Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Member:sophronia82
Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teen Fiction
Tags:teen fiction, historical fiction, New Orleans, murder, mystery, romance, family, friendship, prostitution, LGBTQ

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (87)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All (91)
In the book, Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys, it reveals the life of a young girl named Josie Moraine who lives in the French Quarter in the New Orleans, her everyday nightmare is being known as the daughter of a brothel prostitute. Josie, the protagonist is a very determined and independent girl who spends her days working at her happy place, Marlowe’s Bookshop, where soon and behold the key to her future comes through the door and gives a proposal to attend Smith University, a prestigious all girls school. Josie’s life comes crumbling down as she becomes the focal point of a horrid murder generated by her mother and perilous boyfriend Cincinnati while she takes on the dilemma of trying to enroll in Smith University, not to mention she is mixed up in a difficult situationship with two boys whom she both admires. Now that Josie becomes involved in the murder case of Forrest Hearne she is eager to find the truth on what really happened to him and goes on a crazed journey trying to solve his murder. With the help of her mom’s stern boss Willie, Josie finds herself on a rollercoaster ride tackling her acceptance to Smith and to cover her mother’s tracks in the murder case, who knows what will Josie do to protect those she loves very much. This book is definitely a page turner, I highly recommend this .read for anyone who enjoys many exciting surprises and the constant nail biting on what will happen next. - Valerie G. Period 5 ( )
  valerie0212 | Dec 10, 2016 |
I could not put this book down once I got started! I was hooked from the beginning and found the story both compelling and intriguing. I was a little disappointed by the ending, especially the last few pages. However, that did not take away from how much I enjoyed the rest of the book! ( )
  AmberKirbey | Nov 7, 2016 |
This one was a breath of fresh air... I needed something different and Out of Easy exceeded all expectations. It was a historical piece that captured the essence of The French Quarter. It's about a girl that is tied to a brothel and has a Madame as a mother figure. There are a lot of twists and turns, but in the end I was quite satisfied.

The characters in this story captured my heart. Josie was such a strong character. Her mom was worthless and her life wasn't anything to be desired, but she makes the most of it. She works hard and never gives up on her dreams. Her friends may seem underwhelming, but they are kind and she is truly lucky to have them. Her life is made hard by the decisions of her mom. She is tied to a criminal that commits a crime and leaves the town in shambles. Slowly Josie must put the pieces of the puzzle together to uncover the secrets behind the murder. Luckily she has stern Willie in her corner. She was an unconventional character, but I learned to respect her. She cared for Josie and chose to protect her when she had no one else.

The theme of the story was murder mystery meets upper/lower class scandal. It was quirky and heartwarming, but also dangerous and tragic. It's basically a tangle of lies with a mild love triangle. Josie has Patrick, the best friend and Jesse the guy that all the ladies love. She has mixed emotions and puts others in front of herself. It takes a bit for her to figure it all out, but she does and the decisions are genius.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. It was a fun, emotional read that pulled me in and left me feeling like I was in the character's shoes. I definitely recommend it to readers that like time period pieces.
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
It took me a while to get into this, but once I did I loved it. Not the only book I've read recently to hinge on a poor-girl-dreams-of-going-to-college storyline, nor is it the only book I've read where a second hand bookshop features prominently (oh how authors seem to love them, despite the fact they pay no commission to authors!), but it has an individual feel to it, perhaps because of the proximity of the local brothel, home to the protagonist's mother and a host of tarts-with-hearts. I'm setting aside the fact that Josie as the daughter of a prostitute has been brought up in that type of environment and has a mother who would happily turn up to a parent-teacher meeting at school dressed in a fur coat and nothing else, and yet against all theories of nature/nurture, has grown up as level-headed and bookish as you could wish. I liked very much the way the story proceeds gently, one thing leading to another, until close to the end you catch up with the fact that there's a major crisis and think, wow, how did THAT happen? An impressive piece of writing. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 21, 2016 |
This was a fun book to read. It was written for the older teen market but adults will enjoy it just as much. The premise involves the child of a prostitute seeking to better her life through education and getting out of the big easy. I'm from the north and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone wanting to get out of New Orleans! Very enjoyable read. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
--Sir Francis Bacon

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,803,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible