dismiss

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera (1910)

by Gaston Leroux

A viscount seeks to unravel the mystery of the Paris Opera House and rescue the woman he loves from the threat of the phantom of the opera.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Anonymous user)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (sturlington)
    Those Rosy Hours at Mazandaran by Marion Grace Woolley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Those Rosy Hours takes a few brief mentions of a minor character in The Phantom of the Opera and turns it into a whole, enthralling story of desire and death.
    The Scarlett Pimpernel (TineOliver)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both have "monsters" holding the object of their affection captive

English (148)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (159)
This is a story of love, passion, obsession, music, and murder.

If only I had enjoyed it.

The overall plot was interesting. However, I found the writing style quite dull, the characters were without substance and some blended together, and much (but not all) of the story weaved around the plot was boring.

That said, that's only my opinion, so please don't let this discourage you from trying this book for yourselves. There's a reason it's a classic. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
This is another one of those foreign language (French) novels that has a dozen awful translations with omissions and additions. The new translation by David Coward is supposed to be true to the original. I found no complaints with the style of the translation and the notes to be quite helpful. The story itself is a love story/Gothic horror that differs a fair amount from Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical production. Interesting and entertaining. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
I read this book for the "A Book Written Before 1920" part of my 2018 reading challenge. I enjoyed it, it was much like the musical but also provided a lot more back story. It made it much more "real" and less fantasy. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I felt the ambiguous ending did not do justice to the extreme descriptions in the rest of the work. I felt confused as to how the Persian and Raoul ended their stories. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I received this digital review copy from Poisoned Pen Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

Buddy read with Nana but she DNF'd it lol ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I've been wanting to read this book for a while, as the musical is one of my favorites (and I'm annoyingly picky about musicals, so that's saying something) and the movie is definitely what made me the spooky aesthetic trash goblin I am today (and don't give me hate for liking the movie lol)

But I really don't know how to feel about this book. It really wasn't what I expected, and until the last half, I was really enjoying it. But the last half didn't ruin things, nor was it horrible, so I really don't know what's going on. I'm just gonna dump my feelings here and leave it be.

Christine really surprised me. I kinda expected her to be a piece of soggy cardboard, like Esmeralda from Hunchback, but no, she's actually pretty legit. She behaves like a human being (at least as much as the rest of the cast behaves like human beings) and I found myself really liking her and wanting her to succeed. She definitely has her flaws, but she's less of an idiot than her musical and film counterparts and I really appreciated that.

Raoul is just as annoying, if not infinitely more so. This dude reacts like a spoiled brat every time Christine dares do anything whatsoever without his prior approval. And he's constantly--and I mean CONSTANTLY--judging her and assuming she's a slut. Honestly, in the last half, he was giving me some serious Esmeralda vibes because of how whiny he was. And the insta love was only partly acceptable because there was established history behind it, but insta love is still insta love, especially when the two lacked any chemistry whatsoever. It was horrible decision versus even worse decision for poor Christine, honestly.

The Phantom, kind of like Frollo from Hunchback, was a crying mess. He's not very spooky, not very threatening, and not really very, idk, interesting? All the mystery goes out the window, which for what is largely a mystery novel, I didn't appreciate. He was, strangely, kind of a Gary Stu, which I really didn't expect whatsoever. The only thing I did like about him was that he's legitimately ugly af instead of hot on one side of his face and marginally gross on the other.

The plot was generally ok. Like I said earlier, I liked the first half a lot (and since I'm planning on writing a Phantom of the Opera retelling sometime in the future, it gave me a lot of good ideas) but the last half felt strangely rushed and like it dragged at the same time. The humorous interludes with the managers were really funny but they killed the pacing and tension, and I had a hard time imagining some of the set-pieces, especially the torture chamber. Add to that my dislike for most of the main characters, and you've got yourself an iffy book at best. Perhaps if it had been a bit more gothic (not necessarily gothic romance, though that would have been nice, but gothic horror) then I'd have liked it more. It promised me spooks, but it gave me a bunch of losers and a comic book villain instead.

And wtf is up with the rat-catcher??? Can anyone explain this to me??? I'm like??? So confused?????? ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Was inspired by

TO MY BROTHER JO

Who, though he is not at all ghostly, is nevertheless,

like Erik, an Angel of Music

Affectionately,

Gaston Leroux
The opera ghost really existed.
None will ever be a true Parisian who has not learned to wear a mask of gaiety over his sorrows and one of sadness, boredom or indifference over his inward joy.
This work refers to full text unabridged versions of The Phantom of the Opera (including translations).

Abridged or early reader versions which do not contain the full text should not be combined here.

A deformed genius,
The opera's unseen master,
The book is better.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035935, 0141191503

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102766, 1400108993

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676659, 1909676667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,479,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible