Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Member:sophronia82
Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teen Fiction
Tags:teen fiction, historical fiction, New Orleans, murder, mystery, romance, family, friendship, prostitution, LGBTQ

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (83)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (87)
This was a fun book to read. It was written for the older teen market but adults will enjoy it just as much. The premise involves the child of a prostitute seeking to better her life through education and getting out of the big easy. I'm from the north and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone wanting to get out of New Orleans! Very enjoyable read. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
This book was a lesson to me that just because I loved an author's debut novel, I'm not guaranteed to feel the same about their second. I never connected to Josie. I found her lying and risk-taking annoying. She kept lying to save her mother even though she knew her mother didn't deserve it and the man she helped to murder deserved justice. She lied to both her potential love-interests. She lied to Willie, the woman who was helping her to get to better her life, even though Willie her self ran a whorehouse. I hated her stupidity in not telling Willie, quietly about the situation she found herself in, having to pay her mothers debt. I loathed the way that she resented her mother and felt she was better than her, yet came so close to becoming a prostitute herself.

Given Josie's love of books, you would think I would have loved her because of the shared interest, but she was just so stupid and frustrating that I couldn't even enjoy the interesting plot and excellent writing. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
I was disappointed with this book. The story held my interest, but it struck me that the author chose to set her story in such a unique environment and then proceeded to tell such a banal story. I'd have much rather heard about what it was like to grow up the daughter of a prostitute in the French Quarter. Instead, we got mere glimpses of what that must have been like while being treated to a rather boring murder mystery. A mystery which could have been set anywhere. Why choose such an interesting setting if you're not going to utilize it? ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I think Ruta Sepetys is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. While I did like Between Shades of Grey better, this book was still amazing and a good debut! It really caught my attention and I didn't want to put the book down once I started! Some parts, as always, were a bit slow, but not enough that I wanted to stop reading. 5 out 5 stars. Amazing book. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
A mature teen or an adult might be interested in this content. ( )
  ElaineKlebenowPlatt | Dec 30, 2015 |

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,307,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible