Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of The Easy (edition 2013)

by Ruta Sepetys

Title:Out of The Easy
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Philomel (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:ya, relationships, mother-daughter, college, choices, murder, brothals

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Recently added bymeggyweg, Jill3170, cabaty, zorrible, private library, davidgn
    A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: Both are excellent stories about strong, intelligent young women desperately trying to leave their difficult home lives behind and get into college and a new life.
    What I Saw And How I Lied by Judy Blundell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The language and details -- especially those surrounding race and class -- of historical periods (1947 What I Saw; 1950s Out of the Easy) create the settings for these stories that intertwine mystery, suspense, and a teen girl's coming of age.… (more)
    French Silk by Sandra Brown (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: Both books are set in New Orleans and have characters that are "fallen" women.
    My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: They are set in Jim Crow New Orleans and are narrated by teenage girls.
    Frozen by Mary Casanova (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: These two books may be set in different parts of the country and different eras but I recommend reading them both as it is a "turn left" situation, kind of a what-if to each other.

English (77)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (81)
A gripping young adult novel - eighteen year old Josie struggles with many tensions in her life. Her mother is a vicious, irresponsible woman, a prostitute, a thief. Josie is a survivor. Set in 1950, New Orleans the novel is well-paced and leads to a nerve-wracking climax. I read it in one day. I did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is the second book I have read by Ruta Sepetys and I must say she is quickly becoming a favorite author to me! This is a well researched, beautifully written 1950's historical. You really get the feel of being in New Orleans in 1950.

Josie (Jo) is a very well written character. She is strong, intelligent and very realistic. She is an extremely believable character with a good blend of strengths and flaws. She is a teenage girl who lives on her own, and wants desperately to get out of New Orleans and go to college. With a prostitute for a mother and no known father her goal seems to be a pipe dream. A sick friend, and a murder mystery just adds to her troubles.

Her mother is an evil piece of work. I loathe her. One of the most self-centered ladies ever! What she does to Jo in this book buts the word awful to shame! Then there is Willie who runs the whorehouse where Jo cleans and her mother sells herself. It took the longest time to make up my mind about her. I like her no nonsense attitude but I always felt that she was hiding something. Then there is Cokie. I loved Cokie. He is the driver for Willie and acts like a uncle and friends to Jo. I think I could have a great time hanging out with him, sweet and fun as he is!

There is a bit a love triangle between her, Patrick and Jesse. Jesse is the ladies man mechanic of the Quarter with a bit of a 'bad boy' edge. Patrick is the son of the owner of the bookstore where she lives and works. The smart intellect, caring for his ill father. Now while I say love triangle it is very mild through a lot of it. It is not drawn out like so many other books these days. Very simple and plausible.

The way everything is written out is perfect. From the clothing, the whorehouse, the Quarter in general.... Every scene was very visible in my mind. You really feel like you are right there with Josie at all times. Seeing, tasting and smelling everything she does. It has a slightly artistic edge and it very evident that Ruta took her time to research New Orleans and the time period. This book comes with my full recommendation for all teenagers and adults. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
While this novel lacks the haunting quality of the author's debut, Between Shades of Gray, this new novel is equally infused with a sense of place. This time, it's sweaty New Orleans and a house of ill repute run by a madam whose tough exterior belies a deep affection. As the heroine moves into adulthood, she leverages what she can to discover a new life for herself. Recommended. (78) ( )
  activelearning | Feb 23, 2015 |
Readers are in for a treat from the very first page as the author describes 1950 New Orleans so vividly you can almost smell the Cajun cooking wafting from open windows. Our heroine, Josie is a character that inspires readers with her bravery and resourcefulness. Her mother is a prostitute, a selfish woman who neglects her daughter and wants only for material things. Josie desperately wants to go to college and does all that she can to make that dream a reality. She works hard in high school and has two part time jobs; one in a bookstore, where she also keeps a one room apartment, and another running errands and doing housework in the brothel where her mother works and lives. When her mother gets involved with a mobster and a man is found dead Josie gets caught up in a mystery that threaten ruin all her plans for new life. ( )
  knitwit2 | Dec 20, 2014 |
Sepetys, Ruta
Out of the Easy
2014. 368 pp. $8.99 pb. Speak. 0147508436. Grades 8-up.

Tags: New Orleans, French Quarter, Big Easy, heroine, abuse, coming of age, historical fiction, southern literature, 1950’s, brothel, Louisiana, prostitution, young adult, teen

Josie Moran has been dealt a hand of unreasonable circumstances. The daughter of a prostitute, Josie grows up in the seedy underworld of the New Orleans French Quarter in the 1950’s. She learns at a young age not to depend on her selfish mother and develops a determined and independent spirit. Refusing to travel down her mother’s road, Josie makes a plan to escape and sets her sights on a college far away. Through several plot twists, Josie finds herself tangled in a predicament of her mother’s doing, and assumes that her developed resourcefulness and intelligence may not be enough for her to escape the clutches of the city. This novel successfully draws the reader into the scenes of this 1950’s southern society, though vivid descriptions of the region and time period are merely compliments to the richly developed characters. In the end, Josie proves to be a strong–willed heroine who succeeds at breaking the cycle and creating her own future, despite the many obstacles. Though this coming of age novel contains mature themes, it is certain to enhance the historical fiction section in a young adult library. ( )
  ginawilliams | Oct 22, 2014 |

Josie, the seventeen-year-old daughter of a French Quarter prostitute, is striving to escape 1950 New Orleans and enroll at prestigious Smith College when she becomes entangled in a murder investigation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,752,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible