Every Day is an Atheist Holiday!: More…

by Penn Jillette

Member:bookwormteri
Title:Every Day is an Atheist Holiday!: More Magical Tales from the Author of God, No!
Authors:Penn Jillette
Info:Blue Rider Press (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, essays, atheism, 2013

Every Day is an Atheist Holiday!: More Magical Tales from the Author of God, No! by Penn Jillette

Waivers between three and four stars. Final determination to be revealed with thorough and thoughtfully-written review in the near future. ( )
  LibStre | May 16, 2014 |
Do I know Penn and Teller? No. Would that change my opinion of the book if I did? I have no clue. What I can say is if you get around the shock value, there are some interesting points made in the book. The problem will be dissociating from the noise in your head to hear what he is saying.

Why it gets a 4 is because if you take the time to read it for the ideas, you might actually start to think. Do I agree with him? No we have some differences of opinion such as his belief that humans are essentially good. Do I agree with the way some of them are presented? Nope... even if I agree with the concept. But that is what makes life interesting. Not agreeing and actually hearing. That's were discourse starts. ( )
  pjh1984 | Apr 13, 2013 |
Wonderful, amusing, laugh out loud funny, read out loud to random people written well. Penn Jillette, I will read anything you write. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jan 10, 2013 |

Let's just get this out of the way first. If you love Penn Jillette, you'll probably love this book. If you hate Penn Jillette, you'll probably hate this book. Now for everybody else...

Every Day is An Atheist Holiday is a series of anecdotes and reminiscences loosely arranged around the theme of holidays (Halloween, Canadian Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). Some chapters deal directly with the religiosity of the holiday or the secularism of the author, but others are just brief memoirs or musings that relate indirectly to the holiday in question. Of course a lot of chapters aren't about holidays at all, like the chapter devoted almost entirely to Jillette's stints on The Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing With the Stars.

As with nearly everything that Penn Jillette says and does, I agree with much of it, but I hate agreeing with him because he's such a...oh, I'm struggling for a more cerebral, less profane way of saying what I really mean...well, he's a boorish, pompous ass. He's like Michael Moore, I suppose. I almost always agree with Michael Moore, but I also kind of hate being on his side because he's such a jackass sometimes.

So, yes, Every Day is an Atheist Holiday is a good read. If you're a huge fan of Penn & Teller, it's probably a GREAT read. If you can't stand Penn Jillette, you probably shouldn't even bother. I was somewhere in the middle.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Oct 29, 2012 |

A collection of spiritual observations and complaints riffs on such topics as Christmas carols, children's birthday parties, and ridiculous holiday celebrations.

23 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible