I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern

I Suck at Girls (2012)

by Justin Halpern

This is Justin Halpern's follow-up to his hilarious Sh*t My Dad Says. While not as funny, I Suck at Girls does have its moments. Dad is in rare form, with such pithy observations as "you look like a penguin with AIDS," when his son goes to his senior prom wearing a two-sizes-too-large tuxedo.

Halpern gives us a look at his efforts to get somewhere with girls - an endeavor he apparently did really suck at. He also shares stories about growing up in America - teenage angst, getting a driver's license, finding a job, going to college, and all the other traditional rites of passage kids have to go through.

The book is very amusing, though not always laugh-out-loud funny. It does have its moments. ( )
  jpporter | Sep 18, 2015 |
There are parts of this book that are screamingly funny, other parts that are howlingly hilarioius, and yet other parts where I got looks from my fellow commuters for my guffaws. I know why I relate. I sucked at girls and was a huge dorkwad myself (still am, but I'm married and the geeks have inherited the earth). It is a pleasure to discover this guy at the beginning of his career, and to keep pace with him. I honestly can't wait to see what he comes up with next. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
this guy's father is a total crack up. i love reading what he says. ( )
  jodiesohl | May 6, 2015 |
It really was very funny. No way to know how much is exaggeration and how much is real, but I laughed out loud all the way through.
  FKarr | Dec 16, 2014 |
When Mr. Halpern decides to propose to his current girlfriend he asks the opinion of his dad. The old man says “Just take a day to think about it”:

“I took a day and I sat and thought about all the things I had learned about myself, and about women, up to that point in my life. Just sat and thought. I may have smoked marijuana as well. Anyway, at the end of the day, I took stock of everything I’d gone through in my head, and I asked myself if I still wanted to propose to your mother. And I did. So that’s what I humbly suggest you do, unless you think you’re somehow smarter than I am, which considering you share my genetics, is unlikely”

And so he does. He takes a day and think about the wonder years and tells us all about it in a witty and funny way.

Complete review at http://littlesbooks.com/suck-girls-justin-halpern/ ( )
  johasz | Jun 21, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062113372, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, May 2012: Sh*t My Dad Says was a runaway bestseller and in his sophomore effort, I Suck at Girls, Justin Halpern proves he’s not just a one hit wonder. Halpern’s sarcastic, utterly lovable dad once again shares his pearls of wisdom--including the best advice I’ve seen on the subject of getting married--but it’s Justin himself who takes center stage this time. Relationships provide great comedic material and Halpern makes the most of his experiences coming of age amidst the opposite sex. From his first crush (yes, he made her cry) to searching for his wild side on a booze-fueled trip to Ibiza, to meeting the girl of his dreams and asking her to stand guard at the bathroom door (no drugs, just a bad BK chicken griller)--Halpern puts it all out there and, as his dad might say, I laughed my ass off. --Seira Wilson

Childhood Photos of Justin Halpern, author of I Suck at Girls

My mom pulled me out of line to take this, by saying "Justy, you're so cute, lemme see your little face."
My little league all-stars jersey. That is the pose of a confident young man.
Senior year of high school. Finally put on some weight. Just starting to get a receding hairline. Well played, God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Presents a humorous collection of stories about the author's relationships with the opposite sex told chronologically, from his first kiss to getting engaged.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible