The Black Stallion's Courage by Walter…

The Black Stallion's Courage (1956)

by Walter Farley

If you want to know what life is like at the racetrack, pick up one of Walter Farley's books! It is incredibly hard to find an author who captures the essence of the horse, the race, or the track the way Farley does. To top all of that off, he is an amazing adventure writer for anyone in the mood for a quick chapter book read. Some parts of the story are a little contrived, but that was the adventure style of the time. I will always say that young readers who love horses should be given this book (indeed, the entire series) as a gift. They are guaranteed to enjoy it over and over again. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 12, 2014 |
Not the strongest entry in the series. Everyone is angry in this book. There's more shouting than usual. Henry shouts his way from the first page to the last. There are some races, which are wonderful. Is it a spoiler if I say that The Black wins most of 'em?

I wish I could travel in time to one of the races Farley was basing these on- I want to see the scrum of reporters elbowing each other to get to the jockey, I want to see the trainers shutting the top stall door in their faces. And I want everyone to be wearing a fedora.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read all of the Black Stallion books when I was a child and I loved them. I still have the book. ( )
  cinamingrl | Oct 25, 2008 |
Alec Ramsay opened his eyes and stared into the darkness of his bedroom.

When Hopeful Farm burns down, Alec’s dreams for the future go up in smoke. How can he get the money to rebuild? To make matters worse, a strong young colt named Eclipse has taken the racing world by storm, threatening to replace the Black in the hearts of racing fans. Against all odds, Alec sets out to save the farm and prove that the Black is still the greatest race horse of all time!
“Everyone loves a champion. And when the champion is a gallant horse, when his story is told by a champion writer of horse stories, every reader is a winner.”—The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

In order to raise money to rebuild a one-hundred-thousand-dollar barn, destroyed by fire, Alec returns to racing the Black.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,051,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible