Astray by Emma Donoghue

Astray (2012)

by Emma Donoghue

The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits by Emma Donoghue (Cariola)
    Cariola: A similar collection of short stories, also based on historical figures, by the same author.

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Great stories based on historical facts. Crisp, moving haunting writing. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Exciting premise with historical documents following each fictionalized account!

Unfortunately, the stories are universally sad and depressing. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 4, 2018 |
Short stories based on/inspired by tiny bits of history. Each has its own voice and feel; very well achieved. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Emma Donahue's collection of short stories has each been inspired by true historical accounts from throughout North American history. She has a unique gift for imagining into being rich, specific details to fill in the contextual back stories are rarely told about in newspaper clippings. In The Widow's Cruse, Donahue cleverly extrapolates an O'Henry-style ending from a 1730's news story about a woman's disappearance. In The Hunt, she manages to bring some elements of human interconnection to a brutal wartime episode in New Jersey. Each tale is, in its own way, a wondrous gem. ( )
  Nica6 | Feb 11, 2018 |
A collection of short stories about people who are, as the author describes them, "emigrants, immigrants, adventurers, and runaways" of one sort or another. These are all real, but not famous, people from history -- mostly the 19th century, although Donoghue wanders as far back as the 17th century and as far forward as the mid-20th -- or fictional people in real historical circumstances.

I wasn't too sure how I felt about this collection to begin with. The first few stories struck me as decent enough, but not particularly engaging. But the more I read, the better I liked them, and the more affecting I found them. Some more so than others, of course, but the best of them have a subtle poignancy (even, or perhaps especially, when they're dealing with very dark subject matter) that really worked for me, and, taken as a whole, I think it all adds up to something quite interesting. ( )
  bragan | Jan 8, 2018 |
Tell us underneath what skies,
Upon what coasts of earth we have been cast;
We wander, ignorant of men and places,
And driven by the wind and the vast waves.
-Virgil, The Aeneid,
translated by Allen Mandelbaum (1971)
Off your tuck this morning, aren't you?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206296, Hardcover)

The fascinating characters that roam across the pages of Emma Donoghue's stories have all gone astray: they are emigrants, runaways, drifters, lovers old and new. They are gold miners and counterfeiters, attorneys and slaves. They cross other borders too: those of race, law, sex, and sanity. They travel for love or money, incognito or under duress.

With rich historical detail, the celebrated author of Room takes us from puritan Massachusetts to revolutionary New Jersey, antebellum Louisiana to the Toronto highway, lighting up four centuries of wanderings that have profound echoes in the present. Astray offers us a surprising and moving history for restless times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

A collection of short stories featuring a cross-section of society including runaways, drifters, gold miners, counterfeiters, attorneys, and slaves from Puritan Massachusetts and revolutionary New Jersey to antebellum Louisiana.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible