The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera (1910)

by Gaston Leroux

7,919138415 (3.78)254
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Anonymous user)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (sturlington)
    Those Rosy Hours at Mazandaran by Marion Grace Woolley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Those Rosy Hours takes a few brief mentions of a minor character in The Phantom of the Opera and turns it into a whole, enthralling story of desire and death.
    The Scarlett Pimpernel (TineOliver)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both have "monsters" holding the object of their affection captive

English (127)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (138)
Love triangle with a ghost. Kept me occupied ( )
  jenniebooks | Jun 25, 2017 |
Confusing, you must read it twice. This is the original story that the first, silent, movie is based off of, the Broadway musical, and it's movie. The Phantom is a troubled man who had fallen in love with the talented Christine Daae, orphan and soprano of the Parisian Opera House. She meets her childhood friend, Raoul, who is a bit of a pansy and who she loves. Raoul and the Persian must eventually follow Christine into the Phantom's abode, where disaster strikes. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
“I want to have a wife like everybody else and to take her out on Sundays. I have invented a mask that makes me look like anybody. People will not even turn round in the streets. You will be the happiest of women. And we will sing, all by ourselves, till we swoon away with delight. You are crying! You are afraid of me! And yet I am not really wicked. Love me and you shall see! All I wanted was to be loved for myself. If you loved me I should be as gentle as a lamb; and you could do anything with me that you pleased.”

Poor, unhappy Erik.

As many people know, the Phantom of the Opera's plot is like the fairytale Beauty and the Beast with tragic ending instead of a happy one. The beast, the Opera Ghost, named Erik lived under a Opera House. He haunted it with his craftsmanship of trickery and illusions. Christine Daae, on the other hand, was an opera singer who were lured by the Opera Ghost; she believed that Erik was the Angel of Music. Raoul de Chagny was her lover.

The author succeeded in interlocking his story to the real facts and events in real life. At the beginning, for a moment there, I was beginning to believe the story was real. But, I remember this book is under fiction. haha. I had a lull moment in the middle part which caused me to do something else and not finish this book at once. I picked the momentum again by reading ChapterXX (That's why I do not easily give up on books). I like the part of the Persian until the end of the book. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I loved this. I've always been entranced by the phantom of the opera. Reading this made me so happy. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |

Teague, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wakana, Hitoshisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitener, BarrettNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opera ghost really existed.
None will ever be a true Parisian who has not learned to wear a mask of gaiety over his sorrows and one of sadness, boredom or indifference over his inward joy.
This work refers to full text unabridged versions of The Phantom of the Opera (including translations).

Abridged or early reader versions which do not contain the full text should not be combined here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060809248, Mass Market Paperback)

The novel that inspired the Lon Chaney film and the hit musical. "The wildest and most fantastic of tales."--New York Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

A disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opera House falls in love with a beautiful soprano and, in his desperation to have his love returned, embarks on some terrifying means towards that end.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035935, 0141191503

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102766, 1400108993

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676659, 1909676667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible