Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of the Easy (edition 2014)

by Ruta Sepetys (Author)

Member:Luna_Kai
Title:Out of the Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys (Author)
Info:Speak (2014), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys (Author)

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (102)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (106)
It is 1950 in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is the daughter of a brothel prostitute who works in the French Quarter. Josie Moraine has not lived with her mother since she was a little girl. Instead she lives in a room in a bookshop. Josie Moraine's mother is not much of a mother to Josie. The madam of the brothel, Willie, and Cokie, the cab driver, and other acquaintances have instead become like family to Josie. Josie, a very intelligent girl, wants out of the Big Easy. She believes she can make that happen by getting accepted into a college in Massachusetts. Many events including a mysterious death in the French Quarter begin to make her life very complicated and the dream of getting out to go to college seems to be slipping away from her.

The plot, setting, and characters in the book kept me reading. The character development was critical to the success of the plot and the historical period and setting offered something different than most YA novels. I really debated with myself as to a rating of 4 or 5 for this novel. If it were available, I would have given it a 4.5 rating. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
I’ve heard great things about Ruta Sepetys for the longest of times. She has really good story ideas and explores angles that I would never even think about. I never would have thought I needed to read a book about a girl who grew up surrounded by escorts and prostitutes eventually settling with her mother in a brothel in New Orleans. All in taking place in the 1950s. Josie is a girl full of dreams to break out of the future her mother may have set out for her to have some job relating to the brothel. Her dream is to be a scholar of some sort and live the life she wants.

Josie is surrounded by many people who love her and believe in her. This is such a beautiful story about a girl who realizes who is her true family and how to finally tell her mother no. I really did love this story but having read another Sepetys book around the same time this one actually pales in comparison to that other one. I did get bored at some point because once the murder mystery came back into play I quickly solved it and was eager to get back to the “everyday life” aspect of the book. This is still a book I would really recommend for reading. ( )
  Jessika.C | Oct 23, 2018 |
RGG: The best kind of historical fiction--character driven with the setting as a backdrop. A great read! Reading Interest: YA due to setting in a brothel.
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 4, 2018 |
  rgruberhighschool | Sep 4, 2018 |
The start was promising, but the rest of the book was simply okay. I like Ruta's other books a lot, but if I had to pick a least favorite, this would be it. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |

Sepetys, RutaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
--Sir Francis Bacon
My mother's a prostitute.

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ruta Sepetys's book Out of the Easy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible