First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo…

First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Member:goyo
Title:First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 of the Silo Series)
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 236 pages
Rating:*****

First Shift: Legacy by Hugh Howey (2012)

Www.sffworld.com/breoff/850.html
I like this review. Read it!
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
An okay prequel to the Wool Omnibus. I am sure I bring preconceived notions to self-published books. The ideas were cool, but not fleshed out enough. Too short, but I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it any more if it were longer. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I wish I had known this was a prequel series prior to reading the Wool books, as I would have started with the Shift books. That being said, I did enjoy this story. It was a little confusing to follow at first jumping each chapter from "history" to "current" but once I grasped what was going on, I found I enjoyed receiving both tales in that manner. It was also interesting to see the differences between Silo 1 and the Silos previously read about in the Wool books. I look forward to reading the rest of the series as well as the Dust book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Description: In 2007, the Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platform that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs, and even self-propagate.

In the same year, the CBS network re-aired a program about the effects of propranolol on sufferers of extreme trauma. A simple pill, it had been discovered, could wipe out the memory of any traumatic event.

At almost the same moment in humanity’s broad history, mankind had discovered the means for bringing about its utter downfall. And the ability to forget it ever happened.

Thoughts: So you all witnessed my inarticulate gushing over Howey's Wool pentalogy, mostly because saying anything too concrete would rob you all of the IMMENSE pleasure of penetrating it's layers for yourself. I hope you are ready for a bit more of the same now that I'm reading the prequel pentalogy, First Shift.

These 5 books are supposed to cover how the environment and situation found in Wool came to be and cover a bit of history pertinent to certain characters in the later chapters of Wool. First Shift: Legacy, switches between two story lines, roughly 60 years apart. It took a few chapters for me to really get into the rhythm of the story and adjust my brain into a near future (2049) rather than the more distant and alien future that Wool presents, but then I was very intrigued by the way that the story developed.

There was some criticism in several Amazon reviews that the development of the plans (which I won't divulge here, since you are most definitely going to read this book, right?) was too easy, that government red tape and the nature of such a project would never have succeeded, especially in such secrecy, but that didn't bother me. Yes, it takes some suspension of disbelief, but after reading Wool it wasn't a huge leap, it felt right. Maybe I'm more willing to believe this kind of situation because I spend so much time talking with people about what's happening to our food system right now that I know how companies and entities get around popular demand and even government consent to further their own agenda.

I'm rather looking forward to the next chapter, Second Shift: Order. There were some surprises at the end of First Shift- I thought I had the dynamics all figured out and then a few things turned out to be not as I expected which is nice. Keep you posted as I work my way slowly through them!

Rating: 3.5

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 3
Writing: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/153717#4130362 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
sooo good, but now I can't wait for Dust! ( )
  Jfurnee | Mar 17, 2014 |

Is contained in

For Tongjai and Andy Bell
Together Forever
Troy returned to the living and found himself inside of a tomb.

In 2007, the Center for Automation in Nanobiotech (CAN) outlined the hardware and software platform that would one day allow robots smaller than human cells to make medical diagnoses, conduct repairs, and even self-propagate. In the same year, the CBS network aired a story about the effects of propranolol on sufferers of extreme trauma. A simple pill, it had been discovered, could wipe out the memory of any traumatic event. At almost the same moment in humanity's broad history, mankind had discovered the means for bringing about its utter downfall. And the ability to forget it ever happened.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,835,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible