The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell

The Bone Bed (edition 2012)

by Patricia Cornwell

Member:soozif
Title:The Bone Bed
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Info:Little, Brown (2012), Hardcover

The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
I have to agree with the review posted by Twink - Dec 9, 2012. To quote: "But....although I enjoy personal story lines in addition to the main plot, I quickly grew tired of listening to what seemed to be the same old, same old. Benton and Kay are having relationship problems, Lucy is being secretive, Kay's staff are betraying her, Marino is in trouble again. Sound familiar? Cornwell fills out the story with endless detail - which refrigerator is the parmigiana in - number one or two? "I check my oversized titanium watch on its rubber strap and reach for my coffee—black, no sweetener—as distant footsteps sound in the corridor of my bullet-shaped building on the eastern border of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s campus. It isn’t light out yet this third Monday of October." First lines of chapter one."

Seems like Patricia is padding out the book trivial details and too much technical stuff. Her earlier works were great, but now I fear she is becoming lazy. ( )
  CarolBurnett | Jan 18, 2015 |
Kay Scarpetta as forensic examiner becomes involved with the deaths of three similar women; all "of a certain age", educated, and without any obvious reason why they should be killed. Set in the harbor of Boston where they pull one unknown woman from the deeps, things get complicated when the woman's body is tangled with a rare turtle. Typical Scarpetta crime novel. ( )
  maryreinert | Jan 12, 2015 |
Story OK but don't like Cornwell's writing style since she changed it to first person. Very name- and label-conscious; too impressed with the wealthy. Won't read her again. Also, most of the book centered on a 2-day period, and the end seemed too rushed and over too quick. ( )
  cindyb29 | Jan 12, 2015 |
I liked the book. It was interesting and kept me in it as I listened while driving I-10. Scarpetta is becoming more human with attendant foibles. The technical expertise throughout the book is amazing and indicated much author research. Sometimes, the detail is excruciating. Also, I think it's a bit unbelievable that Scarpetta and hubby don't share case secrets, even after sex...that complicated solving the crime. The bad guy wasn't even introduced until about an hour to go. This is not the first time Cornwell has done this to me, so next time I'll just float around for the first 7/8 of the book and not try to guess whodunit. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 7, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Staci - you make it possible and fun.

A woman has vanished while digging a dinosaur bone bed in the remote wilderness of Canada. Somehow, the only evidence has made its way to the inbox of Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta, over two thousand miles away in Boston. She has no idea why. But as events unfold with alarming speed, Scarpetta begins to suspect that the paleontologist’s disappearance is connected to a series of crimes much closer to home: a gruesome murder, inexplicable tortures, and trace evidence from the last living creatures of the dinosaur age.

When she turns to those around her, Scarpetta finds that the danger and suspicion have penetrated even her closest circles. Her niece Lucy speaks in riddles. Her lead investigator, Pete Marino, and FBI forensic psychologist and husband, Benton Wesley, have secrets of their own. Feeling alone and betrayed, Scarpetta is tempted by someone from her past as she tracks a killer both cunning and cruel.

This is Kay Scarpetta as you have never seen her before. The Bone Bed is a must read for any fan of this series, or an ideal starting point for new readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:22 -0400)

In Alberta, Canada, an eminent paleontologist disappears from a dinosaur dig site, and at the Cambridge Forensic Center, Kay Scarpetta receives a grisly communication that gives her a dreadful reason to suspect this may become her next case. Then, with shocking speed, events begin to unfold. A body recovered from Boston Harbor reveals bizarre trace evidence hinting of a link to other unsolved cases that seem to have nothing in common. Who is behind all this? And whom can Scarpetta trust? Her lead investigator, Pete Marino, and FBI agent husband, Benton Wesley, are both unhappy with her because of personnel changes at the CFC, and her niece Lucy has become even more secretive than usual. Scarpetta fears she just may be on her own this time--against an enormously powerful and cunning enemy who seems impossible to defeat.--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,502,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible