3 Steps To Recovery by Dan J Farish

3 Steps To Recovery

by Dan J Farish

312,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added byoldguy24, DanFarish, plappen

Lighten Up by Dan Farish (DanFarish)
    DanFarish: Two fantastic "out there, yet not" books by one author. Both books are best described as brutally honest, gripping, and hard to put down.

This is the story of one person's journey from alcoholism to recovery and sobriety.

Dan was your average native of the Boston, MA area. Dad worked as a subway janitor, and seemed to come home angry every night. Taking it out on his family, Dad reached new levels in Mean, Rotten and Nasty. He was the person in the neighborhood who would loudly complain if the local kids were making too much noise, or if someone rode a loud mini-bike past the house. Mom was not much better. A number of times, she stuck her head in the oven, wanting to commit suicide. The rest of the time, she would take Dad's side against her children. Dan's older sister, who had no problem in standing up to Dad, packed a couple of suitcases, and practically ran out of the house the day she turned 18, never to look back.

During adolescence, Dan discovered the "joys" of alcohol and drugs. He would stay out all night nearly every night, drinking a case of beer daily. Soon, he was drinking all day, too. There were several smashed cars and run-ins with the law. Somehow, Dan graduated from high school, after which, he too left home. Marriage, and 2 children, soon followed. They moved to a small town in Tennessee, where they opened a pizza place. Their total lack of experience in running a restaurant was not important. For a couple of years, the place was thriving. Dan turned the restaurant into the local after-hours drinking establishment, which was not a good idea (he was still drinking heavily every day). He also upset the "wrong" people in town. After the restaurant failed, he decided to try again, in Atlanta. This time, Sue, his wife, wanted no part of the new restaurant. Still drinking heavily, this one failed pretty quickly. Dan finally realized that he had hit rock bottom, and agreed to rehab.

He though very little of the 12 Steps in Alcoholics Anonymous, and of group therapy. His attitude must have showed, because he was named Most Likely To Fail by his counselors and the rest of his group. He was also kicked out of the program with only three days left to completion. After much soul-searching and sleepless nights, he reduced the 12 Steps to only 3 Steps, and held on to those very tightly. Is he stiil an alcoholic, or did he kick his addiction? Did his vital organs shut down from all the beer he was drinking? Can the 3 Steps also work for any other addiction?

This is a very inspirational story. Farish is also a really good writer, who does not sugarcoat anything. The 12 Steps will not work for everyone; perhaps the 3 Steps will work. Anyone affected by alcoholism would do very well to read this book. It is very much worth the time. ( )
  plappen | Apr 20, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098358110X, Paperback)

2012 Literary Award for best Autobiography and Memoir. I suppose most people might have learned something after experiencing a brush with death. It should have served as a wake up call that my huge appetite for drugs and alcohol were out of control. But it didn't, not even after several more near-misses. By age 21, I'd managed to destroy four cars and my driver's license was revoked indefinitely. The last part of that sentence had something to do with smashing Dad's Ford Fairlane into a parked car while under the influence of barbiturates and alcohol. Most people would have learned something, but I wasn't like most people. I was young, angry, and an addict in the making. In fact, twenty more years would pass before I finally got the memo. This book is about my life story. I didn't want to write a book about myself, but couldn't think of another way to fill the pages of a book about beating addiction without including the events leading up to my own struggle with alcohol and drugs. Nor would I be able to share with you the life changing experience that cured a twenty-year addiction. That's right, cured. I'm not a recovering alcoholic. Most addiction professionals will tell you the opposite. They will swear up and down that no addict or alcoholic can ever be cured and will forever remain in a state of recovery. They will have you believe that every addict is always just one drink or pill away from total relapse and ruination. Addicts are simply far too fragile and helpless to ever hope to defeat our addiction, they assure us. Our only hope is through rehab, group therapy, and attending 12 Step meetings for the rest of our lives. While this approach might be helpful for some people - and I'm not saying it isn't - there is a simpler way to kick the habit, based on 3 Steps of A.A.'s 12 Step program, and that's what this book is about. But the 3 Steps approach to beating addiction doesn't apply only to alcoholics or drug addicts. The same three steps can be used to overcome any type of addiction, including food, sex, money, or internet addiction, to name a few. Stress is the number cause of relapse for most addicts. Nothing triggers the urge to swill booze or score drugs like a fight with your spouse, being laid off from work, or any number of stressful situations that come along in daily life. Although we can't avoid stress, we can learn to control the way we react to it. The solution is two-fold... simplifying and prioritizing. In the following pages, you will learn how to do just that, using 3 simple steps. Of course, I learned those 3 steps the hard way. My father always said I'd learn the hard way and he was right. I'm sharing some hard earned lessons with my fellow addicts so they won't have to follow my path. After spending more than half my life complicating nearly everything, and drinking myself into oblivion as a result, I learned to appreciate the simple life. Simple is good. I hate long, boring book introductions and prefer to avoid using big words when a short and simple one will do just as well. Some writers seem to love both. I suspect some feel it's a way to impress others with their superior intellect, or maybe they think it's what you're expected to do as an author. You won't find much of either in this book. What you will find is a true account of the life of a former addict, how he became one, how he struggled through it, and how he was cured - written in plain English. And, oh yeah - I promise it's not boring.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:27 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible