The Once and Future King by T.H. White

The Once and Future King (original 1958; edition 1987)

by T.H. White

9,822None289 (4.1)2 / 462
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:The Once and Future King
Authors:T.H. White
Info:Collins (1987), Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, fantasy, tbr

The Once and Future King by T.H. White (Author) (1958)

20th century (104) Arthur (123) Arthurian (515) Arthurian legend (276) Arthuriana (60) British (91) British literature (72) Camelot (80) classic (249) classics (172) England (121) English literature (59) fantasy (1,563) fiction (1,407) Folio Society (64) historical (66) historical fiction (156) King Arthur (457) knights (62) literature (145) magic (91) medieval (83) Merlin (155) mythology (169) novel (212) own (63) read (132) sff (70) to-read (166) unread (107)

English (119)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (124)
T.H. White's classic telling of the King Arthur story stands up to time because it is simply and beautifully written. It's actually four books, the last of which ("The Candle in the Wind") doesn't quite hold up to the promise of the first three, but is worth reading nonetheless. White interprets Sir Thomas Malory's "Le Morte d'Artur" as well as creating Arthurian myths of his own.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
Truly astonishing. At the end I was crying, not just because it is sad (though it is, devastatingly so) or because it is beautiful (though it is that too), but also because it was ending.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I read this for school in fifth grade and would kind of like to reread it to see what I'd think of it today. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
A rewrite of Arthurian Legend combining other works into one great book of 600 plus pages that traces Arthur through childhood to old age. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
Where to begin? Using a word now fashionable but used differently in the past, let me say that this book was epic. It has its faults, and I didn't understand about half of the first two books in the tome. But I felt very much rewarded, because when Lancelot steps into the fray, the story becomes so modern it's gasp worthy. Funny guy, Lancelot. I have some things in common with him. I'm as hideous as he was, and I also had my Elaine, for a while. I thought however that Lancelot overstepped his boundaries when he went rescuing his love. I don't know what the intended effect was. But for me Lancelot ceased to be a hero then. The author kept double daring us readers to side against the knight. I had so much to tell having read this book. I'm forgetting the nuances of this medieval tale already. I don't know who invented the wheel - does anyone? - but Terence Hanbury White perfected the love triangle. This book is a must. Read it and you won't weep. ( )
  Jiraiya | Nov 15, 2013 |
It knits together the funny, the moving, the fanciful and the psychologically astute in a rich tapestry of the medieval age of chivalry... Whatever else it is or is not. this is a book of profound patriotic piety which glorifies Arthur as the father of his country, and finds in the childlike wonder and faith of medieval England the crucible of future English greatness.
added by Shortride | editTime (Sep 8, 1958)

White, T.H.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jason, NevilleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marvin, FredericCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vat, Daan van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She is not any common earth

Water or wood or air,

But Merlin's Isle of Gramarye

Where you and I will fare.
When shall I be dead and rid
Of the wrong my father did?
How long, how long, till spade and hearse
Put to sleep my mother's curse?
"Nay," said Sir Lancelot "... for

once shamed may never be recovered."
"He thought a little and said:

'I have found the Zoological Gardens of service to many of my patients.  I should prescribe for Mr. Pontifex a course of the larger mammals.  Don't let him think he is taking them medicinally...'
For J.A.J.A.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays it was Court Hand and Summulae Logicales, while the rest of the week it was the Organon, Repetition and Astrology. The governess was always getting muddled - she would take it out of the Wart by rapping his knuckles.
These editions of The Once and Future King do NOT contain the Book of Merlyn. Please do not combine with the editions that DO contain the Book of Merlyn.

The whole world knows and loves this book.  It is the magical epic of King Arthur and his shining Camelot; of Merlyn and Owl and Guinevere; of beasts who talk and men who fly; of wizardry and war.  It is the book of all things lost and wonderful and sad.  It is the fantasy masterpiece by which all others are judged.

A revised omnibus edition of White's retelling of Arthurian legends. The first three sections of this book were originally published separately: The Sword in the Stone (1939), The Witch in the Wood (1939; here called "The Queen of Air and Darkness"), The Ill-Made Knight (1940), and the previously unpublished section, "The Candle in the Wind." The Book of Merlyn, written in 1941, was originally intended as the fifth and final book of the saga. It was first published by the University of Texas Press in 1977 and reissued by Berkley, 1978 (pap.). The whole world knows and loves this book. It is the magical epic of King Arthur and his shining Camelot; of Merlin and Owl and Guinevere; of beasts who talk and men who fly, of wizardry and war. It is the book of all things lost and wonderful and sad. It is the fantasy masterpiece by which all others are judged.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible