Welcome by John Melmoth

by John Melmoth

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bydeanfetzer

No tags.

Largely set in the broads of Norfolk, this sort of coming-of-age tale is centred around Nick, a twelve year old boy sent off to spend the summer holiday with his Dad’s sister Dina. Which would be fine, but he doesn’t remember ever meeting her.

Feeling abandoned by his parents, who are off to Hollywood as part of his Dad’s work, Nick isn’t sure how he’s going to get along with his Aunt. I don’t think I’ll spoil anything by saying he settles in pretty well and soon makes friends his own age, as well.

John has done a great job of scene-setting and the locations are obviously somewhere he’s spent time with his own family, giving a real flavour of the area and the local inhabitants. I have to say the story pulled me along - not that I was reluctant to read it or anything - and I did want to find out what happened to this almost teenage boy in a strange place with even stranger companions.

If you like stories about growing up and the travails of that period, this is likely to tickle your fancy. Or even if you don’t. I think he’s done a great job telling his story and I think his hints at a sequel are tempting.

I couldn’t put it down! ( )
  deanfetzer | Apr 19, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,386,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible