The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell

The Bone Bed (edition 2012)

by Patricia Cornwell

515None19,577 (3.32)12
Member:soozif
Title:The Bone Bed
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Info:Little, Brown (2012), Hardcover

The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Truly enjoyed this one! As usual, you didn't disappoint ( )
  Tish.Delanoy | Mar 27, 2014 |
Book Description
Release date: September 3, 2013 | Series: A Scarpetta Novel (Book 20)

But as events unfold with alarming speed, Scarpetta begins to suspect that the paleontologist’s disappearance is connected to a series of crimes much closer to home: a gruesome murder, inexplicable tortures, and trace evidence from the last living creatures of the dinosaur age.

When she turns to those around her, Scarpetta finds that the danger and suspicion have penetrated even her closest circles. Her niece Lucy speaks in riddles. Her lead investigator, Pete Marino, and FBI forensic psychologist and husband, Benton Wesley, have secrets of their own. Feeling alone and betrayed, Scarpetta is tempted by someone from her past as she tracks a killer both cunning and cruel. ( )
  Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 28, 2013 |
It has been a while since I read a Scarpetta novel so it took
me several chapters to get up to speed on the characters. This was a bit more convoluted than I remember. The red herring was enough to fool me. I was rooting for the wrong "bad guy" for most of the book. I'm still not sure I know who the bad guy was - do I remember him at all???? A good, mystery. ( )
  beckyhaase | Feb 11, 2013 |
I'm not sure why I keep buying her books. I feel that they no longer are as gripping as they used to be. This one seems to wander round and about for some time and it is only toward the end that it really grips you. Why is it called 'The Bone Bed'? This is only a small part of the story, or perhaps I was missing something.
I must admit I was surprised at who the guilty person was though.
A pleasant read but no where near as exciting as they used to be. ( )
  cookiemo | Feb 1, 2013 |
When Patricia Cornwell first started writing, I loved her books featuring forensic pathologist Kay Scarpetta. But, slowly but surely the love affair ended and I stopped following this series. Well, recently I needed something to listen to, so I decided, what the heck, I'll give her another shot. So I picked up her latest book - The Bone Bed.

Scarpetta is now the medical examiner for the state of Massachusetts. Her niece Lucy, a talented tech wizard and investigator Pete Marino also work with/for her. Kay's husband Benton, an FBI profiler, also often works with Kay.

Scarpetta receives an email which documents a crime committed against an American paleontologist working in Alberta and now missing. Lucy finds evidence that the clip may be connected to a murder on U.S. soil. So, a good premise and I was intrigued.

But....although I enjoy personal story lines in addition to the main plot, I quickly grew tired of listening to what seemed to be the same old, same old. Benton and Kay are having relationship problems, Lucy is being secretive, Kay's staff are betraying her, Marino is in trouble again. Sound familiar? Cornwell fills out the story with endless detail - which refrigerator is the parmigiana in - number one or two? "I check my oversized titanium watch on its rubber strap and reach for my coffee—black, no sweetener—as distant footsteps sound in the corridor of my bullet-shaped building on the eastern border of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s campus. It isn’t light out yet this third Monday of October." First lines of chapter one.

The reader was Kate Reading. I have to admit she's not one of my favourite narrators. I find her habit of dwelling on final consonants and drawing out words slightly annoying. But her tone does seem to fit the character of Kay, who seems to see herself as somewhat superior and whom I find supercilious.

The ending and the 'culprit' were such a letdown. And confirmed why I will be saying goodbye again to Patricia Cornwell. If you're so inclined - read an excerpt of The Bone Bed.

(The title The Bone Bed refers to the dinosaur bone deposits in Alberta, Canada. Although they are featured in the opening scene, they truly didn't have a lot to do with the story. It almost felt like Cornwell was copying Kathy Reich's penchant for using the word bone in many of her titles that also feature a forensic pathologist.) ( )
  Twink | Dec 9, 2012 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ligterink, YolandeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Staci - you make it possible and fun.

A woman has vanished while digging a dinosaur bone bed in the remote wilderness of Canada. Somehow, the only evidence has made its way to the inbox of Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta, over two thousand miles away in Boston. She has no idea why. But as events unfold with alarming speed, Scarpetta begins to suspect that the paleontologist’s disappearance is connected to a series of crimes much closer to home: a gruesome murder, inexplicable tortures, and trace evidence from the last living creatures of the dinosaur age.

This is Kay Scarpetta as you have never seen her before. The Bone Bed is a must read for any fan of this series, or an ideal starting point for new readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:16 -0400)

In Alberta, Canada, an eminent paleontologist disappears from a dinosaur dig site, and at the Cambridge Forensic Center, Kay Scarpetta receives a grisly communication that gives her a dreadful reason to suspect this may become her next case. Then, with shocking speed, events begin to unfold. A body recovered from Boston Harbor reveals bizarre trace evidence hinting of a link to other unsolved cases that seem to have nothing in common. Who is behind all this? And whom can Scarpetta trust? Her lead investigator, Pete Marino, and FBI agent husband, Benton Wesley, are both unhappy with her because of personnel changes at the CFC, and her niece Lucy has become even more secretive than usual. Scarpetta fears she just may be on her own this time--against an enormously powerful and cunning enemy who seems impossible to defeat.--Publisher.… (more)

448 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible