The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera (1910)

by Gaston Leroux

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Anonymous user)
    The Scarlett Pimpernel (TineOliver)
    The Night of Elisa by Isis Sousa (isissousa)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both have "monsters" holding the object of their affection captive

English (103)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (112)
The monster who wishes to love and the beautiful woman who can't be stuck with said monster. She instead shows interest in a dashing young proper looking man. What can the phantom do but kidnap her? You should read it if you like mysteries at the opera house. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Back when I bought the book, I do remember that I hadn't seen the movie so that I wouldn't ruin any images that I might formulate, but on second thought, perhaps it would've been better if I had had watched the movie before start reading it. I think I had to stop reading two or three times because it is too boring. Since the beginning my favorite character was the phantom and, for some reason, I hated Christine's childhood friend. Maybe that helped for me not liking the book.

Ok, I know that judging the book in favor of a certain character is not cool, but I just couldn't help it. I thought that the Phantom was such a well-elaborated character, but the main romance was just too sugarish for my own taste.

Perhaps I read this book with the wrong mood and now that I've seen the movie, maybe I start thinking differently if I ever decide to read it once again. It's a book for those who appreciate the classical romances, but it's just not the book for me. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Meh....give me the musical!!!! "runs to put Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman on her iTunes...and Ramin Karimloo..." ( )
  FutureMrsJoshGroban | Aug 4, 2014 |
How many people realize that "The Phantom of the Opera" is actually based on true events? I certainly did not. This gripping tale came to life for me after reading this book. Highly recommended! ( )
  mgeorge2755 | May 14, 2014 |

Hildebrandt, GregoryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teague, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitener, BarrettNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The opera ghost really existed.
None will ever be a true Parisian who has not learned to wear a mask of gaiety over his sorrows and one of sadness, boredom or indifference over his inward joy.
This work refers to full text unabridged versions of The Phantom of the Opera (including translations).

Abridged or early reader versions which do not contain the full text should not be combined here.

blurb: In a cavernous, the lights dim. A beautiful young soprano, Christine Daae, comes onstage to sing Marguerite in Gounod’s ‘Faust’. In the audience, the Vicomte de Chagny is overcome with love. But unbeknownst to Chagny, he has a rival for the singer’s affections: the Opera Ghost, a spectre sometimes called the Angel of Music.This is the appropriately gothic set up for The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux’s enduringly popular thriller. With a plot as convoluted as the hidden passages beneath the opera house and a cast of characters as numerous as the chorus of Aida, the novel works its spell through a sheer accumulation of intricate detail and shadowy menace. A falling chandelier (taken from a true incident) and an underground lake add to the gloom and dread. The novel, richer than any of it’s adaptations, is best read at night, with the lights turned low, and with music - ‘Faust’, perhaps - playing softly in the background.

AR7.1, 12 Pts

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060809248, Mass Market Paperback)

The novel that inspired the Lon Chaney film and the hit musical. "The wildest and most fantastic of tales."--New York Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:37 -0400)

A disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opera House falls in love with a beautiful soprano and, in his desperation to have his love returned, embarks on some terrifying means towards that end.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035935, 0141191503

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible