Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Member:cablesclasses
Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ya, relationships, mother-daughter, college, choices, murder, brothals

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (80)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (84)
I think Ruta Sepetys is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. While I did like Between Shades of Grey better, this book was still amazing and a good debut! It really caught my attention and I didn't want to put the book down once I started! Some parts, as always, were a bit slow, but not enough that I wanted to stop reading. 5 out 5 stars. Amazing book. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
A mature teen or an adult might be interested in this content. ( )
  ElaineKlebenowPlatt | Dec 30, 2015 |
Until a little over half the book, I was pretty sure I was going to give this book at least four stars. As it is, I still enjoyed it a lot.

I enjoy Sepetys's simple, elegant prose. After the powerhouse that was [b:Between Shades of Grey|18133158|Between Shades of Grey|Ruta Sepetys|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433274621s/18133158.jpg|10870318], I hoped she would pull off another great book in Out of the Easy, and she did. The setting and the characters came alive for me instantly. I spent my last spring break in college in New Orleans, and I really enjoyed getting this glimpse into the historical city.

Ultimately, it was Patrick's story arc that really unsettled me. I'm not the kind of person that absolutely rails against love triangles, though I don't necessarily love them either. That being said, the one in this book wasn't annoying. Still, I didn't like how Patrick's story resolved. In the beginning, it seemed like Sepetys was maybe trying to fake us out to surprise us, but what happened was that I felt more attached to Patrick than Jesse, at least at first, and definitely wanted more closure with his story. He's gay, but he doesn't ever explicitly tell Josie--nor does she let him. Then, he just disappears, and in swoops Jesse. I actually liked Jesse, but I didn't like how this was handled. I also don't like the common message of YA romance that the guy who feels steady, safe, and comfortable is boring and wrong for you, whereas the guy you're sometimes scared of is good for you.

But seriously, Josie was just the kind of character you absolutely root for, and there were many poignant moments. There were also quite a lot of pageturning scenes. For example, desperately hoping that Josie will stick to her guns and not prostitute herself like her mother.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and am eager to see what Sepetys will write next. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
A gripping young adult novel - eighteen year old Josie struggles with many tensions in her life. Her mother is a vicious, irresponsible woman, a prostitute, a thief. Josie is a survivor. Set in 1950, New Orleans the novel is well-paced and leads to a nerve-wracking climax. I read it in one day. I did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is the second book I have read by Ruta Sepetys and I must say she is quickly becoming a favorite author to me! This is a well researched, beautifully written 1950's historical. You really get the feel of being in New Orleans in 1950.

Josie (Jo) is a very well written character. She is strong, intelligent and very realistic. She is an extremely believable character with a good blend of strengths and flaws. She is a teenage girl who lives on her own, and wants desperately to get out of New Orleans and go to college. With a prostitute for a mother and no known father her goal seems to be a pipe dream. A sick friend, and a murder mystery just adds to her troubles.

Her mother is an evil piece of work. I loathe her. One of the most self-centered ladies ever! What she does to Jo in this book buts the word awful to shame! Then there is Willie who runs the whorehouse where Jo cleans and her mother sells herself. It took the longest time to make up my mind about her. I like her no nonsense attitude but I always felt that she was hiding something. Then there is Cokie. I loved Cokie. He is the driver for Willie and acts like a uncle and friends to Jo. I think I could have a great time hanging out with him, sweet and fun as he is!

There is a bit a love triangle between her, Patrick and Jesse. Jesse is the ladies man mechanic of the Quarter with a bit of a 'bad boy' edge. Patrick is the son of the owner of the bookstore where she lives and works. The smart intellect, caring for his ill father. Now while I say love triangle it is very mild through a lot of it. It is not drawn out like so many other books these days. Very simple and plausible.

The way everything is written out is perfect. From the clothing, the whorehouse, the Quarter in general.... Every scene was very visible in my mind. You really feel like you are right there with Josie at all times. Seeing, tasting and smelling everything she does. It has a slightly artistic edge and it very evident that Ruta took her time to research New Orleans and the time period. This book comes with my full recommendation for all teenagers and adults. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,987,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible