Burning Blue by Paul Griffin

Burning Blue (edition 2012)

by Paul Griffin

Member:MHSLibrary
Title:Burning Blue
Authors:Paul Griffin
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:fiction, Junior Library Guild, mystery, disfigurement, computer hackers

Burning Blue by Paul Griffin

Nicole was the most beautiful girl in her high school, and a beauty pageant contestant, until someone threw acid in her face. Within the span of seconds, Nicole’s life changed forever.

Read the rest of my review on my blog. Don't forget to follow my blog via email to get exciting news about the upcoming book giveaway. See blog for more details: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/burning-blue-paul-griffin/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Nicole Castro is by far the most beautiful girl in school, and enormously popular. Jay Nazarro, nicknamed Spaceman for his public seizures, is a quiet loner and computer hacker. After Nicole is disfigured when someone throws battery acid in her face, Jay is determined to figure out who did it because the police don't seem to be capable. Jay uses his impressive hacking skills to work his way through several suspects, and is surprised to find that Nicole is very down to earth and sympathetic to his siezures. A mystery that leads readers to question every character as a suspect, this novel will likely find a large audience. ( )
  TigerLMS | Dec 18, 2013 |
Reviewed by Janessa, Age 15 for Citybook Review
Nicole Castro is “that” girl in high school who has it all; beauty, wealth, and notoriety. What else could a girl like Nicole want and to what extent would she be willing to go to get it? ...read full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/05/burning-blue.html ( )
  crayolakym | May 11, 2013 |
The beginning of Burning Blue was a little rough for me. I really liked Jay as a narrator – he was interesting and I loved his voice - but the way he told the first events as if he were there was distracting. He starts off by saying "From what I heard..." then goes on to say students were drenching Nicole in water after the incident, what the exact words she said were etc. I'm glad we got a clear picture of that huge moment considering acid being thrown in Nicole's face is the jumpstart to Burning Blue but it didn't make logical sense to me and it put a wedge between Jay and I. To be honest it made me suspect that he attacked Nicole which might have been Griffin's intention. I also wasn't a fan of Jay's 'future narrating' either. To me it's like giving spoilers away, it does nothing for me in the sense of heightening the anticipation since I find it so annoying.

"I had the opportunity to see him in action—see him by proxy rather, but I’ll get to that, to him, later."

"I should have figured it out right there. Nicole’s secret. Looking back, maybe I knew."

I really enjoyed that the attacker was communicating through email and that Jay was an adept hacker. Despite my slight narrating misgiving when it came to suspecting Jay, I liked that he seemed to be piling evidence against himself to start with (tech savviness, borderline obsession with Nicole, black outs, etc). Definitely enough to make you wonder if Jay is a lying narrator... haven't had one of those in a long time.

I absolutely loved how Griffin flawed and built his characters. A lot of the time, especially in YA novels, I find myself put off by the more flawed characters because they're often harsh stereotypes (for example a goth girl who no one understands with stringy dyed hair, loads of piecing, combat boots etc.) or just generally obnoxious. Griffin amazed me with his ability to skirt those stereotypes and actually create unique, flawed, believable teens.

Nicole's journals provided wonderful insight into her mind. It was really interesting to see her from Jay's point of view and then get into her own mind. I'm actually not crazy about multi-point of view books when there's a mystery involved but choosing to show Nicole's thoughts via her diary entries kept me in Jay's presence while giving me Nicole as well. I really liked that.

I'll admit that I picked this up after seeing a few people label it as romance. I'm a huge sucker for YA (non-angst) romance. I'm not sure I would haven given Burning Blue that label but the between friendship and romance relationship shared between Jay and Nicole was immensity satisfying and beautiful to follow.

The mystery... I loved how Griffin ended Burning Blue. The mystery was wrapped up beautifully with the perfect culprit. I never expected it but it made so much sense and I couldn't have been happier with how it ended. I feel a little guilty saying that but as a mystery lover it was just so great.

- - -

For more reviews from me, please visit Bitten Books ( )
  asterravos | Feb 2, 2013 |
Burning Blue is part mystery, part thriller, and part heartwarming message of hope. It’s one of those books that you begin reading with a certain expectation, and then you’re completely surprised by how different it is. I expected Nicole to be a shallow, helpless kind of girl, but she isn’t. I expected the focus of the novel to be on Nicole’s recovery, but it wasn’t. I’m so glad Burning Blue wasn’t what I expected, because honestly, Paul Griffin came up with something way more interesting than I ever could have anticipated. ( )
  renkellym | Nov 9, 2012 |

How far would you go for love, beauty, and jealousy?

When Nicole Castro, the most beautiful girl in her wealthy New Jersey high school, is splashed with acid on the left side of her perfect face, the whole world takes notice. But quiet loner Jay Nazarro does more than that--he decides to find out who did it. Jay understands how it feels to be treated like a freak, and he also has a secret: He's a brilliant hacker. But the deeper he digs, the more danger he's in--and the more he falls for Nicole. Too bad everyone is turning into a suspect, including Nicole herself.

Award-winning author Paul Griffin has written a high-stakes, soulful mystery about the meaning--and dangers--of love and beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:25 -0400)

When beautiful, smart Nicole, disfigured by acid thrown in her face, and computer hacker Jay meet in the school psychologist's office, they become friends and Jay resolves to find her attacker.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,916,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible