief that they truly would not have been missed had they been completely eliminated from the novel.
3. The overall time frame is just too short for me. So much action is spread across a lot of land and packed into such a short amount of time that it causes the plot to feel rushed and unrealistic.
4. Backstory: I am a big, big fan of backstory, and Crimson Groves just didn’t have enough for me. More, please!

Pros:
1. Abby. To be fair, Abby does have some shining moments, however infrequent. I am hoping these moments will become more frequent and shinier in subsequent installments of the series. Also, Robertson has given Abby a pretty cool and rather unusual twist to her vampire powers.
2. Bronx. Originally, I had Bronx listed among the cons, but, once I actually wrote about him, I realized he is a very well-written character despite his awfulness. I think I can safely say Bronx is the single most heinous and vile character in this novel. His actions, comments, and very presence made my skin crawl. I desperately wanted something awful to happen to him. Kudos to you, Ashley Robertson, for creating such a despicable character.
3. The minor cast of characters. This novel has a bevy of minor characters that I would very much encourage Robertson to more fully develop in future installments of this series. For example, the über-powerful Head Council is absolutely intriguing, the vampire Stone seems as if he could be much, much more to Abby then just a friend, and Abby’s mother, while she won’t be able to make an actual appearance in future novels, has a backstory that could be a big, big part of the Crimson Series future.

The bottom line: In order to be completely honest, I don’t feel like I can rate this first-in-a-series novel higher than 3½ stars out of 5. Since I refuse to end on a negative note, I offer the following: 1) I never got so frustrated with this novel that I wanted to quit reading, and 2) I can absolutely see a great deal of potential in this series’ future! ( )
  arthistorychick | Jul 8, 2012 |
Abby Tate is having a average work day, when vampire Bronx walks into the bar and changes her life. He seduces Abby, changing her against her will - keeping her captive. Eager to escape her hell, she finds hope in a human.

Good story! I love vampire stories and read a lot of them, so I'm always look for something different and Crimson Grove definitely fits the bill. It was captivating and suspenseful. The first two chapters alone had me on the edge of my seat. Abby is a great character. She is written in such a way that makes her very real. Ms. Robertson has a wonderful writing voice. Vampire lovers will want to gobble this one up. ( )
1 vote vampiregirl76 | Apr 19, 2012 |

Abigail Tate was a normal human girl. Until the day Bronx the vampire barges into her life and turns her against her will. Held captive while forced to deal with never ending cravings for blood, Abby prays for a way to escape. Only when an opportunity arises, it's with the aid of an innocent human named Tyler--except vampires are forbidden to interact with the unbitten. But Abby quickly learns this human has secrets of his own...secrets that can either help her or get her killed. Only Abby discovers that she was the one with the biggest secret of them all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible