October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard…

October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard

by Lesléa Newman

I have never listened to a poetic narrative, but this was just beautiful, despite the tragedy behind it. I think I actually got more out of the poems hearing them then if I would have read them.
  bookwyrmm | Aug 12, 2015 |
A gorgeous book filled with poems from the point of view of everything from Matthew's cat, the fence, the deer, the stars above him, and more. It hurt my heart, but reading these beautiful words also healed me. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Beautiful and affecting, Leslea Newman's poetic elegy to Matthew Shepard is a must-have for school and teen libraries. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Apr 3, 2015 |
On October 6, 1998, Matthew Shepard was pistol whipped in the head with a .357 Magnum, beaten, tied to a fence, and left for dead in 30 degree weather by two men who hated gays. Police reports stated the only surface on his body not covered with blood were the tear tracks on his face.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/october-mourning-a-song-for-m... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
5Q 4P (my VOYA ratings). Fourteen years after the death, no, the murder, of Matthew Shepard, Lesleá Newman recalls to mind, and shares with others for the first time, that night that his life was taken out of an act of violence due to hate and intolerance. Newman's poems, like "The Fence," "The Wind," and "The Stars," give the perspective, at times eerie and beautiful, of these elements that we think of as not having a perspective, but Newman gives them one. "October Mourning" paints life as fragile and beautiful, and of intolerance and hate as something that is alive and cruel. I gave this book a 5 for quality because I thought every poem was written with heart and perspective and it really created an internal reaction. I gave a 4 rating for popularity because I think it might take a little push for teens to pick up a book about a horrible incident and one that happened over a decade ago. ( )
  Crystalmiles | May 12, 2014 |

Lesléa Newmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beresford, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parks, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Traister, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A masterful poetic exploration of the impact of Matthew Shepard’s murder on the world.

On the night of October 6, 1998, a gay twenty-one-year-old college student named Matthew Shepard was lured from a Wyoming bar by two young men, savagely beaten, tied to a remote fence, and left to die. Gay Awareness Week was beginning at the University of Wyoming, and the keynote speaker was Lesléa Newman, discussing her book Heather Has Two Mommies. Shaken, the author addressed the large audience that gathered, but she remained haunted by Matthew’s murder. October Mourning, a novel in verse, is her deeply felt response to the events of that tragic day. Using her poetic imagination, the author creates fictitious monologues from various points of view, including the fence Matthew was tied to, the stars that watched over him, the deer that kept him company, and Matthew himself. More than a decade later, this stunning cycle of sixty-eight poems serves as an illumination for readers too young to remember, and as a powerful, enduring tribute to Matthew Shepard’s life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Relates, from various points of view, events from the night of October 6, 1998, when twenty-one-year-old Matthew Shepard, a gay college student, was lured out of a Wyoming bar, savagely beaten, tied to a fence, and left to die.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible