The Prophet by Michael Koryta

The Prophet (edition 2012)

by Michael Koryta

Member:ReshiBec
Title:The Prophet
Authors:Michael Koryta
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read, library, 2012

The Prophet by Michael Koryta (Author)

Great storyline in this book and the character development is amazing. The downside is: there is too much football. The story did not need the pages and pages and pages of football to be a good story. In fact, it would have been better had much of it been eliminated or shortened up. This will not keep me from reading more of Koryta, but I must say, this one was not my favorite. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Aug 22, 2016 |
The past has come back to haunt the Austin brothers, one a high school football coach and the other a private detective. Their 16-year old sister was murdered twenty years ago and now another high school girl has been killed. Finding the killer will be one way of redeeming one brother of the death of their sister, but will the price be too much for the other. Overall this was a very good read even if it did have a bit too much football. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Well, I liked this book, but I thought it could have been much shorter. The author spent a great deal of time with character background and development, and not enough time on action and suspense. Two brothers face two murders twenty-two years apart, and I never really felt scared or nervous for either of them. I think more words could have been thrown the evil doers way. But, there is a decent plot twist at the end, and the cover is pretty clever! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Brothers Adam and Kent Austin have been estranged for years. When they were teenagers Adam was to drive his younger sister,Marie, home from school but instead he left her to walk home alone so that he might spend the afternoon with his girlfriend. Marie never made it home and her body was found brutally murdered. Although the Austin family never accused Adam of being at fault he placed enough guilt on himself that it made it difficult for Adam to have any meaningful relationships especially with his younger brother. Now the two are grown men; Adam is a bail bondsman and Kent is the coach of the local high school football team. The quarterback's girlfriend approaches Adam to seek his help in finding her father who has recently been released from prison. Adam, shocked that the young girl was referred to him by none other than Kent, makes a few inquiries and gives the girl the address. The young woman arrives at the house but is never seen alive again. Her murder brings back horrific memories for the Austin brothers, particularly Adam. The sinister killer involves Adam and Kent in a dangerous game of cat and mouse and Adam vows that he will bring justice to this young woman.

I enjoyed the mystery which was full of twists and red herrings but there was too much football, in my opinion. I would probably read another by this author in the future.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Koryta uses a talented football team as a backdrop for a murder mystery that describes how a death in the family can affect the family. About half way through, we thought that the killer had been corralled, but nope! Read on. The book delves into brotherly relationships and football. The cast is small and the brothers are pretty well developed. Others, including the wives are not. Fun read, think I'll have another. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 6, 2015 |

Koryta, MichaelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witte, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The town feels like home immediately, and he credits the leaves.

Two brothers in a small Midwestern town--one the high school's beloved football coach on the verge of a state championship and the other one scraping by as a bail bondsman--have been at odds since their sister was abducted and murdered when they were teenagers. Now a new killing with ties to each of them forces a painful and adversarial reunion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316122610, Hardcover)

Dean Koontz interviews Michael Koryta

DEAN: Your new novel, THE PROPHET, is a crime novel, a suspense novel, but also a good novel about brothers and family relationships. I know you a little, and I'm 99% sure that you weren't cloned, that you have a family, but I don't know about siblings. You write so well about brotherly relationships that I wonder--do you have any? And football--playing it, coaching it--serves both as a background and as a solid metaphor for the value of traditions. Did you play football in school? Have you coached any?

MICHAEL: I was a natural athlete. Played every sport, and the responses from my coaches were unanimous and emphatic. Whether it was a basketball or football or baseball bat or golf club in my hands, they’d say, “Son, I think you should be a writer.” It’s good to have consensus. So, no, never played football beyond pick-up games, I bruise too easily and lack fundamental coordination, but I was hopefully able to bring some authenticity to the book due to the tremendous level of help and access I received from Scott Bless, Tyler Abel, and the rest of the Bloomington High School North coaching staff. I spent a full year with them in coaching meetings, practice fields, and on the sidelines, and it was tremendous and fascinating. The bad news for them is I’m hooked now and currently drawing up plays. If they’ll just give me a chance… As for brothers, I have none. Just friends who feel like brothers to me, in the good ways and the infuriating. And I have a sister who brings only the positive side.

DEAN: You quickly built a reputation for crime/suspense, and then went for a touch of the supernatural in SO COLD THE RIVER, THE CYPRESS HOUSE, and THE RIDGE. Did your agent freak out? Many years ago, when I first began ricocheting from genre to genre, I received more than a few heartfelt lectures about how I was destroying my career. Now THE PROPHET has no supernatural edge. What is it with you, pal? Easily bored? Creatively restless? Enjoy walking a cliff's edge? Multiple personality?

MICHAEL: Dean, please stop answering the questions before I can. Yes, yes, yes, and, certainly, yes to those last four. As for the genre ricocheting, I had a supportive agent. I lost a publisher, but that’ll happen, and somehow I fell into the hands of Michael Pietsch at Little, Brown, who I think is one of the all-time-great editors. Can’t say enough about the team over there. They’ve indulged my flights of fancy and I know it isn’t easy and I’ve heard plenty of lectures from other parties about the career suicide I’m cheerfully carrying out, but I’ll always say the same thing here: you’ve got to tell the story that wants to be told. That’s the joy of it, the privilege of it, and, I’d argue, the responsibility of it. To write the best story you can. That won’t always fit the same tidy box. And to try and do so seems far too close to actual work. I’m not cut out for actual work.

DEAN: When researching THE RIDGE, you became interested in big-cat rescue--lions, tigers, nothing as safe as your common tabby. Now you participate in rescues. In a way, your fiction entered your life and became part of it. The same has happened to me with Canine Companions for Independence and other things that I wrote about and subsequently became involved with. Tell us why big-cat rescue so appeals to you. And are there other examples of research/writing changing your life?

MICHAEL: The experience of working with the Exotic Feline Rescue Center is one of the truly special things in my life. I couldn’t imagine not having those cats and those people in my life at this point. It’s an amazing mission and deserving of support and, as you did with Canine Companions, I simply fell in love.

I’d drop anything to go on a big-cat rescue, and will continue to do so as long as they’ll have me. Research is forever changing my life and bringing new interests and new people into it, and that’s one of the great privileges of this craft, the chance to visit so many different worlds.

DEAN: You're young. From my perspective, you're a puppy! Yet you've already published nine substantial novels and are at work on number ten. In your book-jacket photos, you often look intense, driven. In person, you're not like that; you're relaxed and easy-going. Which is the real Michael Koryta? Or are they both real – professionally driven but personally at ease? Given the commitment that's required to write well, do you find it difficult to strike a right balance between writing and downtime?

MICHAEL: I simply cannot take a good picture. If I smile for a photograph, I look evil. Possessed. Since I don’t want to reveal this truth, I try to look brooding, haunted by remarkable stories and gorgeous prose. Now, they’re not my stories and prose, of course, but no one need know that truth, either. Professionally driven? Absolutely. It’s a privilege to have the chance and I want to do it well. Better than well. I’m not anywhere as close as I’d like to be. Personally at ease? Depends on the day. Striking the right balance isn’t terribly hard, or hasn’t been so far. The only real cost to all this is sleep. I’ve been a chronic insomniac since I began writing seriously and I’ve given up on that ever changing.

DEAN: You're writing a novel about wilderness-survival training, so you went to a survival school. Presumably you survived. I went to Las Vegas so I could write about it, and I have drunk numerous California Cabernet Sauvignons so I could write about them. But I have my limits. Do you? Is there anything you wouldn't do yourself – aside from commit a crime – so you could better write about it? At survival school, did you have to eat grubs or rodents?

MICHAEL: I shouldn’t have committed the crimes? Oops! I do love field research, though. That traces back to my PI days and reporter days, but I’d much rather step into the world I’m writing about than Google it. You simply can’t achieve the same level of understanding if you go from the outside in. You’ll find no gold if you don’t pan for it, right? That sounds like a fortune cookie found at a bad steakhouse. Such is my gift with words.

(continued)

>Read the full interview

>Read Michael's interview with Dean

>Read a "How I Wrote It" Q&A with Michael on the Amazon books blog

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

Two brothers, estranged since their sister's abduction and murder when they were teens, are forced into a reunion through a new killing in their small Midwestern town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible