A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish…

A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series (edition 2012)

by Cindy Woodsmall

Title:A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
Authors:Cindy Woodsmall
Info:WaterBrook Press (2012), Paperback, 352 pages

A Season for Tending by Cindy Woodsmall

When I started reading this book, I wasn’t sure I liked it. Reading the synopsis on the back, I figured I would love it. It sounded like my kind of story but . . .

I figured it for another book written by someone who was trying to make us believe that the Amish talk and act about the same as we do.

I’m still reserving judgement on some of those opinions but I no longer care whether that is true or not of this book because…

Any irritation I may have felt initially was washed away by the flood of emotions that came with reading this wonderful story.

THIS is a book EVERYONE should read!

The characters will pull you right into their little world. The descriptions show the community so clearly, you expect to look up and see it all around you. And the story . . . well, the story is exactly what I first thought. It is right up my alley.

Aside from being a subject I hold very near and dear to my heart, Cindy Woodsmall weaves a story masterfully -of a young woman who finally begins to discover who she really is and how she is meant to interact with those around her.

It’s a beautiful story of dealing with adversity, making the best of the life you have, and learning to accept yourself the way you are (or starting to anyway… I hope she manages to do that in the 2nd and 3rd novels)

I have already started the next novel in this series and I can’t wait to see where it takes me.

Amish fiction is a fairly new obsession for me and I am thrilled to have discovered this particular series! I think you will be too! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Cindy has hit the ball out of the orchard with this book. This is the first in a new Amish Vines and Orchards Series.
You will come to care for these characters and will be sad when this book is done and the second one is not released yet.
Rhonda, who has a 'gift' for sensing when bad things are going to happen decides it is easier to be by herself than with others. That is not to be when she finds Leah sleeping in her garden.
Samuel King, has a struggling apple orchard after meeting Rhonda and seeing her amazing garden, he asks for help.
What happens? You wil have to read the book to find out.
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Cindy Woodsmall is writing an Amish series called Amish Vines and Orchards. I have just finished reading the first book of the series, “A Season for Tending”, and I cannot wait until the next books of the series are published. I really enjoy Amish stories and lore, and I must say that this book is one of my favorites so far. I was so intrigued by the different storylines running through the book that I was loathe putting this book down, and yet wanted to extend my reading time in order to savor every word and not be done with the book. I thought the multiple stories intertwined were written so seamlessly that I hardly knew when I passed from one to the other.

The story begins with Rhoda Byer tending her garden of herbs and berries. She has her own business and cans the fruits of her labors to sell at various outlets. She is blessed (or cursed) with the ability to foresee disasters, but not in time to avert them. She is haunted by the spirit of her dead sister, whose death she blames on herself. Other people in the community pick up on this gift and think that she is a witch or at least that she touches the occult with her various teas and ointments prepared from her herb garden. This brings many sorrows her way and repercussions from the most ignorant in the community of the Amish and Englishers.

Meanwhile, Samuel King and his brothers Jacob and Eli tend the King Apple Orchards. Each brother is in charge of a third of the orchard. When a tragic mistake threatens the future of the King Orchards, Samuel looks for ways to salvage what they can and carry on as before. Rhoda has met the family after she helps their sister Leah during her Rumschpringe. They admire Rhoda for her business acumen and her way with growing things. They seek to form an alliance between her and their business. While planning and discussing the viability of the merger, all sorts of happenings occur to family members from both the Kings and the Bylers.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I give it five stars and will keep this book in my library. I received a free print copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher, WaterBrook Press. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can read this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-4G. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cindy Woodsmall's first book in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series presents a unique story of Amish life and love, unusual in the vast universe of Amish fiction. She weaves the tale of a headstrong, independent misfit in the Amish community who just might have found her place in the world. Woodsmall manages to avoid the schmaltziness of many Amish fiction books, and I look forward to the next installment in this series. ( )
  curls_99 | Oct 10, 2013 |
In memory of Raymond Woodsmall Sr. (1897-1977) and my father-in-law, Raymond Woodsmall Jr. (1922-2011) and dedicated to Uncle Jack Woodsmall
These men are the original apple orchard overseers
It's time . . .
Emma's voice rose from the past, encircling Rhoda and bringing a wave of guilt. Unyielding, unforgiving guilt.

Rhoda Byler's gift with plants leads to the enmity of a young man in her Old Order Amish community, but when she meets Samuel King, whose orchard is struggling, he suggests that they can solve each other's problems.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Season for Tending by Cindy Woodsmall was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,915,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible