Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Member:sophronia82
Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teen Fiction
Tags:teen fiction, historical fiction, New Orleans, murder, mystery, romance, family, friendship, prostitution, LGBTQ

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

A Northern Light = A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (70)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (73)
Enjoying this immensely. Subject matter definitely for older, high school readers. The first chapter is a little masterpiece!
  twopairsofglasses | Jun 30, 2014 |
Out of the Easy takes place in 1950s New Orleans, a city filled with brothels, mobsters, and secrets. Josie Moraine works for a bookstore and lives above it since she was 12. Her mother is a brothel prostitute who does not have a mothering instinct or any empathy. Josie has always dreamed of leaving behind her sordid family history but a murder in the French quarters draws her back to the seedy underworld of her life and more entrenched in New Orleans.

The book was good but the themes are very mature. I would not recommend this for teens 14 and under. ( )
  sushiroll | Jun 4, 2014 |
“What do you do with all this bank, Josie? Be a lot easier if you just lifted your skirt.”

“The only reason I'd lift my skirt is to pull out my pistol and plug you in the head.”

It's official. Ruta Sepetys is now one of my favorite authors. First, she crushed my heart with [b:Between Shades of Gray|7824322|Between Shades of Gray|Ruta Sepetys|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327873479s/7824322.jpg|10870318], and now, I find myself enamored with Out of the Easy. Her writing is superb, and her characterization skills are envy-worthy.

Out of the Easy is about a girl who is a daughter of a prostitute. All of her friends work as prostitutes, except her. It's her life dream to attend a university on the East Coast, but living in an era where mostly women coming from well-to-do families are encouraged to become educated, Josie finds herself facing countless obstacles. Not only that, but she has to face the problems within her city that soon become a threat to her life.

You know, I'll just go straight out and say it: this book is not for everyone. It’s a very relaxed novel, while at the same time tackling serious issues, which I think some people will not find very entertaining.

Out of the Easy is one of those books that is profound in one of those quiet, haunting ways. I found myself being pulled into the story, wonderfully absorbed by each deeply developed character, and rooting for Josie. I like that it’s not a happy-go-lucky book, nor does it have a very optimistic ending; it’s very realistic in its portrayals of the hardships Josie is forced to face, especially at that point in time and in that setting.

As many other people have said before me, this book is mainly character-driven. And boy, does Sepetys deliver in that department. She’s the queen of characterization, and I don’t think I’ll be forgetting any of the characters anytime soon.

There isn't much emphasis on the setting, which at first seemed like a very bad decision for me. But I am quite sure that this lack of worldbuilding is deliberate on the author's part; if it’s told through Josie’s POV -who hates the city of New Orleans- I would not expect there to be detailed descriptions of the setting.

My theory is that one of the author’s goals in writing this novel is to describe the darker side of New Orleans (which can really apply to any urban city in general). We’re so used to associating New Orleans with this rich, cultured place, and Sepetys is attempting to show us the harsh reality and the blatant falseness of this.

For those of you that are looking for a unique historical fiction novel, this is the book for you. Like I said, it’s very hushed in its brilliance and not fast paced at all; however, it is a very deep and thoughtful coming-of-age tale.

“Let me tell you something 'bout these rich Uptown folk," said Cokie. "They got everything that money can buy, their bank accounts are fat, but they ain't happy. They ain't ever gone be happy. You know why? They soul broke. And money can't fix that, no sir.”
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
I really liked this book, the characters were colorful and well-developed and the story and setting in New Orleans was unique and interesting. ( )
  dinelson | May 4, 2014 |
What can I say about this book? I teach Sepetys' other book Between Shades of Grey to my 8th graders during our Holocaust unit. Sepetys has this gift of storytelling that seems so deep and simple at the same time. Out of The Easy is about a girl who doesn't believe in herself and one day a handsome stranger tells her she will do nothing but great things. In that one chance encounter Josie's life is never the same. This is what I love about Sepetys writing. On the outside the idea is simple, but the book is anything but. I don't want to ruin this book at all, but I know I am going to try to bring it into my classroom, and it has become one of my favorite books I've ever read.
  eddie.fook | Apr 24, 2014 |
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
--Sir Francis Bacon

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible