January First: A Child's Descent into…

January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's… (edition 2012)

by Michael Schofield

1925761,408 (4.07)11
Member:janesville
Title:January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her
Authors:Michael Schofield
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*

January first : a child's descent into madness and her father's struggle to save her by Michael Schofield

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A gripping memoir of a family's harrowing journey through child-onset schizophrenia, told from the perspective of the dad. Never in my life have I read a memoir that left me so strongly wishing I could read someone else's perspective. The author was so very enmeshed with his daughter and her mental illness, I wished I could read what the mom, or the professionals who diagnosed January, had to say. I'm curious about the family and how their "solution" to the problem has panned out for them. Maybe there'll be a sequel one day. ( )
  Alirambles | Jan 12, 2014 |
Those of us with special needs children will often tell you that having a disabled child is a life changing event. It is both the worst nightmare of any parent and an eventual blessing in disguise. All previous expectations are thrown to the side and reality forces the parents to adopt newer hopes and dreams. However, even in the darkest of times no parent could imagine being without their child. The idea of their child not existing is both nauseating and horrific. As a parent of two special needs children I have experienced all spectrums of emotions when it comes to my kids. I have learned to take life day by day and to move with the waves of chaos. This book is about another family struggling with a daughter who has profound emotional disabilities. She is a beautiful child that is both gifted and tortured by the brilliance of her mind. Her name is January and she is schizophrenic. This book is a constant demonstration of how her parents have juggled both the violence and peace of mental illness. It is a challenging book that raises awareness on the lack of support for all parents struggling with special needs children. There is a constant sense of despair in this book, but also a well of hope. Will January receive the help that she desperately needs? Will her parents manage to balance both marriage and care? Most of all, will January show the world that she truly is an undiscovered genius?

This book was challenging for me on many levels. As a mother of two special needs children I could really relate to what the author was writing about. I found myself having to put the book down for an emotional break, since I wanted to strangle the people in the hospitals due to their lack of education. At times I wanted the author to leave his wife, who I found to be almost useless during the entire book. I kept a constant vigil for January and her father as he worked hard to save her mind. This book is an excellent example of what parents of children with mental illness struggle with every day. My seven year old daughter is similar to January and we have found ourselves at wits end time and time again in the last 3 years. However, we have not had to endure the rounds of hospital stays that January has endured. I highly recommend this book for any parent of a special needs child. I believe that it is important to support all families in our community. There is an invisible bond that binds parents with challenging children. It is an unspoken understanding that causes the heart to move to patience when watching another parent struggle with their child. I honestly believe that January is going to go far in life and she will surprise many people. I personally want to tell the author that he is both a talented writer and an excellent father. I believe with every fiber of my being she is going to outwit her illness and tame it to her satisfaction. Where there is faith there is hope and that is a powerful weapon. I send much love and light to the author and am truly looking forward to an update on January and her brother. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Dec 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fascinating and moving and horrifying story about a father, his daughter with schizophrenia, and the impact to his family and his marriage. It soon becomes clear that there are so few options for the co-victims of mental health disorders. We watch in horror as the train wreck occurs again and again, and the parents are the only ones to pick up the pieces, even when there is no strength left to pick up the pieces. Yet they do so because there is no one else.

Years later they do arrive at a new reality that is survivable.

I heartily recommend you follow along on this dad's journey with his daughter. ( )
  varroa | Oct 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not want to put this book down. Mr. Schofield writes beautifully of his struggle to figure out what is going on with his five year old daughter. She has invisible friends that she insists are not imaginary. She lashes out if you say they are pretend or call her by the "wrong" name. She becomes incredibly violent at the drop of a hat.

Just heartbreaking. The book was impossible to put down and get anything done. I cannot imagine going through what the Schofields did. The writing was amazing and the story is horrific and beautifully told. ( )
  bookwormteri | Oct 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the true story of a very young girl who is diagnosed with schizophrenia and her parents struggle to help her. I found this story heartbreaking and difficult to read but also extremely interesting. I found some of the author's rationalizations and behaviors difficult to take but do not wish to criticize him. I think this story accurately portrays exactly what is wrong with the mental health system today especially in regards to children and young adults. Because this story and the story of our mental health system need to be known, any criticisms I have with this book or the author are not important. What is important is that you should read this book. ( )
  bookaholicgirl | Sep 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307719081, Hardcover)

Michael Schofield’s daughter January is at the mercy of her imaginary friends, except they aren’t the imaginary friends that most young children have; they are hallucinations. And January is caught in the conflict between our world and their world, a place she calls Calalini.  Some of these hallucinations, like “24 Hours,” are friendly and some, like “400 the Cat” and “Wednesday the Rat,” bite and scratch her until she does what they want.  They often tell her to scream at strangers, jump out of buildings, and attack her baby brother.

At six years old, January Schofield, “Janni,” to her family, was diagnosed with schizophrenia, one of the worst mental illnesses known to man.  What’s more, schizophrenia is 20 to 30 times more severe in children than in adults and in January’s case, doctors say, she is hallucinating 95 percent of the time that she is awake. Potent psychiatric drugs that would level most adults barely faze her.

A New York Times bestseller, January First captures Michael and his family's remarkable story in a narrative that forges new territory within books about mental illness. In the beginning, readers see Janni’s incredible early potential: her brilliance, and savant-like ability to learn extremely abstract concepts. Next, they witnesses early warning signs that something is not right, Michael’s attempts to rationalize what’s happening, and his descent alongside his daughter into the abyss of schizophrenia.  Their battle has included a two-year search for answers, countless medications and hospitalizations, allegations of abuse, despair that almost broke their family apart and, finally, victories against the illness and a new faith that they can create a life for Janni filled with moments of happiness.

A compelling, unsparing and passionate account, January First vividly details Schofield’s commitment to bring his daughter back from the edge of insanity.  It is a father’s soul-baring memoir of the daily struggles and challenges he and his wife face as they do everything they can to help Janni while trying to keep their family together.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:38 -0400)

A brilliant and harrowingly honest memoir, this is the extraordinary story of a father's fight to save his child from an extremely severe case of mental illness in the face of overwhelming adversity.

148 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her by Michael Schofield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,640,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible