A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish…

A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series (edition 2012)

by Cindy Woodsmall

8119148,805 (4.38)4
Member:wearylibrarian
Title:A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
Authors:Cindy Woodsmall
Info:WaterBrook Press (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Season for Tending: Book One in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series by Cindy Woodsmall

Cindy has hit the ball out of the orchard with this book. This is the first in a new Amish Vines and Orchards Series.
You will come to care for these characters and will be sad when this book is done and the second one is not released yet.
Rhonda, who has a 'gift' for sensing when bad things are going to happen decides it is easier to be by herself than with others. That is not to be when she finds Leah sleeping in her garden.
Samuel King, has a struggling apple orchard after meeting Rhonda and seeing her amazing garden, he asks for help.
What happens? You wil have to read the book to find out.
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
Cindy Woodsmall is writing an Amish series called Amish Vines and Orchards. I have just finished reading the first book of the series, “A Season for Tending”, and I cannot wait until the next books of the series are published. I really enjoy Amish stories and lore, and I must say that this book is one of my favorites so far. I was so intrigued by the different storylines running through the book that I was loathe putting this book down, and yet wanted to extend my reading time in order to savor every word and not be done with the book. I thought the multiple stories intertwined were written so seamlessly that I hardly knew when I passed from one to the other.

The story begins with Rhoda Byer tending her garden of herbs and berries. She has her own business and cans the fruits of her labors to sell at various outlets. She is blessed (or cursed) with the ability to foresee disasters, but not in time to avert them. She is haunted by the spirit of her dead sister, whose death she blames on herself. Other people in the community pick up on this gift and think that she is a witch or at least that she touches the occult with her various teas and ointments prepared from her herb garden. This brings many sorrows her way and repercussions from the most ignorant in the community of the Amish and Englishers.

Meanwhile, Samuel King and his brothers Jacob and Eli tend the King Apple Orchards. Each brother is in charge of a third of the orchard. When a tragic mistake threatens the future of the King Orchards, Samuel looks for ways to salvage what they can and carry on as before. Rhoda has met the family after she helps their sister Leah during her Rumschpringe. They admire Rhoda for her business acumen and her way with growing things. They seek to form an alliance between her and their business. While planning and discussing the viability of the merger, all sorts of happenings occur to family members from both the Kings and the Bylers.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I give it five stars and will keep this book in my library. I received a free print copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher, WaterBrook Press. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can read this review on my blog at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-4G. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cindy Woodsmall's first book in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series presents a unique story of Amish life and love, unusual in the vast universe of Amish fiction. She weaves the tale of a headstrong, independent misfit in the Amish community who just might have found her place in the world. Woodsmall manages to avoid the schmaltziness of many Amish fiction books, and I look forward to the next installment in this series. ( )
  curls_99 | Oct 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Season for Tending
Cindy Smallwood

Book Summary: In a community where conformity flourishes, seeds of Rhoda's odd behavior were planted long ago. Can she cultivate her relationships with the same care and tenderness that she gives her beloved garden? Old Order Amish Rhoda Byler's unusual gift and her remarkable abilities to grow herbs and berries have caused many to think her odd. As rumors mount that Rhoda's "gift" is a detriment to the community, she chooses isolation, spending her time in her fruit garden and on her thriving canning business.
Miles away in Harvest Mills, Samuel King struggles to keep his family's apple orchard profitable. As the eldest son, Samuel farms with his brothers, the irrepressible Jacob and brash Eli, while his longtime girlfriend Catherine remains hopeful that Samuel will marry her when he feels financially stable.
Meanwhile, Samuel's younger sister Leah is testing all the boundaries during her rumschpringe, and finds herself far from home in Rhoda's garden after a night of partying gone badly. But Leah's poor choices serve as a bridge between Rhoda and the King family when a tragic mistake in the orchard leaves Samuel searching for solutions.
Rhoda's expertise in canning could be the answer, but she struggles with guilt over the tragic death of her sister and doesn't trust herself outside her garden walls. As the lines between business, love, and family begin to blur, can Rhoda finally open up to a new life? And what effect will this odd, amazing woman have on the entire King family?

Review: I really like Cindy Smallwood’s writing style. While this book took me a little while to get into it was worth the effort. Once I got into the flow of it I was hooked! The characters were fresh and completely different from anything I have read by her. This was a well thought out series and I look forward to the next two. This story made me laugh, cry and realize that Rhoda was truly a fresh face for Amish readers. The Kings were fun and lively. While problems seem to plague all of them Rhoda, Landon and the Kings are realistic and fun. I knew what was coming at the end and I was still hanging on the edge of my seat when the events finally came about. Poor Rhoda really needed the Kings and they needed her. Her Daed was fantastic and truly a great addition to the entire story. I want to see more of him. There are so many different things going on at once that I wished I could read faster. I needed time to soak up everything too!
I would like to thank Edelweiss, Library Thing and Waterbrook Press for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Aug 16, 2013 |
Woodsmall fans will look forward to the continuation of this new series "Amish Vines and Orchards" as young Amish entrepreneur Rhoda Byler joins with the King family in a new venture that will take them from their roots in the Amish country of Pennsylvania up to a new home in Maine.

I found the book interesting, but tedious at times, and somewhat less compelling than the first series I read, "Sisters of the Quilt." ( )
  SherylHendrix | May 20, 2013 |
In memory of Raymond Woodsmall Sr. (1897-1977) and my father-in-law, Raymond Woodsmall Jr. (1922-2011) and dedicated to Uncle Jack Woodsmall
These men are the original apple orchard overseers
It's time . . .
Emma's voice rose from the past, encircling Rhoda and bringing a wave of guilt. Unyielding, unforgiving guilt.

Rhoda Byler's gift with plants leads to the enmity of a young man in her Old Order Amish community, but when she meets Samuel King, whose orchard is struggling, he suggests that they can solve each other's problems.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Season for Tending by Cindy Woodsmall was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible