The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera (1910)

by Gaston Leroux

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Anonymous user)
    Those Rosy Hours at Mazandaran by Marion Grace Woolley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Those Rosy Hours takes a few brief mentions of a minor character in The Phantom of the Opera and turns it into a whole, enthralling story of desire and death.
    The Scarlett Pimpernel (TineOliver)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both have "monsters" holding the object of their affection captive

English (106)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (116)
A very engaging reading. It gives a depth to the story whichvwas lost in the musical. It adds a passion that I wish was in the stage show. I was entranced by the range of emotion and insanity displayed by Erik. Also by the desperation of lovers torn apart by unrequited love.

I reccrecommend this to anyone who loves a true classic.
  Lizdugan | Apr 8, 2015 |
A deformed man, obsessively in love with a young singer, haunts the Paris Opera House.

I listened to this classic as an audiobook, a first for me (other than kids' books). I think this was a good way to experience the book, as I didn't worry so much over the French names or phrases, or the archaic writing style, and instead just absorbed the story as best as I could. It's kind of a potboiler, isn't it? I'm sure I missed some details, but it was entertaining while walking or riding in the car. I hope to continue to "read" more classics using this method.

Listened to the audiobook in 2015. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 5, 2015 |
Very exciting! ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 10, 2015 |
One of my favorite books ever!!!
This is just a beautiful story, the best way to read it is by listening to the songs played in the story as you read through.
Absolutely everything about this book was beautiful and very engrossing.This is one of the most fascinating books i have ever come across, it keeps you in this very dark and romantic place.
This is the story of Erik, better known as the Phantom of the opera, Erik was indeed a real phantom, a phantom in the only way phantoms could ever exist, who had been a victim of a cosmetic birth defect, which drowned him in and inmense self pity keeping him from contributing to humanity with all his talents.
I will have to warn you, this is a very sad story that will make you feel lots of feelings, it brought tears to my eyes a few times.
And the last chapters are just wonderful. ( )
  karlapre | Jan 9, 2015 |
Not as good as I had hoped, but still interesting. I guess I just prefer the musical. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 9, 2015 |

Hildebrandt, GregoryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teague, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitener, BarrettNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opera ghost really existed.
None will ever be a true Parisian who has not learned to wear a mask of gaiety over his sorrows and one of sadness, boredom or indifference over his inward joy.
This work refers to full text unabridged versions of The Phantom of the Opera (including translations).

Abridged or early reader versions which do not contain the full text should not be combined here.

blurb: In a cavernous, the lights dim. A beautiful young soprano, Christine Daae, comes onstage to sing Marguerite in Gounod’s ‘Faust’. In the audience, the Vicomte de Chagny is overcome with love. But unbeknownst to Chagny, he has a rival for the singer’s affections: the Opera Ghost, a spectre sometimes called the Angel of Music.This is the appropriately gothic set up for The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux’s enduringly popular thriller. With a plot as convoluted as the hidden passages beneath the opera house and a cast of characters as numerous as the chorus of Aida, the novel works its spell through a sheer accumulation of intricate detail and shadowy menace. A falling chandelier (taken from a true incident) and an underground lake add to the gloom and dread. The novel, richer than any of it’s adaptations, is best read at night, with the lights turned low, and with music - ‘Faust’, perhaps - playing softly in the background.

AR7.1, 12 Pts

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060809248, Mass Market Paperback)

The novel that inspired the Lon Chaney film and the hit musical. "The wildest and most fantastic of tales."--New York Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

A disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opera House falls in love with a beautiful soprano and, in his desperation to have his love returned, embarks on some terrifying means towards that end.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035935, 0141191503

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676659, 1909676667

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,933,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible