Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas

Suddenly You (edition 2001)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:MeijiBlack
Title:Suddenly You
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:READ/RED, Historical Romance, Lisa Kleypas, 2004, 2011

Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas

I reached half of chapter 4, the book is surprising... I usually like damsels in distress, and a brave hero who saves the day. But Amanda is a very unconventional character living in a world that a woman couldn't be independent alone, especially as a writer; Jack is not a hero coming to safe the lady, he is wicked, and could use anything to get what he wants. Ahhh, I love Lisa Kleypas!

But still, it is not my favorite Kleypas... The sexual scenes are amazing but there is something missing for me. Though I liked that the heroine is full-figured and 30, it gave a nice twist to the book. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I reached half of chapter 4, the book is surprising... I usually like damsels in distress, and a brave hero who saves the day. But Amanda is a very unconventional character living in a world that a woman couldn't be independent alone, especially as a writer; Jack is not a hero coming to safe the lady, he is wicked, and could use anything to get what he wants. Ahhh, I love Lisa Kleypas.

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Startlingly original opening, with successful novelist Amanda Briars deciding to celebrate her thirtieth birthday by hiring a high-class male prostitute and losing her virginity. The charming and seductive man who turns up on her doorstep is not who he seems, and too much of a gentleman to take advantage of Amanda's misunderstanding. A few pages later Amanda discovers, to her mortification, that the birthday treat is Jack Devlin, a wildly successful and immensely rich publisher who has just acquired the rights to Amanda's first book.

The two are attracted to each other: Jack to Amanda's beauty and intellect, and Amanda to Jack's kindness and sexual expertise.

Once Amanda has lost her virginity and inhibitions, the back story is put on hold for a series of graphically described sexual encounters. After the fourth or fifth I began to lose interest in the book and eventually gave up. Perhaps the balance is restored later on in the book, but in the part I read, the sex:story ratio places [b:Suddenly You|161910|Suddenly You|Lisa Kleypas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1298455811s/161910.jpg|1823794] firmly in the 'erotica' rather than the 'romance' category.

Amazon gives this book a Sensuality Rating of 8, so I should have been warned. Looking back, however, it wasn't the erotic content of the book that turned me off (I've read, enjoyed and reviewed dozens of books in that genre), but the disappointment of the switch from tantalizingly original beginning to run-of-the-mill erotic romance.

Didn't finish, so no rating.
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Characters and premise were decently interesting. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I liked this mature, independent woman. And I like the dark, handsome not-a-gentleman hero who wasn't afraid of a smart woman. Lots o' sexytimes in this one. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tanner, JillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garcia, DanielTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

She was unmarried, untouched and almost thirty, but novelist Amanda Briars wasn't about to greet her next birthday without making love to a man. When he appeared at her door, she believed he was her gift to herself, hired for one night of passion. Unforgettably handsome, irresistibly virile, he tempted her in ways she never thought possible...but something stopped him from completely fulfilling her dream.

Jack Devlin's determination to possess Amanda became greater when she discovered his true identity. But gently-bred Amanda craved respectability more than she admitted, while Jack, the cast-off son of a nobleman and London's most notorious businessman, refused to live by society's rules. Yet when fate conspired for them to marry, their worlds collided with a passionate force neither had expected...but both soon craved.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380802325, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: London 1836

Sensuality: 8

Successful novelist Amanda Briars buys herself a scandalous present to celebrate her 30th birthday. Of gentle birth, unwed, and still a virgin, she contracts with a well-known madam to deliver a lover to her home. When handsome publisher Jack Devlin knocks on her door, it doesn't take him long to figure out that Amanda thinks he's someone else entirely. Intrigued, he stops just short of taking the lady's virginity, for he has other plans for the talented writer.

When she discovers Jack's true identity at a gathering of writers and publishers, Amanda is first angry, then fascinated, as he is a powerful force in the London publishing industry. Jack is determined to court Amanda not only to publish her novels, but also to lure her into his bed, and it isn't long before the two are deeply involved. But their path to happiness is strewn with stumbling blocks: Jack has a past that haunts him, while Amanda's family would be hurt by a scandalous liaison.

Suddenly You is a lush, deeply romantic tale of two free spirits who learn that they are, after all, susceptible to the binding ties of love. The setting provides readers with a different view of London society--the lives of affluent writers and artists rather than the world of the nobility--and a fascinating look into the publishing industry in 1800s London. Once again, Kleypas has delivered a well-written, sensual novel that's sure to hit the bestseller lists. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:37 -0400)

With her thirtieth birthday around the corner, unmarried novelist Amanda Briars is determined to finally make love to a man and finds herself drawn to the seductive Jack Devlin, London's most notorious businessman and the cast-off son of a British aristocrat.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible