The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Long Winter (1940)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Series: Little House (6)

English (67)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
Yup, it's just as good as I remember. What a survival story. I think Wilder was pretty gutsy to depict that long slide into starvation and endless cold in a children's book. The fight against despair while trapped by a winter that lasted seven months was powerful. And setting the first two chapters in the hot summer was a brilliant move. I like the stories so much, I forget what a good writer she was. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Well, the title sort of gives the main plot of this story away, but it's still a good read! The Ingalls family is in the town of De Smet in the Dakota Territory, and they are hit hard by the brutal winter of 1880-1881. Like running out of food hard! The heroic efforts of Almanzo Wilder and Cap Garland (and their horses) are pretty amazing to read, and the Christmas in May is as heartwarming as can be! A bleak story throughout, but as you can guess by the numbering of these books, they make it through! On to #7! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 29, 2018 |
If you know me at all, you know how much I hate being cold. Winter is the worst! This book is my worst nightmare. Snow. Way below zero temps. Freezing winds. No food. I like to think I am a hearty pioneer gal, but in my heart I know I love food and sunshine way too much. But, much like Laura, I would survive, because I'm strong like a bull.

A comically stereotypical Indian, straight from central casting, walks into the store in town and warns the white people that a big heap long winter is coming. He's basically ignored by everyone but Pa and the Wilder Boys, because they are smarter than everyone else. Plus handsome and talented and funny. But I digress. The winter comes, the trains stop, and the whole town is on the brink of death. Literally. Luckily for the entire town of DeSmet, Almanzo and Cap have more bravery than sense, and they go on a foolhardy mission to save the town.

I love this one. 4 stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
On the empty winter prairie, gray clouds to the northwest meant only one thing; a blizzard was seconds away. The first blizzard came in October. It snowed almost without stopping until April.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I can only imagine how hard that winter was. Going months without ever really being warm.

I had forgotten what a rough life Laura had. ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 11, 2017 |

Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The mowing machine's whirring sounded cheerfully from the old buffalo wallow south of the claim shanty, where bluestem grass stood thick and tall and Pa was cutting it for hay.

The adventures of Laura Ingalls and her family continue as Pa, Ma, Laura, Mary, Carrie, and little Grace bravely face the hard winter of 1880-81 in their little house in the Dakota Territory. Blizzards cover the little town with snow, cutting off all supplies from the outside. Soon there is almost no food left, so young Almanzo Wilder and a friend make a dangerous trip across the prairie to find some wheat. Finally a joyous Christmas is celebrated in a very unusual way in this most exciting of all the Little House books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

After an October blizzard, Laura's family moves from the claim shanty into town for the winter, a winter that an Indian has predicted will be seven months of bad weather.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,537,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible