Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Member:cablesclasses
Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ya, relationships, mother-daughter, college, choices, murder, brothals

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (81)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (85)
I was disappointed with this book. The story held my interest, but it struck me that the author chose to set her story in such a unique environment and then proceeded to tell such a banal story. I'd have much rather heard about what it was like to grow up the daughter of a prostitute in the French Quarter. Instead, we got mere glimpses of what that must have been like while being treated to a rather boring murder mystery. A mystery which could have been set anywhere. Why choose such an interesting setting if you're not going to utilize it? ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I think Ruta Sepetys is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. While I did like Between Shades of Grey better, this book was still amazing and a good debut! It really caught my attention and I didn't want to put the book down once I started! Some parts, as always, were a bit slow, but not enough that I wanted to stop reading. 5 out 5 stars. Amazing book. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
A mature teen or an adult might be interested in this content. ( )
  ElaineKlebenowPlatt | Dec 30, 2015 |
Until a little over half the book, I was pretty sure I was going to give this book at least four stars. As it is, I still enjoyed it a lot.

I enjoy Sepetys's simple, elegant prose. After the powerhouse that was [b:Between Shades of Grey|18133158|Between Shades of Grey|Ruta Sepetys|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433274621s/18133158.jpg|10870318], I hoped she would pull off another great book in Out of the Easy, and she did. The setting and the characters came alive for me instantly. I spent my last spring break in college in New Orleans, and I really enjoyed getting this glimpse into the historical city.

Ultimately, it was Patrick's story arc that really unsettled me. I'm not the kind of person that absolutely rails against love triangles, though I don't necessarily love them either. That being said, the one in this book wasn't annoying. Still, I didn't like how Patrick's story resolved. In the beginning, it seemed like Sepetys was maybe trying to fake us out to surprise us, but what happened was that I felt more attached to Patrick than Jesse, at least at first, and definitely wanted more closure with his story. He's gay, but he doesn't ever explicitly tell Josie--nor does she let him. Then, he just disappears, and in swoops Jesse. I actually liked Jesse, but I didn't like how this was handled. I also don't like the common message of YA romance that the guy who feels steady, safe, and comfortable is boring and wrong for you, whereas the guy you're sometimes scared of is good for you.

But seriously, Josie was just the kind of character you absolutely root for, and there were many poignant moments. There were also quite a lot of pageturning scenes. For example, desperately hoping that Josie will stick to her guns and not prostitute herself like her mother.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and am eager to see what Sepetys will write next. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
A gripping young adult novel - eighteen year old Josie struggles with many tensions in her life. Her mother is a vicious, irresponsible woman, a prostitute, a thief. Josie is a survivor. Set in 1950, New Orleans the novel is well-paced and leads to a nerve-wracking climax. I read it in one day. I did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,000,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible